Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

A&P Licensees check in... need some guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
You still have to have logged class time or on the job training, you can't just "take a test".

To the original poster, an AS is just short for assosiates degree. Like the other guys said, its worth your time to get at least an AS in it. I work with no degree guys that are like as old as my dad and they are on the floor.

My dad is a engine tech rep for a regional airline for all of their Rolls Royce engines (he workes for Rolls) for a particular aircraft. Most of his day is spent on his company lap top writing e-mails, drinking coffe, and sitting in front of the TV on the couch at home all at the same time and he makes more money then our contracted sheet metal mechanics that make $29 an hour......... and he has killer benifets.... all thanks to his degree.

Start looking around at civilian avionics jobs man, you would be suprised what they make. A lot of places will even hire you not liscensed just based of of your experiance then you go to school on the side.
If we have a jet that has an electronics problem thats more then a bad wire we just swap the box and send it to back shop for overhaul.

Almost all companies will give you a raise for getting your A&P because then you can sign stuff off. Most not all shops have a good tool crib, we have KILLER ones.
As for tools, I have been doing it for 7 months now and out of my own box I have broke out the wrenches, 1/4 inch sockets, and screw drivers......... thats mostly what everyones needs 95% of the time. There are guys there with 20+ years working on airplanes with small little push around boxes....
I think this is the post ive been looking for I think i may go ahead and get my AS, along with my A&P license. I know i can do it in 2 years or so. I plan on getting the BS, but that is going to take lomger than the time i have alotted.

As for bringing in tools for work, how is FOD controlled? Are your personnal tools inventoried everyday? Just curious...

Like i said, my tool box is getting pretty sick, and i sure as hell wouldnt mind making it a little bigger and badder out of my own pocket for a job...

And honestly, how is the work? You like it? I think i would love it, i really do enjoy my job... just hate all the BS (not bachelors, but BULLSHIT)

-justin
Old 10-04-2007, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever you do DON'T but more tools till you start working. I know guys will tool boxes the size of coffins and they don't use half their tools. Wait till you start and see what special stuff you will need.

The millitary is HUGE on taking an inventory of your tools. I know a lot of place chek you before you go into the airplane and check you again when you leave. Unless you are a contractor working on millitary aircraft then I doubt you will ever have to do that.

Some places to make you etch your empoyee number into your tools so if they find it in the airplane a year later they can fire you but at my job if you tell them you lost it upfront and you and everyone can't find it they will not fire your for it.

Some places have killer tool cribs and all the special tools you will need, some have crapy ones and only have the big expensive ones that cost 50k and thats it (mostly the test equipment).

Some places are climate controlled, mine is, its NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! but management blows honestly.

If you have a security clearance that will open more jobs for you and more money.

With what you have done allready in the AF I would try and get on with a repair station before you go to school and see if you like it. I did not untill I was pretty much done with school and this stuff really isnt for me. If I would have done this first I would have got out of that degree bust a lot of people love it.

Im telling you right now, there is a lot of BS in this work just like other jobs and the AF, you can't avoid it in life.

Purdue has a KILLER degree program with a lot of work in Avionics, I thinks its only a BS though.

I think in Avionics youll make more money in back shop or corprate aviation honestly.

Look around on the net for the jobs and call around and see how many people hire non A&P guys based on experiance. THat would get your foot in the door while you are at school.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Whatever you do DON'T but more tools till you start working. I know guys will tool boxes the size of coffins and they don't use half their tools. Wait till you start and see what special stuff you will need.

The millitary is HUGE on taking an inventory of your tools. I know a lot of place chek you before you go into the airplane and check you again when you leave. Unless you are a contractor working on millitary aircraft then I doubt you will ever have to do that.

Some places to make you etch your empoyee number into your tools so if they find it in the airplane a year later they can fire you but at my job if you tell them you lost it upfront and you and everyone can't find it they will not fire your for it.

Some places have killer tool cribs and all the special tools you will need, some have crapy ones and only have the big expensive ones that cost 50k and thats it (mostly the test equipment).

Some places are climate controlled, mine is, its NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! but management blows honestly.

If you have a security clearance that will open more jobs for you and more money.

