Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

AF folks and PT

Old 05-16-2007, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AF folks and PT

So last yr or so they make it an AFI that all AF personnel will be allowed time three time a week during your normal duty hrs for the gym. Well since this has came up our section has tried many things to get this to actually happen, and not one of them have worked.

Our flight cheifs have tried everything from normal 8 hr shifts and gym time during that 8hrs, going to a 9 hr scheduled day and you work for eight hrs they go to gym for the 9th hour, now we are on permenant 12 hour shifts 4 days a week three shifts 6-6 nights and days mon thru thurs. and 6-6 days friday thru monday you are supposed to get gym time during your normal work hrs so they give us an hour and a half to eat go to the gym shower and come back to work...hahaha basically no one gets to the gym unless they do it on their own time.

So the best part about this is I go up to my flight cheif and say WTF, so are we ever gonna get gym time you know like the AFI says we HAVE to... And he gives me this, "well that AFI is for people with office jobsm if doesn't apply to us." HAHAHA so my responce in then why are out PT scores apart of our EPR and we got guys that get marked down because they can't make it to the gym. His responce was well cause it is an AFI it has to be apart of the EPR . so basically we are gonna pick and choose the AFIs that we follow.....

and that's how I got to work extra duty hahaha...

Just curious :

AF folks what is your job? do you get PT three times a week during normal 8hr work day?

sorry for the long post just had to rant a bit
Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a maintainer, and we have 3 PT times per day, 4 days per week and sometimes we just have too much work and I refuse to go if we're that busy... The process is there I just can't bring myself to go that many times when we're short handed as is...
Old 05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

true that, as a maintainer on the B-1 (crew cheif) we are hurting for people really bad right now. Now me personally, I have never had a problem passing the PT test, but for some people, bigger guys ( not fat just big bulky and tall) have a hell of a time passing and I don't agree that it should be part of their EPR if they are not getting time to actually go to the gym unless they do it on their own time. I don't know about everyone else but the last thing I want to do after working for 12+hrs is go to the gym.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:17 AM
Launching!

Crew Chief here as well, But work Crash/Recovery. We have PT, but Days goes monday, Wedsday(sp?), Swings goes tues and thurs. Mids i have no clue on. The third day is suppose to be on friday on our own time, not the shops according to the bosses. HAHAHA. I just failed my Pt test last month cuz we were working 12 hours shifts for the last 3 months, only having 8ppl between both shifts. So, no one had time for gym unless you did on your own time. So, now i have to go 5 days a week, and still hard to do when you are having phase1/2's and ppl tdy and deployed. I have my follow up next week, and i'm sure i'll do better, but i have till July to get above 75.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

Security Forces here. We work 12+'s. 3 and 2's. Due to our job and not being able to leave our post for security reasons, we do PT after we turn in our weapons at the end of our shift. It doesn't meen we are off duty, we have PT directly afterwards. On a PT day our hours are usually 14-14.5 hours. Our normal days are usually 13.5 hours. This is for shift workers only, the backoffice personnel start work 1.5 hours later than normal on PT days.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

8 hr workdays exist still after post 911? Work 10-11 hrs here 5 days a wk. PT is scheduled in for the Airman (Services). Mon/Wed/Fri PT is offered 3 different times for them depending on their shift. For Sat/Sun it's offered at 2 different times. 0800 or 1330 and 1930 for evening workers. They all make it including NCO's and SNCO's. 95% passing rate w/ 20% in the excellent catergory. 2 mandatory 1 self directed for excellent/good cat and mandatory 3 for poor.

I hope when I return stateside I get a 8hr shift. LOL!

Last edited by SRZ; 05-17-2007 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 AM
11 Second Club

command post here....12 hour shifts 7am - 7pm or 7pm to 7am shifts. Pt is only 1 time a week manditory unless you are having trouble etc then its 3 times a week which isnt easy cause your probely just getting off a 12 hour shift
Old 05-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by frisky2101
AF folks what is your job? do you get PT three times a week during normal 8hr work day?

I'm in AMMO, and my flight tells us we need to PT on our own time. I mean, I guess you could go during your lunch break, but then that's all you'll get to do o your lunch.

We just learned to suck it up and PT after duty hours.

Oh, and the PT score will soon be a part of your EPR. There's a special little block for it on the new draft.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Launching!

