Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF folks and PT

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I'm a Dirt Boy (CE HEavy Equipment and pavement maintenance)

I am at the airfield shop. We do PT Three times a week as alloted. Mon, Wends, Fri at 1300-1400. We work from 0500-1400 normally. No **** PT.. Run, PU's SU's and some kind of cardio. B-ball, Racquetball, I'm now going to the weight room for upper body.

AT the main shop they do this **** Squadron PT from 0630-0730. THey work 0700-1630 normally.

I do the minimum. I can't afford to run more than I need to. I'm skinny as it is. 6'3" @ 180lbs. It'd be almost dangerous for my health for me to run more.

Sometimes I really disagree w/ the PT regiment. If someone can prove that they don't need to do the 3hrs a week minimum, then they should be allowed 1-2 hrs a week or so. I cannot gain wieght to save my life. I have a wicked fast metabolism, and I can't eat 6 times a day. Everything I DO eat gets digested w/in 2 hrs. Then I'm hungry again, no matter how big the prior meal was.
i feel ur pain. im 6'2, 175lbs, almost 23 years old, an its so hard for me to gain weight. if i drink alot of beer, eat alot of mcdonald's, then yea, ill put on. but for the most part, im just pretty lean and stay that way. however, i still find it necessary to go to the gym to at least tone up an keep the metabolism up so it doesnt hurt so bad when i get older.

when i was deployed, i worked out about 5 days a week, ate alot at every meal (to where i felt huge), and included protien shakes, and by the time i came back, i actually gained 5lbs. my muscles were a bit more defined, but it took all that work to get only 5lbs?? i just got back an im dealin with a sickness, so it'll be a few before i get back into the gym.

but our PT is pretty retarded. *if* we can get time to go to PT, its just show up, sign in, and run a minimum of 6 laps at ur own pace... thats it... our chief mandates we do that an thinks it'll work? wutever tho..
Old 05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

^ yeah.. I'm 26 andd still have a wicked matabolism.. I think it may be SLIGHTLY slowing down. I wne to the gym three times last week to work on upper body, and it may be strange, but I saw a slight gain! I know it'd be hard to see a gain after only three visits... I noticed something, my bi's got a slight bit more defenition to them. There may be hope of being able to bulk up a bit!

I was running 10 miles a week when I was in afghanistan, I just got into it and I mannaged to run my best 1.5 mile time of 10.14!!! AND I'M A SMOKER! THat KBR Chow there was good. I'm not a picky eater, but it liked it. I tried to eat healthy all the time.. I very seldom eat junk food (McD's, BK Arby's)... THey had a badass Korean resteraunt in Bagram, tho.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:38 PM
NKAWTG...N

0545-0645 Tues/Thurs for me. Last year of ROTC.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Egress troop here, we have several different times as malicious stated, but no one was going, just too busy. So now it's mandatory, and they're going to extend our duty day an hour for 8hr shift to 9hr shift. I've seen many many pt programs come and go here for us. They usually end up us not being able to go because were too busy. But whatever I don't mind going to the gym and I'll take a 9hr shift over 12's anyday. 2 1/2 more months! Civilian select
Old 05-22-2007, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

I'm SF and we're working "12's" ( 14.5's) and we have to do it in our offtime... I'm on the FIP and on the way out anyway (thank God).
Old 05-22-2007, 10:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frisky2101
So last yr or so they make it an AFI that all AF personnel will be allowed time three time a week during your normal duty hrs for the gym. Well since this has came up our section has tried many things to get this to actually happen, and not one of them have worked.

Our flight cheifs have tried everything from normal 8 hr shifts and gym time during that 8hrs, going to a 9 hr scheduled day and you work for eight hrs they go to gym for the 9th hour, now we are on permenant 12 hour shifts 4 days a week three shifts 6-6 nights and days mon thru thurs. and 6-6 days friday thru monday you are supposed to get gym time during your normal work hrs so they give us an hour and a half to eat go to the gym shower and come back to work...hahaha basically no one gets to the gym unless they do it on their own time.

So the best part about this is I go up to my flight cheif and say WTF, so are we ever gonna get gym time you know like the AFI says we HAVE to... And he gives me this, "well that AFI is for people with office jobsm if doesn't apply to us." HAHAHA so my responce in then why are out PT scores apart of our EPR and we got guys that get marked down because they can't make it to the gym. His responce was well cause it is an AFI it has to be apart of the EPR . so basically we are gonna pick and choose the AFIs that we follow.....

and that's how I got to work extra duty hahaha...

Just curious :

AF folks what is your job? do you get PT three times a week during normal 8hr work day?

sorry for the long post just had to rant a bit

Ever heard of an IG complaint? Report the ****.

The rules aren't just there to screw us. They apply to all. Look at 21-101. There is some good reading there. I have called BS a few times.

