Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Marines Please Come In

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intel, Military Police (dog handler's have the best job out of the MP's in my opinion) There is a huge number of MOS's to choose from man. Take your time and look through them all, find the one you like, and pursue it.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

EW don't be an MP. Everyone hates those guys. 90% of them are douchebags. Ive only met a handful that were cool. Intel is a cool job, plus there is a pretty big enlistment bonus too.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by edwardswb
Intel, Military Police (dog handler's have the best job out of the MP's in my opinion) There is a huge number of MOS's to choose from man. Take your time and look through them all, find the one you like, and pursue it.

Thanks bro and I thankful for the help. Also doesn't my ASVAB score determand what job's I able to choose from???
Old 04-19-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, it all comes down to your ASVAB score. If you did well, you can qualify for any program and MOS's available, if you did poorly, you might end up as an inflight missle repairman or the solar program (what evers leftover under the sun). Good luck.

Fig
Old 04-19-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
Thanks bro and I thankful for the help. Also doesn't my ASVAB score determand what job's I able to choose from???

Generally.. .What it really boils down to is your GT score. Each MOS has a specific GT score that will qualify you or disqualfy you for that job.. Many Air wing MOS's will get you a clearance.

and by ground i mean like Motor T, Comm, Etc... because while there are specific Motor T companies and such, when you go to an infantry battallion to support those guys, you do a lot of the **** they do. weeks on end in the field. the 25 mile mcree. etc.. as motor T, we hiked like it was crazy. the only time we drove, was when the 5 or 7tons were going. otherwise it was the light duty grunts driving.

and comm Marines are basically battery operated grunts. they get attached to the line companies..

if you like working on cars, be a Motor T mech. If i remember correctly it's 3529. maybe you can get into the 3rd echelon maintnence doing internal engine repair.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgt0704
Generally.. .What it really boils down to is your GT score. Each MOS has a specific GT score that will qualify you or disqualfy you for that job.. Many Air wing MOS's will get you a clearance.

and by ground i mean like Motor T, Comm, Etc... because while there are specific Motor T companies and such, when you go to an infantry battallion to support those guys, you do a lot of the **** they do. weeks on end in the field. the 25 mile mcree. etc.. as motor T, we hiked like it was crazy. the only time we drove, was when the 5 or 7tons were going. otherwise it was the light duty grunts driving.

and comm Marines are basically battery operated grunts. they get attached to the line companies..

if you like working on cars, be a Motor T mech. If i remember correctly it's 3529. maybe you can get into the 3rd echelon maintnence doing internal engine repair.
Well I will have to see what I am able to do. Thanks for the info and most likely I would like to try and get into something that work's toward's me being a cop. But I know just being a Marine will help a lot.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

If your GT score is good but your other scores i.e. MM, EL etc... are not high enough for a specific MOS, make sure that you ask for a criteria waiver. They don't talk about it but it is easily done.

Fig
Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by topfig1
If your GT score is good but your other scores i.e. MM, EL etc... are not high enough for a specific MOS, make sure that you ask for a criteria waiver. They don't talk about it but it is easily done.

Fig

What does the criteria waiver do and why don't they talk about it???
Old 04-19-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Regular

A criteria waiver is a request from the recruiting command to Headquarters Recruiting command for them to accept lets say a 103 MM (mechanical maintenance) score vice the required 110 MM to be a helicopter mechanic. Although your GT might be high enough, you individual scores still need to meet the requirements. They are not talked about much because it's extra work. I submitted quite a few when I recruited in NYC.

Fig
Old 04-20-2007, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

I used to be a 6462 Avionics Electronics Tech. for F/A-18 Hornets. Then I switched MOS's to 6154 Airframes/Hydraulics on the AH-1W Cobra and UH-1N Huey Helicopters. I am currently a 6012 (Maint. Control Chief) for an HMLA (Huey/Cobra) Squadron. In the next few months, I will be the 4th Marine Air Wing / Rotory Wing Class Desk (In Charge of all 4th Marine Air Wing Helicopters[ tell squadrons when to transfer aircraft, etc.])

Of all those jobs, plus a few more that I've held, Being an "Airframer" for the H-1 Helicopters has been THE BEST! Every time I've thought about leaving the Marine Corps, we start up 5 or 6 Aircraft, and launch them out for a shoot or deployment. Watching those Aircraft fly keeps me motivated to stay in. I love these Helicopters.

So, you would be surprised what all you could be doing. Choose your MOS wisely. Again, don't be an MP just because you want to be a Cop when your Marine Corps career is done. Choose a job you are pretty sure you would enjoy, and you could do 20 plus years, because you enjoy it, like me and Top Fig.

