Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking about Navy

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 more cents,
----
If you do go in, make sure you are confident, just like everyone says, there is NO REASON why you should go in below e3. tell them hey, if you want me make it happen. They will try to say we cant or it takes a lot. BS it takes them entering a couple of peoples names down next to your name, thats it. If you want to be a rate that takes forever to get in, dont let them talk you out of it. Cause at the beginning YOU control your future. Day you raise your right hand, they own you.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

I just passed my year mark in August, I work in aviation as an AS...support equipment technician. Some rates work a lot harder than others on ships, but don't pick your rate based on anything other than love of the job. It doesn't matter if you're a nuclear reactor tech or a deck seaman, sailors of the same rank and years of service make the same base pay. Signing bonuses arn't worth jack **** if you hate what you're doing.

If you want to work on fighter jets or helicopters, then pick AD.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and Anarchy are on the same Page. Working with Spec War was the best thing i have done in my almost 10 yrs ive been in the Navy.
Im a Square Barrel Gunners Mate Ie Mk 41 VLS System.
Signed for 4 yrs. Got an A school and a C school.
My 1st Duty station was the Destroyer Paul Hamilton in Pearl Harbor Hawaii.
Loved Hawaii. Others hated it....Like others have said its all what ya make of it.
Now Ever since getting the 9536 NEC for Spec War Armorer I have never loved my Job as Much. Spec War is a whole nother side of the Navy and i never want to go back to Blue Water Navy.
IM staying Spec War till im done...... Nothing like it and couldnt ask to work with a better bunch of guys.

Kyle
Old 10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

'preciate all of the input guys. i'm still thinking about it, not putting it off, just making sure that it's really for me. i have to get some ducks lined up before i can make a decision.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
'preciate all of the input guys. i'm still thinking about it, not putting it off, just making sure that it's really for me. i have to get some ducks lined up before i can make a decision.
thats good man. take ur time and make the right decision.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by texasglock23
HAHAHA, I have a few HT buddies. Don't go engineer at all then. All engineer rates have more cons than pros. But don't just take rate. I enlisted in as EOD with $30k bonus after being told the wait on MA or GM was really long. I ended up getting married and was having a hard time with the swimming quals(not a great swimmer) so I changed like an idiot, lost my bonus and ended up open general for engineer with a "guarantee" of DC, but like a fool with no help that was not in writing. I went halfway through basic thinking I was a DC, then one day that all changed. THEY chose EN for me. I was pissed, but what could I do? I decided to make the best out of it. Now I am trying my luck at a "C" once I get back from deployment.

Just do ALOT of research on what you are interested in PLEASE. Contact some of us guys if you need to. Tell me the rate you are interested and I will help with info...just pm me if you have a question, comment or concern.

I would not totally bash on engineering... I love my job, And personally I think there are more pro's than con's. Thats as far as my rate (MR), and maybe HT's for that matter. We get just about what ever we want, But in return we bust our asses for it. But really, if you were a hard worker before you came in, then engineering should be a cake walk... I think it is. I look at some of these other rates and see what they have to put up with as far as watches, and duty's, or even were they can and can't deploy too. I would hate to be restricted like that. No matter were the navy is there will allways be an engineer there to fix the **** dumb people break!!!! Or people to do the Paper work that the Lazy *** O's don't want to do...

Lane
Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Uhhhhh, LANE, I am engineering. I am EN to be exact. It also depends on what shop and division you go to on the ship as well. I was lucky and got hydraulics and boat shop. I would hate to be in reactor and a few others. The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head that is worse is a deckhand(BM) they get alot of crap work! With A gang it isn't so bad being an engineer.

We all have our OPINIONS
Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah I know. But I am just saying my opinion. I knew you were an engineer, remember I emailed you. lol. I was in A gang on my first ship, my second ship I was in R-div. and then I went to shore duty in Little Creek, at ACU-4, Witch was mostly engineers, GSM's GSE's EN's, HT's and then just one MR. Me!! lol. I look back, and we always had it easy. Now I am just talking about what experince I have had, your might be different.

Lane
Old 10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, I forgot about all that...MR's are very few and far between now
Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by texasglock23
Sorry, I forgot about all that...MR's are very few and far between now
Lol. No problem man. Yeah there are only 826 of us left in the navy. We are going to be obsolete..
Old 10-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Teching In

great. now i read all this **** after a petty officer aT MEPS talked about how great being on a sub was.....****....
Old 10-26-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None of the aviation guys mentioned the line shack.......
IMO it was all *** backwards.
I went to basic, I went to A school, I went to C school.
Then I went to the line shack, and I didn't do my job for 1 1/2 years. By the time I hit the AE shop I was like whats a wiring diagram?