With what you have done allready in the AF I would try and get on with a repair station before you go to school and see if you like it. I did not untill I was pretty much done with school and this stuff really isnt for me. If I would have done this first I would have got out of that degree bust a lot of people love it.

Im telling you right now, there is a lot of BS in this work just like other jobs and the AF, you can't avoid it in life.

Purdue has a KILLER degree program with a lot of work in Avionics, I thinks its only a BS though.

I think in Avionics youll make more money in back shop or corprate aviation honestly.

Look around on the net for the jobs and call around and see how many people hire non A&P guys based on experiance. THat would get your foot in the door while you are at school.
Thanks for the heads up, i wont buy tools... unless i need them!

I do have a Secret clearance.. but not a top secret

And as for a repair station, not sure what you mean by that but i work with nothing but test stations I honestly enjoy my job as a back shopper... so i dont think ill hate it... and i will try for a back shop when im done!!!!!

Thanks again for your post, you have been ever so helpful!!! Once this term is up, i will go enroll into the A&P Program and try to finish up my AS!!

-justin
Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

I'm ADAF and have my A&P. It is going to be impossible for you to go to the FAA and just get your tickets as a backshop avionics guy. You have to have 18 months of proven experience (623's, EPR's etc.) for airframe work and 18 months for engine work. You also need a signed letter from your maintenance officer vouching for your experience. If you somehow get your "tickets" I suggest you go to the Dallas School of Aeronautics. It's $1150 and took me 4 days from start to finish.

The CCAF A&P program WILL NOT get you your A&P. It is a common misconception, but all that course will do is get you your authorizations to test. You still have to pay for the tests(GI bill will pay for these) and take your oral and practical. This test will also give you 30 extra hours towards your CCAF. The AF A&P program was meant for people in your position who lack flightline experience, but are a 7 level in a maintenance carreer field. If you have anymore questions let me know. I can get in touch with the CCAF A&P program manager.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

A repair station is a place that repairs aircraft for other companies. At my place we do United, Southwest, and FedEx aircraft but we are not employees of that company. See what I am getting at?

A lot of repair stations don't have A&P's, the have a lot of repair men. A repair man is a step below an A&P.

If you have a secret clearance you cna make more money.

You can work for the shops that work on the avioncis for the stelath birds and stuff like that.

Honestly you may not need your A&P and if you only want to do avionics and back shop for it you could get away with an airframe only liscence and a few avionics certifications.

TRUST ME, your clearance will make you more money. Whatever you do DO NOT LOSE IT.

Find out that companies that make or maintain the avionics systems for the millitary then start keeping an eye on their job ads.

I am sure you can get your boss to sign a letter proving your hours spent in the back shop and the things you have done. Do that and hold on to it along with your clearance. Have as much paperwork as you can proving all of your background, this will make you more money.

I bet you could get out making $20+ an hour starting out pretty easy if you play your cards right.

I can't say this enough, DO NOT LOSE YOUR CLEARANCE! IT WILL MAKE YOU MORE MONEY! Places like Raytheon love hiring guys with a clearance.

jmill96z, you know a former CMSGT Santos? He and my father and a few other guys started Tiger team, aka the A&P program.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Yea i got that one a few weeks ago in my email traffic... its kinda what started the inception of this idea... damn 1st shirts and there spamming...

a week? i saw in the brochure you have to have at least a 7 level, so ill need to make staff... and you have to be in 6 years minimum.. ME = 3 yrs 4 months.. Did they get to go to dallas permissable TDY? Because that would be the ****!

Well I have plenty of tools, but its starting to get REAL heavy... I may look into them in the future

-justin

It's recomemded that you have your 7 level, and be a staff. Not required though, just harder to get that's all. There are butt load of guys here at holloman that have theirs. One of my friends Her and Her husband both have them. She got hers before joining the military(her family runs a small airport in Cali somewhere, grew up working on planes) Husband got his in late 04 after getting out. Now, both work for lockheed martin across the ramp working on UAE F-16 making $60k a peice.

I can't remember...I'll ask them though on the TDY bit. I do know they had their room, board, reimbursed to them. So, it might be.