I'm a Crew Chief on the F-117A Stealth, but currently working Crash Recovery. We cover all the flying window for any jet on base except the German Tornado. This is the first week that we went back to 9hr shifts. Like today, Swings has PT, we start at 1430 and end at 1515. I thought it was suppose to be 1.5hrs long for pt, but oh well. We have a sports day tomorrow, God, i hope it's rained out. But, next week i'm starting a log on all my Excersicing. Yeah, i still have to fill out the AF175.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

when i said normal 8 hr day i mean for office jobs.... we used to be scheduled for 9 hrs but you were usually there for 10-12, now we work straight 12s and our day is usually about 12.5-14 if it is a good day.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Thats what we were on, but we just shifted back to a normal 9hr day. We are scheduled for 12's but, since we got all our ppl back, we adjusted the shifts accordingly.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:48 PM
12 Second Club

yeah the funny thing is no one is gone yet for us we got a deployment coming up so for those of us not going this could be really interesting, oh wait I'll be cross training by that time lucky me...
Old 05-18-2007, 05:09 AM
Teching In

I am a maintainer of AGE for the C-130's, which is by no means an office job....and I work at the shittiest base in the eastern sea board....in a shitty condemned shop, with shitty "needs to be turned into DRMO" equipment.....and we are severely short manned and behind schedule on our work by about 3 weeks....but we still have PT from 0700 to 0800 and then have 30 minutes to shower and be in place ready to work, on non PT days we typically start work at 0700 so yes we PT during the normal work time.

You might want to re-read the reg to verify exactly what it says, if it says "on duty time alloted" then go with that....sounds like your flight chief is blowing smoke up your *** to get you away from him.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Shut up and push zoomies....

Until the Air Force gets as fanatical as the Army most people will push it off as much as possible.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what's your run? 1.5-2miles? you could just run at the start of your lunch break. and then crack out some push ups. it shouldn't take more than 45 min for all that and a shower. then you still have time to eat chow.

when i was at Keesler, for Forecasting school, we got an hour and a half. and i managed to make it work. besides, most chow halls offer some kind of "bagged nasties" so you can still get food to go.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

8 hr day? whats that?...

Try being a flier...with an additional office job...we have mandatory PT on Mondays...supposedly Weds. is personal day...then Fri is shops/flights have group PT. However the flying schedule always takes precedence so hardly anybody shows up for the "mandatory" sessions because we are all either getting ready to fly...or got back late the day before...and yet somewhere you are supposed to take care of all the administrivia garbage of your additional duty and flying is no excuse for not getting things done.

Think its bogus that PT score will be on EPRs...you can be the best at what you do and accomplish great feats getting the mission done...but if you dont have a high enough PT score it hurts your career advancement? Retarded.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm AMMO also, I have PT time scheduled Monday - Thursday at 1430 for the guys in my shop. Ahh, the life at a training base!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrumss
Until the Air Force gets as fanatical as the Army most people will push it off as much as possible.
I also believe this is the bottom line - people don't wanna do it.

I'm also a maintainer, and know what life's like on the flightline. Currently I am an instructor, so things are easier for scheduling. Our Det Chief makes PT mandatory on Mon-Wed-Fri's @ 1500. Be there or have a damn good excuse not to be. Our old Det Chief pencil whipped the scores so everybody looked great.

Mondays we run 4-6 miles.

Wednesdays we usually do circuit training, or what I call "circuit beatings". 30-40 minutes of nonstop sprinting across a field, pushups immediately, for 1 minute, get up and sprint across the field again, 1 minute of situps, run across the field, 1 min. bodybuilders, run across the field, butterfly kicks, run across the field, etc.... sucks but worth it.

Fridays are team sports days. Usually basketball or ultimate football.

I hated PT at first, but now I feel like crap if I don't get it.

Once I get off this job and back on the line or shop, this will be something I will try to enforce as much as possible. Not everybody can float through the PT test without doing anything, and I'm one of them. It's taken me a long time to get where I'm at, and I'm not throwing it away.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm a Dirt Boy (CE HEavy Equipment and pavement maintenance)

I am at the airfield shop. We do PT Three times a week as alloted. Mon, Wends, Fri at 1300-1400. We work from 0500-1400 normally. No **** PT.. Run, PU's SU's and some kind of cardio. B-ball, Racquetball, I'm now going to the weight room for upper body.

AT the main shop they do this **** Squadron PT from 0630-0730. THey work 0700-1630 normally.

I do the minimum. I can't afford to run more than I need to. I'm skinny as it is. 6'3" @ 180lbs. It'd be almost dangerous for my health for me to run more.

Sometimes I really disagree w/ the PT regiment. If someone can prove that they don't need to do the 3hrs a week minimum, then they should be allowed 1-2 hrs a week or so. I cannot gain wieght to save my life. I have a wicked fast metabolism, and I can't eat 6 times a day. Everything I DO eat gets digested w/in 2 hrs. Then I'm hungry again, no matter how big the prior meal was.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Im a crew chief on a 12hr a day 3-2-2-3 schedule and we get 0 time for PT, the local policy for us says 3 times a week IF MISSION PERMITS....in other words, no pt during duty hours

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AF folks and PT