It should be basic, ship for 6-9 months on a cruise and do bullshit work, then go to your schools and go to your shop when you hit your first command. This would make the most sense.....

I was highly angry about how there were undesignated people and how I went to school for 9 months but still ended up changing oil and putting fuel in jets, washing them was a lot of fun also.

I got out after 4 years, with $50k for school. I would never take that time back, I had a lot of good times when away from work, hell when things got better even being at work wasn't too bad. Unless you haven't fixed a F/A-18 in about 4 hours and are wondering why you are still sitting at the hanger at 2 AM. Don't ever expect any answers to why, except probably why are you questioning me? I'm the type of guy that doesn't like being stuck somewhere if something isn't going on, but that seems to happen all the time in the aviation side of things.

Some ratings are way crowded compared to others, so def. try to go in as a E-3, not as a E-1 like I did, even though I passed all rating exams, PRTs, and never got in trouble, it took my last testing cycle to reach E-4, even then I was frocked and not paid for it, so I lost it when I tried to go into the active reserves. Very frustrating.

You will have good times and bad times, def. will have times you couldn't have had anywhere else, it kinda sounds like I had a horrible time, but it was good stuff.

If you are thinking aviation, I think that is a great idea. I liked my job as a AE.
Just remember, where ever you start you will probably have to do bullshit work for a while regardless.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tom's_03SVT
We'll go out a limb here, but if you have an automotive back ground and are interested in doing that for living, You should check out the Seabees, I'm a Construction Mechanic. We don't go on ships and we live better than most of the other services on deployment. There are two main bases for us one in Ca and the other in MS . We work heavily with all the Naval Specwar communities.

Our advancement is very good, I made Senior Chief in 13 years.
seabees is a great way of life just hope you make the right decision for you.i was a seabee (always will be at heart) and would not changea thing! good luck.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, i can't see past the Navy uniforms! Sorry. The AF is a joke. Short deployments, well taken care of, etc. The AF is like a club. lol
Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

I've been in for 13yrs. I started in the blue navy and crosse dover to the green, Seabee's. I wouldn't trade my time on the ships, but being on deployment, living in baracks, and not riding a ship to get there I wouldn't trade for anything. I'm a CM1, Construction Mechanic First Class and love it. We work on all heavy equipment, dozers, cranes, pile drivers, etc. It's fun, but we do work hard. But like all the other gut have said and we can't say it enough, get an A-school. Dont come inundesignated. You WILL hate life. Make good sound decisions and hope to se you out there.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

I am not in the navy so I cant give any direct advice but I would consider the Spec War side if I were you. If that is something that you like. Being in a special ops unit you will work with a much better caliber of people on average and do lots of fun stuff. The pay is better too. Remember this on the Navy comericials they show on tv like 80% of the stuff they show is from the SpecOps side. If you dont like being on a boat you can always enlist with the first team and go Army lol
Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Atleast you won't have to worry about layoffs...
Old 07-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
So i've thought about enlisting in the navy recently. I have been talking to a guy at work, a 20 year retired vet, and he loved his job in the navy and knows a few guys that i should talk to if i decide to go in. I just want to hear about some experiences from you guys about the best way to go in, what to do, what not to do, what you liked and didnt, etc. There are alot of reasons i want to enlist, and there are a few that hold me back. As far as jobs go, i have no idea what i want to do when i go in either.

a little about me, I'm a 21 year old single guy living with mom and stepdad, no kids, no record, working in parts sales, and i want to do something with my life. college didnt do it for me, i couldnt stay focused. i went through a tech school program and did well but thats just because it was easy.

So lets hear it from the Navy guys!
I'm a Marine...but I went to Corry Station and trained with other sailors. I've worked with several when I was on ship, too...go for a CT rate. I can't say much about it on this forum, but look it up. The training will speak for itself. On that note, you can easily take the training and experience to a great job in the private sector.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:00 PM
EW1
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I'm a Marine...but I went to Corry Station and trained with other sailors. I've worked with several when I was on ship, too...go for a CT rate. I can't say much about it on this forum, but look it up. The training will speak for itself. On that note, you can easily take the training and experience to a great job in the private sector.
I am an EW now a CTT due to the rating merger. CT is a good job. There are different types, CTT, CTR, CTM, CTN, and CTI. CTTs ride ships and do electronic warefare, CTRs work with radios, CTM repair equipment, CTI are linguists, and CTN work on networks. Depending on the type you can do subs, ships, aircraft, even support specwar. There also are jobs overseas.

I've been in 8 years and love it. I have made so many good friends and experience so much that I could tell you stories you would never believed happened to me.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys realize this is a 2 year old post that someone brought back from the grave.

Quick Reply: Thinking about Navy