Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Got to see a set of ABUs for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007 | 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

I have a new set of DCU boots for my next TDY. Its gonna be a short one and I guarantee that its gonna be jacked up in no time.
Speaking of DCU boots my buddies were telling me that they had to have 2 sets of boots. One for work the other for Coalition complex. What kind of **** is that? ******* office **** getting mad because the people that work on the aircraft are always trashed after working 12+ doing maintenence. They need to come out there and see how shitty it can be. This kind of **** just pisses me off.

They need to give the ABU's to a high ops tempo unit that deploy all over the place to different locations worldwide. Acft mx vehicle mx whoever it is that really gets dirty and can trash ****. Funny though its the Air Force and I havent seen any acft maintainers using the **** or I should say testing the **** out real world yet.

Another point was brought up about coveralls. I wish we had coveralls that have all the BS on it. **** the Navy guys wear coveralls and that is smart. Real smart! I would gladly spend my own money for coveralls that is a duty uniform instead of trashing bdu's and ****.

But as usual the little people that is in the **** is the ones that they could give 2 ***** about. Its all about them and the next stripe or the next bird/star whatever. The Gov always makes expensive mistakes and then it affects everyone else because we now have no money for stationary or IEU **** or parts or what we have all seen people.
Old 08-13-2007 | 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by EndlessSummer85
The ABU's look nice, but I don't think that they're gonna hold up for maintainers. They're just as bad as DCU's. Especially the boots which turn black in a relatively short time. (Not sure about the green ones though) I wish we could just have coveralls with our name/rank on them and have those as an authrized uniform. But I won't have to worry about that anyways I'm out in 10 days!
u lucky...i think the abu's and the new dress look like absolute ****! I'll be out in less than 3 years!
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'll get em to just not deal with having to even iron after they get washed. If they get trashed cause I'm a maintainer, so be it. Now I hope they delay integration of the new service dress. Read somewhere it could cost some people in upwards of $500 to get all the stuff updated :O May have been rumors but man... That's a big chunk of change.
Old 08-14-2007 | 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

$500 bucks f that! That's parts for my car :-)
Old 08-14-2007 | 01:56 PM
Launching!

I dunno... I guess I'm one of the few that actually like the new ABU look. I've seen them in person, and they didn't look bad to me.

I just don't know about wearing the new boots with the current BDU's. I know it's authorized, but man.... it looks funny.
Old 08-14-2007 | 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Really? AF guys just wear bags outside the wire? Hm didn't know that.

Naw... Just our unit as for right now from my knowledge. We were wearning flight suits today and those things are crazy hot. I think I lost 25lbs today running around hot *** Georgia..
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:19 PM
11 Second Club

I'm gonna get green boots for BDU's just to be different and **** off people
Old 08-14-2007 | 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Hey if you don't have to shine them, then I'm all for it. I think anyone who tells me I need to shine my boots when I'm on the flightline 99% of my day, is an idiot. There is no point in shining them. When I come back from some nook or cranny, installing a part, they are all f'ed up no matter what.
Old 08-22-2007 | 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
Funny though its the Air Force and I havent seen any acft maintainers using the **** or I should say testing the **** out real world yet. But as usual the little people that is in the **** is the ones that they could give 2 ***** about. Its all about them and the next stripe or the next bird/star whatever.
Everyone, out of all the people you've seen wear testing the new ABU, what was the lowest ranking person you saw wearing them? I've seen 1 BG, 2 Colonels, 1 LTCol, 3 Chiefs, and a MSgt. All people that spend more than 50% of thier time behind a desk and not one minute crawling around doing work.

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
Me too, I'll think i'll pick some up this weekend.
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Hey if you don't have to shine them, then I'm all for it. I think anyone who tells me I need to shine my boots when I'm on the flightline 99% of my day, is an idiot. There is no point in shining them. When I come back from some nook or cranny, installing a part, they are all f'ed up no matter what.
Old 08-23-2007 | 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know Im not AF but our ACUs are made out of the same material and well after the first few wash cycles they start to break in a lot. The bad thing is that the material fades very very badly after time. Ive had mine for about two years and you can really really tell the old ones from the new.
Old 08-23-2007 | 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
I have a new set of DCU boots for my next TDY. Its gonna be a short one and I guarantee that its gonna be jacked up in no time.
Speaking of DCU boots my buddies were telling me that they had to have 2 sets of boots. One for work the other for Coalition complex. What kind of **** is that? ******* office **** getting mad because the people that work on the aircraft are always trashed after working 12+ doing maintenence. They need to come out there and see how shitty it can be. This kind of **** just pisses me off.

They need to give the ABU's to a high ops tempo unit that deploy all over the place to different locations worldwide. Acft mx vehicle mx whoever it is that really gets dirty and can trash ****. Funny though its the Air Force and I havent seen any acft maintainers using the **** or I should say testing the **** out real world yet.