Now on the other side of this is....putting forth some effort on your own.....outside of work. I am in the reserves so I have to do all workouts on my own time. Have gotten a 96%, 100%, and 100% so far.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:53 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys aren't skinny. I'm skinny! When I came in in 89 I was 6'2, 26" waist and 124lbs! I worked in the dinning hall my 1s 10 yrs and they all said don't worry you'll put some size on. I kept food in my mouth all day everyday even while serving customers and still no dice. Hit the gym and bulked up to a whopping 1454lbs and go on leave for 2wks and lose 20 in the 1st wk. Now it's 2007 I'm 37 and I weigh 147lbs, 27" waist and honestly couldn't tell you where it is as I'm still a rail. During race season I get down to 140-145 and that takes all of 2 days to do. LOL! Going on 18yrs AF gaining less than a pound a yr and that's eating anything and everything I want whenever. Gotta love that!

Oh and my last pt score this past Mar was a 92.88. 10.40 for the 1.5 mile, max pushups, situps I was 2 shy of max just because I felt like it and the waist was max. My best 1.5 was 2 yrs ago w/ a 10 flat but this past yr I didn't run but only once a wk due to bad knee (old HS injury).

Last edited by SRZ; 05-29-2007 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I work 10 hours a day and do PT 5 times a week. There's always time for PT in POL!!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
I work 10 hours a day and do PT 5 times a week. There's always time for PT in POL!!
But only when you're not tugging on your hoses and passing gas.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Grave
But only when you're not tugging on your hoses and passing gas.

LOL!!! Since being stationed at moody, I work out more due to my unit needing troops in shape to deploy at a moments call. Only problem is that we PT so much that half of my squadron cant even deploy. PT everyday then kicking down doors for training takes a toll.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:34 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CE here(LRAFB) and we do PT 3 x week on Tues/Thurs/Fri and then the occasional command run on every first friday of the month. We do it in the mornings 0630-0730ish. We do calustenics (sp?) and then straight to 4 miles of running.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SRZ
Hit the gym and bulked up to a whopping 1454lbs....... .
Dam, your huge

The program has never worked in the AF. It didn't when I joined in '84 and the old timers back then said the same things you guys are. I've worked about every imaginable shift and unless your a back office wienie your stuck doing PT on your own. The only times that a PT program worked out was when I was in a training status. As far as you skinny bastards, I remember when I weighed 160lbs. It was Jr. High I think. My brother on the other hand had to gain weight to join. He's 46 and still skinny. Just works out that way I guess. I have never regretted joining, but glad that I'm retired.

BTW; anyone at Dover and due a new commander. My cousins hubby is going there next month.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:37 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL! I just saw that typo. Hell I had to have a waiver to join as I was 1lb shy of the minimum 125. They gave me a delayed enlistment 4 mos to be exact and I stayed w/ my Grandmother the whole time (good heavy food) and it didn't work! I lost and came in @ 124.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Gotta love shift work. I'm working 12 hours a day 4 on, 3 off. Guess when I get to do PT??? Yep on my 3 days off. Our backoffice has seemed to forget what its like to be on console and only get one day off because you have to do all these other BS things. I feel for everyone who gets dicked over like I have been since they made the changes.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:24 PM
Teching In

I work Vehicle Maintenance and am currently stationed at Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea. We work 7-5 is our normal duty hours. Three times a week though we PT from 0630 till about 0730ish. They dont make us be back until 0830. Which gives us a little less than an hour to eat chow and shower and return to work. Before here I was at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. We were working a lot of 12's and no PT time. We complained and nothing. So we took it to the shirt, then commander and finally one day we had a meeting. Just the Airman no NCO's with our wing commander. Pretty much everyone complained about no PT time. The start of the next week was the start of our PT time.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frisky2101
So last yr or so they make it an AFI that all AF personnel will be allowed time three time a week during your normal duty hrs for the gym. Well since this has came up our section has tried many things to get this to actually happen, and not one of them have worked.

Our flight cheifs have tried everything from normal 8 hr shifts and gym time during that 8hrs, going to a 9 hr scheduled day and you work for eight hrs they go to gym for the 9th hour, now we are on permenant 12 hour shifts 4 days a week three shifts 6-6 nights and days mon thru thurs. and 6-6 days friday thru monday you are supposed to get gym time during your normal work hrs so they give us an hour and a half to eat go to the gym shower and come back to work...hahaha basically no one gets to the gym unless they do it on their own time.

So the best part about this is I go up to my flight cheif and say WTF, so are we ever gonna get gym time you know like the AFI says we HAVE to... And he gives me this, "well that AFI is for people with office jobsm if doesn't apply to us." HAHAHA so my responce in then why are out PT scores apart of our EPR and we got guys that get marked down because they can't make it to the gym. His responce was well cause it is an AFI it has to be apart of the EPR . so basically we are gonna pick and choose the AFIs that we follow.....

and that's how I got to work extra duty hahaha...

Just curious :

AF folks what is your job? do you get PT three times a week during normal 8hr work day?

sorry for the long post just had to rant a bit

Where do you work at on Dyess? I was stationed there from 02-05

Quick Reply: AF folks and PT