Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marines Please Come In

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also a quick update for you guy's. I can't join active and only reserve because of my 3 dependent's. They showed me some book that has the rule in there. Also I have 2 more questions.

Question 1/ Can they change your MOS when you are already out of Boot or down the line???

Question 2/ How did any of you that have a slight fear of height's be able to do the Stair Way To Heaven???

Thanks again guy's for all your help.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

FAST, asked any questions to those guys you had been working with? Or have you hit up any others yet? Also what did you get as the AFQT and GT scores since I believe you said you did take the ASVAB already.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

You are talking about the MPPM if they showed you a 'book'. I still don't agree with that statement though. It's amazing what can be 'shown' with a spin. But again I could be wrong. You can change your MOS after 24 months as your original MOS. Keep in mind though you need to be over quota for people in your current job and they need to be lacking in the one you want to go into. However, if you enter training as an open contract the sky is the limit for jobs you can get (assuming you qualify for them).
Old 04-29-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
Question 2/ How did any of you that have a slight fear of height's be able to do the Stair Way To Heaven???

The di's make it pretty hard to concentrate on the fear of height's. Instead you'll have the fear of the pit for screwing up. Just pay attention to how they do the demonstrations and everything else is easy.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
You are talking about the MPPM if they showed you a 'book'. I still don't agree with that statement though. It's amazing what can be 'shown' with a spin. But again I could be wrong. You can change your MOS after 24 months as your original MOS. Keep in mind though you need to be over quota for people in your current job and they need to be lacking in the one you want to go into. However, if you enter training as an open contract the sky is the limit for jobs you can get (assuming you qualify for them).

Yhea I am not going to go in open contract. I was asking if they can change your MOS on there own without asking me.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Adam98Z
The di's make it pretty hard to concentrate on the fear of height's. Instead you'll have the fear of the pit for screwing up. Just pay attention to how they do the demonstrations and everything else is easy.
I thought that would be a factor LOL.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
Also a quick update for you guy's. I can't join active and only reserve because of my 3 dependent's. They showed me some book that has the rule in there. Also I have 2 more questions.

Question 1/ Can they change your MOS when you are already out of Boot or down the line???

Someone correct me if Im wrong but I thought if you went reserves you can pick any job you want... just so long as the desired MOS is at the reserve center that you are going to?

(not too familiar w/ reserve stuff)
Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by h8s2w8
Someone correct me if Im wrong but I thought if you went reserves you can pick any job you want... just so long as the desired MOS is at the reserve center that you are going to?

(not too familiar w/ reserve stuff)
Absolutely correct, and no they cannot change that once you have chosen either the job (reserve) or occ field (active).
Old 04-30-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mySStery_machine
Absolutely correct, and no they cannot change that once you have chosen either the job (reserve) or occ field (active).

Ok thank You.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just Got Reactivated From Irr! Have To Report October 9th. Damn Thought I Made It.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Just Got Reactivated From Irr! Have To Report October 9th. Damn Thought I Made It.
Youre going to make me nervous with all this re-activation talk. 148 more working days left for this guy!!! <<<-----ME
Old 05-01-2007, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

MOS??
Old 05-01-2007, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by aggiez28
MOS??
6114 H-1 Mechanic Flightline
Old 05-13-2007, 04:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rahmnja
Yeah, Dont know what happened to him, I know Lucero was with 3/2 last year and Bonner that guy scared the **** out of me.
Was Sgt. Bonner a big black guy? Who liked to **** up recruits to no end? If so, i think he was my Senior Drill Instructor on PI...
Old 09-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am married with 2 kids and I am 27. Yes you can go active duty with a family. You dont have to be a reservist. I joined at 24 and it has been pretty sh**ty. You get treated just like any other 18 year old new kid until you pick up Cpl, which is 2 to 3 years down the road. I just did 2 years UNNACCOMPANIED in Okinawa because IPAC made a mistake on my orders (unnaccompanied Marines are only supposed to go overseas for 1 year) and basically the Corps has screwed me over at every turn. They take what they want from you and dont give anything back. They use you up and throw you away. I know some people are gonna get pissed at me for saying this but oh well. If it was just me I wouldnt be telling you this but most of the Marines that I have served with have similar horror stories of getting the "Green Weenie" or as I like to call it the "Digi *****". If you are going to join with a family join the Air Force. Housings better, Chows better and Deployments are better.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilDog99TA
I am married with 2 kids and I am 27. Yes you can go active duty with a family. You dont have to be a reservist. I joined at 24 and it has been pretty sh**ty. You get treated just like any other 18 year old new kid until you pick up Cpl, which is 2 to 3 years down the road. I just did 2 years UNNACCOMPANIED in Okinawa because IPAC made a mistake on my orders (unnaccompanied Marines are only supposed to go overseas for 1 year) and basically the Corps has screwed me over at every turn. They take what they want from you and dont give anything back. They use you up and throw you away. I know some people are gonna get pissed at me for saying this but oh well. If it was just me I wouldnt be telling you this but most of the Marines that I have served with have similar horror stories of getting the "Green Weenie" or as I like to call it the "Digi *****". If you are going to join with a family join the Air Force. Housings better, Chows better and Deployments are better.
Unacompanied tours used to be limited to twelve months but are now up to twenty four months. I have a few thousand Marines under my Cog. and many of them have horror stories too but it's usually an ex wife or girlfriend. I hope your EAS comes soon and uneventfully so that you can try something more suited to you, maybe the Airforce.

Topfig

Last edited by topfig1; 09-29-2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DevilDog99TA

So would you say that the Reserves was the better way to go???
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reserves would be fine if you're looking for part time work. You will probably spend your share of time in Iraq too.

Topfig
Old 09-29-2007, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

If you think you won't get screwed over in the civilian world then you are sadly mistaken. Same **** different toilet out there. Yes different circumstances and there are good and bad everywhere you go but 20 year retirement is looking damn good. I also just got re-activated and have to report in a few weeks to Pendleton. I have been out for just about two years and did five before i got out. I am going to Pendleton unaccompanied and the kick in the taint is i live in Jacksonville, NC i work as a civilian in MCAS Cherry Point. But ohwell i signed the contract so i guess i will do as the ask.

Hey Topfig I'll be there in a few weeks. Look forward to meeting you around town. I have a '02 T/A vert red with a vfn 4" ram air hood in black. pretty unmistakable.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 11 months from EAS and I am wishy washy. I really want to go to 2112 school but I also want to go home and be a husband and father. Reserves I am strongly considering, and no not the Air Force. I love the Corps but I have the way they use you up and spit you out. The Corps philosophy is that they can always get a PFC to do your job, no matter how much the upper ech stresses the NCO or SNCO Corps. I have buddies that have families and have done 5 tours already. Thats the main reason I didn't go EOD. I enjoy watching my kids grow up. I am thinking about reserves but I know the reserves get activated as much, and sometimes more than active. The Corps is a very mixed bag for me but the bottom line is this: I love being a Marine, I love our traditions, but the mission #1 troops #2 thing really weighs on me. Morale is a dangerous thing. While every Marine I have ever met knows they can destroy the enemy, not 1 of them anticipates the toll it takes on your relationships with your family.

Quick Reply: Marines Please Come In