Another point was brought up about coveralls. I wish we had coveralls that have all the BS on it. **** the Navy guys wear coveralls and that is smart. Real smart! I would gladly spend my own money for coveralls that is a duty uniform instead of trashing bdu's and ****.

But as usual the little people that is in the **** is the ones that they could give 2 ***** about. Its all about them and the next stripe or the next bird/star whatever. The Gov always makes expensive mistakes and then it affects everyone else because we now have no money for stationary or IEU **** or parts or what we have all seen people.
You only said "****" 11 times in this post. As a maintainer, that's only scratching the surface in a normal conversation.
Old 08-24-2007 | 11:10 AM
On The Tree

I just googled ABU since I didn`t know what the hell they were. They look like the tiger stripe BDU from Vietnam era but it urban colors.

I`m Army, and I can relate to your feelings. No body liked our new ACU`s either, hell I still don`t really.

They serve thier purpose, as will your ABU, but I agree, the military needs to do a better job about researching this ****.
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Compstall
You only said "****" 11 times in this post. As a maintainer, that's only scratching the surface in a normal conversation.
It seems like a lot of mx people swear, not all. I'm over it. No reason to judge or look down on a guy. I find it annoying as hell in normal conversation when someone emphatically swears, but it's just a post....
Old 08-25-2007 | 06:37 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Compstall
lmao. I was thinking the same thing, except he's a friend of mine and thats pretty much dead on for a convo.

IMO, dcus should have replaced BDUs years ago. Seriously, how much money has been wasted on dcus by the AF?
Destroying a set of DCUs is a jet troop crawling into the tailpipe of a P5. I remember back in the day at psab we would have dirty stained pants, black *** stained boots, then go to the chow hall like that and have on a brand new shirt wrinkled to all hell, with people looking as us mad as **** lmao.

Mechanics dont need abus,dcus or bdus, they need COVERALLS, not the kind you change into,you know like the navy guys wear to and from work, its their damn uniform and its compfy.

Now that new stupid looking service dress, I dont want to even discuss that.

PT GEAR! I'm deployed right now, they want us to wear that **** or the dcus. Its bad enough that the shorts are retarded....BUT THEY HAVE NO ******* POCKETS. How can you be expected to wear something everyday and not have any damn pockets. They need a longer set of short with ******* pockets, end of story.
Old 08-30-2007 | 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

I just bought the green boots and wore them all week with my BDU's.
They are exactly the same as desert boots, just in a sage green color. I can definately see them getting dirty as hell in six months. especially if I spill some diesel on them.
Old 08-30-2007 | 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

They are POS's. A bunch of the newbies here in theater have them. They complain how hot they are too. Personally, they look the exact same as the Army's only they aren't pixelated. Waste of money and time IMO.
Old 08-30-2007 | 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
abu's were tested at Ramstien thats the only base i know of that they did testing at
Hurlburt Field did testing as well.

As for someone starching these, I am not 100% sure but I don't believe the BDU's had an AFI stating not to starch them, it was just on the tags and word of mouth sort of thing which is why they now have an AFI or the equivalent stating that starching, ironing, or dry cleaning the ABU is prohibited.

Also if you didn't know you can't use just any detergent on them. Cheer is one that has been approved(there are others just can't remember them all). The reason being is the others contain optical brightners which turn you into a glow stick in low light situations,not to mention through night vision. (think of the Black light reflective stuff and you get the idea)

Last edited by bhz28; 08-30-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2007 | 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JCurtin
lmao. I was thinking the same thing, except he's a friend of mine and thats pretty much dead on for a convo.

IMO, dcus should have replaced BDUs years ago. Seriously, how much money has been wasted on dcus by the AF?
Destroying a set of DCUs is a jet troop crawling into the tailpipe of a P5. I remember back in the day at psab we would have dirty stained pants, black *** stained boots, then go to the chow hall like that and have on a brand new shirt wrinkled to all hell, with people looking as us mad as **** lmao.

Mechanics dont need abus,dcus or bdus, they need COVERALLS, not the kind you change into,you know like the navy guys wear to and from work, its their damn uniform and its compfy.

Now that new stupid looking service dress, I dont want to even discuss that.

PT GEAR! I'm deployed right now, they want us to wear that **** or the dcus. Its bad enough that the shorts are retarded....BUT THEY HAVE NO ******* POCKETS. How can you be expected to wear something everyday and not have any damn pockets. They need a longer set of short with ******* pockets, end of story.
It's because of the dumbasses that sit behind the desk all day get bored and think we need a change, when we don't. I don't mind the current uniform, except the fact I'm expected to shine my boots, which is completely retarded for what I do. And yes the PT uniform is retarded as well. So is the new dress uniform. They all look f'in retarded. Thank God I've haven't had to wear the PT uniform since tech school. I hated that thing so bad..

Quick Reply: Got to see a set of ABUs for the first time