You can make Staff...Amn in the shop made it by .01 We were all surprised. Came in Jan or Feb 04, sewed on SrA last June, and tested this year and made it. so, right around 3yrs or so. I think he made BTZ, no sure tho.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You might look into the USMAP program to get your journeyman's license as well as testing for your FCC license. Those will take you very far as a prior avionics tech and you can usually find work anywhere.

L-3 pays really well (I think most guys make over $20/hour starting). If you can venture onto other paths, instrument techs get paid very well working at chem plants. Also locomotive engineers, windmill companies, and a few other places pay very well and the work is similar to what you do as an avionics tech.

Marty
Old 10-07-2007, 04:59 AM
TECH Regular

I was in the Army As a Mh-47 Chinook flt engineer and crewchief, got out in 97. I ended up useing my GI bill to go to Colorado Aero tech. It took me 21 months to complete school. It sucks because you have to be there or you'll have to start the block over. Its a 40 hour a week commitment, + I had a full time job. 80 hours a week got really old. While I was going to A&P school, I worked as a lead Building heaters and air conditioners for helicopters, so I stayed in the industry. After I graduated school with an Associates degree, I stayed at the same job and I started teaching at Colorado Aero tech.
About 1 1/2 years later I got hired on at Frontier Airlines in Denver working heavy check (C check or "Phase Maintenance"). Worked 5 years in heavy maintenance then got promoted to a Lead A&P Mechanic on Line Maintenance. So I have been here nearly 7 1/2 years and love my job. I have nearly 18 years experience in the field and let me tell you, I am damn lucky to be where I am today. It's a hard field to make it in outside the Military.

If you want to pursue this career path, be prepared to work Graveyards, holidays (But you get 2 1/2 times pay for it) , and weekends for a long, long time. Senority in the company is the name of the game. Doesn't matter how much experience you have elsewhere, you'll start at the bottom and you'll have to work your way up. You'll be the first to be laid off when a RIF comes down. More than likely you will not work in the city you want to live in. Pe prepared to get all the jobs nobody wants, ********, cargo pitts, sheetmetal just to name a few.

This is all from a airline side of the industry. That is what I picked because I had absolutely no interest makeing $13 an hour in general aviation. Airlines is where the big money is. Good luck getting on with UPS, FED EX or DHL. you have to be like royality to get one of those jobs.

Also, most airlines are requireing their avionics techs to also have their A&P. Any sHlub can go out and get their FCC with one of those week long memorizing brain freeze seminars.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job, I am finally now in a good postion (just got a dayshift slot with weds/thurs off after 7 1/2 years of graveyards working weekends) and it can be rewarding I get to taxi Airbus 319 and Boeing 737's around. The pay is not bad, I make 70-75K a year, and I still have not toped out. But just be prepared for what is in stored for you.

If I had to do it over again, I would be an auto mechanic. Better pay, you can work where ever you want, there is a larger demand for them, and in most cases you get at least part of the weekend and holidays off.

Last edited by Jays00ss; 10-07-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah no kidding about the lavs and pits!!!!!!! I was stuck in the aft pit of a 737 the other day with 8 other guys all night!!!!!!!!!!

If he is baskshop thought I doubt hell ever do that stuff.

I know a guy graduatiing car mechanic school and he is finding that the dealerships are the only ones that have benifits.

I love the heavy checks, hate the 3 and 4 day checks.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

I think working Line maintenance is the best place to be. Fast paced, working different planes all day long, More troubleshooting and you have to be more of "Johny on the spot" I love the pressure. Heavy Maintenance is a lot like Factory work and gets so monotonous.

I am just getting off the RON (Return overnight) crew this week and will be going to day shift. We do a lot of A-checks, heavy service, Clearing of MEL's, and ops check cards while the plane stays overnight waiting for the morning bank to go out. Stay real busy and makes the night go by fairly quick. Get to do a lot of Taxiing of the planes, High power engine runs, and other duties the Day shift guys don't see much.

All in all its a wonderful job, but like I said before, Seniority is the name of the game.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry this is a little off topic but I got my A&P back on 05 and lost my card they sent me. I still have my temp paper they gave me but I lost that card that looks like a credit card. I just stopped crewing B1 Bombers a few months ago. Im going Firefighter now. Anyway, anyone know how or who I need to get in contact with to get my license back. And if anyone has really good A&P knowledge please PM me, I have a few more questions but dont want to steal the thread.