Good Luck.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:49 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlueThunder2
I used to be a 6462 Avionics Electronics Tech. for F/A-18 Hornets. Then I switched MOS's to 6154 Airframes/Hydraulics on the AH-1W Cobra and UH-1N Huey Helicopters. I am currently a 6012 (Maint. Control Chief) for an HMLA (Huey/Cobra) Squadron. In the next few months, I will be the 4th Marine Air Wing / Rotory Wing Class Desk (In Charge of all 4th Marine Air Wing Helicopters[ tell squadrons when to transfer aircraft, etc.])

Of all those jobs, plus a few more that I've held, Being an "Airframer" for the H-1 Helicopters has been THE BEST! Every time I've thought about leaving the Marine Corps, we start up 5 or 6 Aircraft, and launch them out for a shoot or deployment. Watching those Aircraft fly keeps me motivated to stay in. I love these Helicopters.

So, you would be surprised what all you could be doing. Choose your MOS wisely. Again, don't be an MP just because you want to be a Cop when your Marine Corps career is done. Choose a job you are pretty sure you would enjoy, and you could do 20 plus years, because you enjoy it, like me and Top Fig.

Good Luck.
Did you park your car across from the Crash crew? I think I used to see it there near the MP gate.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

Did you park your car across from the Crash crew? I think I used to see it there near the MP gate.
Yep, pretty much. If your talking about the one on Fats and Skinnies all the time, that's me.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

A criteria waiver is a request from the recruiting command to Headquarters Recruiting command for them to accept lets say a 103 MM (mechanical maintenance) score vice the required 110 MM to be a helicopter mechanic. Although your GT might be high enough, you individual scores still need to meet the requirements. They are not talked about much because it's extra work. I submitted quite a few when I recruited in NYC.

Fig

Ok, thanks and I will check with my recruiter too see what my line score's are to check what my option's are. Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good Luck.
Thanks for the reply BlueThunder. You guy's are opening my eye's to a bunch of different MOS that sound like great job's. I guess I have to find something I would love to do and will not interfer with family life to much.Thanks Again
Old 04-21-2007, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Yep, pretty much. If your talking about the one on Fats and Skinnies all the time, that's me.
Nice car. I figured it was quick when I saw the fats and skinnies on it. Always wondered what it ran. I was there with the crash crew, mwss 372 most of the time, spent some time on station. Mine was the black Z28 with silver SS 10 spokes/silver and orange z28 badges/stainless CME
Old 04-22-2007, 06:14 PM
10 Second Club

Nice car. I figured it was quick when I saw the fats and skinnies on it. Always wondered what it ran. I was there with the crash crew, mwss 372 most of the time, spent some time on station. Mine was the black Z28 with silver SS 10 spokes/silver and orange z28 badges/stainless CME
Thanks. Yeah, it's a mid to low 10 sec. car now.

Thanks, I think I saw your car. Looked good.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Choose what you CAN'T do out in the civilian sector. Everything you learn in the military can always come across, like leadership and management. Go for something unique and then you will always have a lifetime of stories to your 'boring' civilian workers. Unless of course you want something in the wing and then there is always a chance you will do basically the same job both places.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by sgt0704

Motor T mechs are 3521's for 2nd echelon (most of your troubleshooting, general repairs)

He is right about doing most of the stuff with grunts, IF you are with an infantry battalion, otherwise you'll just be doing pogue **** unless you can get attached to one. There was a huge difference between 3/5 and 11th Marines from my point of view, being with both units. Don't try to fool anyone though, still not an 03xx.

So many jobs available, just research the decision pretty thoroughly before you join, since most of your time will be spent doing that job. Don't worry about bootcamp and all that it is only 3 months and it will be over with before you know it.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Parachute riggers that work for me are 6048's. Sgt Martinez is a good man and he is right, I took the loss of my Red car pretty hard. My EX WIFE totaled it. notice the EX.

Fig
As far as parachute riggers in the marine corp. Do they get sent to many schools, since they are mostly likely attached to a Reconnaissance unit? I know my buddy in the army, which is a rigger for 5th SF has been to just about every school that the operators have been to.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by craparo
Motor T mechs are 3521's for 2nd echelon (most of your troubleshooting, general repairs)

He is right about doing most of the stuff with grunts, IF you are with an infantry battalion, otherwise you'll just be doing pogue **** unless you can get attached to one. There was a huge difference between 3/5 and 11th Marines from my point of view, being with both units. Don't try to fool anyone though, still not an 03xx.

So many jobs available, just research the decision pretty thoroughly before you join, since most of your time will be spent doing that job. Don't worry about bootcamp and all that it is only 3 months and it will be over with before you know it.

Thanks bro and yhea the leaving part is one of the biggest thing. But I have heard they keep you so busy you really don't have time to worry LOL.

Quick Reply: Marines Please Come In