Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Active Duty AF Assigned ANG base???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Duty AF Assigned ANG base???

I dont understand... Im 4 year Active duty Air force... just got my assignment today and there sending me to Mcentire Ang base in South Carolina... where is absolutely Nowhere close to where i wanted to be...im really depressed about my situation.. I never had a regret till now... any ideas.. heard of anything like this, thoughts on the base

AFSC - 2A332

any help greatly appreciated
Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Launching!

That is weird. I looked in AMS and didn't see McCentire under the Enlisted Authorized under your AFSC.

Maybe you'll be a part of a Det based out of Shaw?
Old 08-13-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Yea assignment states Det 2 20 Maintence ops sq, mcentire ags,sc

whats does that mean?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Launching!

20MXG is based out of Shaw. So your orders are saying you'll be a part of the Det 2 of the 20MXG. Your unit is based out of Shaw, but where you're working is actually at the ANG base.

So technically, you'll be a part of Shaw AFB, but you'll be assigned over at McCentire.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

yea not happy with this assignment.. was praying for nellis or eglin... but i got the shaft..... how long do u have to be stationed to apply for a transfer?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Depends. Take a look at AFI 36-2110. For a first termer, I think it's 2yrs TOS, but I may be wrong.

Acutally, I'd kill to work at an ANG base. Just be optimistic and give it a shot. You may end up liking it. Myrtle Beach isn't too far from where you'll be stationed.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Grave
Depends. Take a look at AFI 36-2110. For a first termer, I think it's 2yrs TOS, but I may be wrong.

Acutally, I'd kill to work at an ANG base. Just be optimistic and give it a shot. You may end up liking it. Myrtle Beach isn't too far from where you'll be stationed.
Actually new rules are in place. We were briefed 4 years TOS for CONUS-CONUS moves. You can't apply for anything until 2years and the assignment chief at AFPC told me (through EDP on the portal) that they are not accepting anyone for SD's unless no one else puts in for it. Even then they would rather not do it. REmember they are cutting the PCS budget now b/c of force shaping.

Also, dude why are you pissed that you are going to SHAW??? you are 20miles closer to Columbia than I am and it isn't like you can't go anywhere. Hell Jacksonville, FL is 3 hours away. No offense, but you could have gotten stationed at Minot or Tinker out in BFE. I swear 90% of USAF ppl want to live by family or some ideal area or its a "shitty assignment." I'm not even from the south and I love that area! Plus if you are at McEntire, you are cushy as all hell. Nothing goes on there, meaning you can pursue other things...like your bachelors, work 8 hour shifts, etc. Plus the mentality is a WHOLE new ballgame.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Yea.. i can understand a lot of people prob bitch about there assignments.... i guess im more disappointed cause it was not expected....i was told likely Luke... Eglin.... Nellis.... soo to get the total opposite is just kinda of shock.. cause i know nothing about that area... except the bits of info from previous instructors who have come from shaw.. which never was that great

Just venting.. not trying to start a which base is better war....
Old 08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Teching In

i would kill for an active duty assignment at a guard base, talk about a cakewalk

Quick Reply: Active Duty AF Assigned ANG base???