Good luck on what ever you choose. I would get you CCAF for sure while you can. I should have got mine while I was getting my A&P. I went through Embry-Riddle fyi, decent course but could have been more hands on. With you experience as back shop avionics you could get a good jop, just get the certs you need. Like others said, with out the 18 months experience on airframe or 18 on power plant or 30 months total for both getting you tickets is going to be hard.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

99, you jus thave to fill out a simple form to get another one, call the FAA paperwork office in OKC or look it up in the FAR's.

I don't mind the HMV work guys, they are good at putting us on different stuff.

Its the 3-4 day checks that are all teh same things day in and day out. I think line maintenance would be good though.

At my compnay senoirity means crap honestly. Its all about who is best freinds with who. I was on the Fed Ex line and am now back on United (love it) and all the guys back on the FedEx line are all buddies with everyone. If you were not buddies with the big guys you got moved. Its like that threw the whole building. They guys with senority and a lot of it still make close to what the regular guys make with less.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
I'm ADAF and have my A&P. It is going to be impossible for you to go to the FAA and just get your tickets as a backshop avionics guy. You have to have 18 months of proven experience (623's, EPR's etc.) for airframe work and 18 months for engine work. You also need a signed letter from your maintenance officer vouching for your experience. If you somehow get your "tickets" I suggest you go to the Dallas School of Aeronautics. It's $1150 and took me 4 days from start to finish.

The CCAF A&P program WILL NOT get you your A&P. It is a common misconception, but all that course will do is get you your authorizations to test. You still have to pay for the tests(GI bill will pay for these) and take your oral and practical. This test will also give you 30 extra hours towards your CCAF. The AF A&P program was meant for people in your position who lack flightline experience, but are a 7 level in a maintenance carreer field. If you have anymore questions let me know. I can get in touch with the CCAF A&P program manager.

bingo. The flight standards guy that has to certify you to even take the test will review your qualifications before you get the paperwork(if he's a legit flight standards officer) and backshop doesn't get you the time and experience on powerplant OR airframe. I worked propulsion for years and had several years in QA as well and the ONLY way my papers got signed was the fact that I got CUT trained back in the late 80's/early 90's. Then I still had to take the test and do the oral and practicals as well. My practicals consisted of an annual inspection on a Cessna 421, doing a fibrous wing repair(torn fabric on a wing of a J3 cub) and removal, reinstallation and timing of a set of mags on a big 6 cylinder continental engine in a Cessna 210. Now I'm back playing the reserve game and it doesn't pay me a bit more.......... although it DID play a factor in a part-time gig I have right now for extra play money. If you want to make a career out of aircraft stay FAR away from general aviation. The hours suck, the owners suck and the money sucks even worse. Go with a major carrier if you can or a big contractor like L3. L3 is probably the most stable out of all of them. Oh, and as long as your going to try for tickets, get the avionics endorsement too........ there's always a shortage of sparkchasers and pinheads!!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Addict

General aviation hahahaha.

HEY YOU! WHY DID YOU THROW AWAY THAT SCREW! THAT JUST COST ME ANOTHER DOLLAR!

Well sir, would you rather me throw it away now or have to drill it out later and have it cost you $5???

Avionics guys are wire burners and testers.

Know how you find out a line is hot? Reach back behined the insutment pannel. Still nothing? Reach a little farther........

Also got to pull the aft lower left belly skin tonight, half of it was soaked in blue juice and "pther things"...... soaked that bad moy in citra safe since I had to pull the shims off and they were in the juice.

That was the highlight of my night............
Old 10-10-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

woo hoo!! worked my last night on graveyard for at least the next 6 months last night. Day shift here I come!!! A lot more eye candy walking around the terminal during the day!!
On a side note: Last night our aircraft appearance folks drove one of thier big catering type trucks into 3 different jetways lastnight. Guy got out and ran. Man he screwed a lot of stuff up, Riped all the electrical, heating and water lines down from the bottom of the jetway. It was hiliarious. I have pics on my cell phone however I can't load them. They had to let the air out of all the tires to get him out from under the jetway.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

HAHAHAHA, yeah the only eye candy we have at night is two of the girls from the aircraft cleaning company (heavy cleaning, not pre-flight). And one of the structures girls looks fairly good.

Thats about it...........

The other nigh ton the C check like (3 day check) one of the guys was messing with some hydraulic lines in the nose gear wheel well and forgot to cap off the lines thinking th enew part was going on later.

Well it did not and they threw on A system or whatever and they said it was a waterfall of skydroll. The lines were pointed up so it was a sight to see.

I guess by the time they shut it off it pretty much dumped all of A system hahaha.

I guess it looked so cool that nobody got mad a the guy.

Well on the skin, swings has the left and days has the right.

Our old skin was sceduled to come out Thursday or Friday.
Thursday our new skin is going in to get drilled up
Days will be ready to pull theirs come Friday I think.
By the time ours is in and painted days will have their area primed and ready to put the skin up for drilling.......

Just two of us comparred to 3 of them......... its rather funny.

Jays, Denver airport SUCKS............ from what I hear......... my grandparents live in Morrison, they have a house right at the foot hills and have this huge picture window in their bedroom and you see nothing but mountians. Its like a 2 minute drive and you are in the Rockies.

Love it out there.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Denvers airport is pretty nice I think. One of the biggest in the country and we only have a couple of Maintenance hangers there. STUPID, all the wasted space there. It is nothing but fields. Denver likes to tax so much that no one wants to have any maintenace here. Frontier is in the market to build a new C-check hanger however Denver keeps fighting us for all the taxes they want to collect So, we might move our maintenace operations elsewhere. There is talk about moving the c-check to Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Front Range airport (About 5 miles away from DIA), or Jefco airport (about 35 miles west of DIA).
Me, I think it is all a ploy to try to back down Denver a little bit and give us some tax breaks to build a new hanger at DIA. ? Guess time will tell we should know in the next month or so.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Guys im loving all the replies. really motivating me to get my *** in the education affice asap.

I just finished my speech class today. So now all i have left is 1 or 2 management classes, History, and English and ive got a CCAF. Tomorrow im going to sign up for the history 2 since i farkin hate pre 1890 history ... i totally bombed that CLEP ... Like real real bad Once im enrolled im going to set my appointment for the management CLEPs. I may also try another english CLEP just to see what happens. I have 2 weeks until the next term anyways, so i have to keep busy.

While im there im going to ask about getting the most expensive cert i can ascertain with my career field and GI bill... Good idea or bad idea? discuss...

And for the record, im not too blinded with makin money... If in can live comfortably, maybe one day be a boss, own house, have the TA for the weekends, and still have time to come home and see my kids grow up ill be one happy sumbitch...

-justin
Old 10-13-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Addict

Red, keep in mind you will pretty much work nights only for a few years. When it comes to the GI bill spend the money on something you are going to use the most. If you could use them all then get themost expensive one OR save the GI bill for A&P school.
Whatever you do don't do what this one guy at work does who we call super genius. Don't tape up your degree in your tool box!!!!!!!!! The same guy was helping us try and remove a side belly skin (have to force them out) and well he ignoored the fact that it was not wanting to come out and he kept pushing harder on it. Well it was still held it at the top by some celicos and he screwed up some hoes doing it...... so now we call him super genius........

Jay, I know Frontier was looking at our building but that was months ago.

Im at the largest maintenance facility in the country. American has more hangars but we are larger in size.
Ill give you a hint, think UNITED but I don't work for UNITED.

We have 1 empty dock/hangar, 2 months ago we had 3 empty.

The building is climate controlled and I love it, the air was at 57 degrees today hahaha.

Pay sucks though lol.

Junior A&P's get $15, I know a guy with like 10 years under him making $18.XX. I think the leads get $21 or $22.

Only money is sheetmetal contractors, they make $28 and the ones doing wiglet mods make $29.

I know the guys making the 787 seat tracks in NY are making like $32.

All contract though.....
Old 10-13-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

I make $31 an hour as a lead after 7 years with Frontier. I also qet a good amount of overtime $10,000 this year so far.

Quick Reply: A&P Licensees check in... need some guidance.