Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

A&P Licensees check in... need some guidance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, airlines tend to pay a lot more.

Some of our sheetmetal guys that are GOOD do KILLER on OT.

I am thinking strongley about going to work for CAT.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Yeah, airlines tend to pay a lot more.

Some of our sheetmetal guys that are GOOD do KILLER on OT.

I am thinking strongley about going to work for CAT.
I completely suck at Sheet metal. I wish I had more of a knack at it I could probly make a killing doing it on the side.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

A good sheetmetal guy is someone that knows how to fix their mistakes.......... thats the key.

I sucked when I first started.

My goal now is to get on with Rolls building engines.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:34 AM
10 Second Club

This is all what kind of scares me about the idea of getting out. I've got 9 years on C-130's and C-17's with QA experience and all the crap that goes with it. I know I can get on at FEDEX, but I hate the idea of starting all over. It doesn't seem like there is a decent amount of money in the business for the first 10 years or so. I know I have no interest in Gen Av. I guess I'll ride out the next 11 years and collect the retirement after that.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
This is all what kind of scares me about the idea of getting out. I've got 9 years on C-130's and C-17's with QA experience and all the crap that goes with it. I know I can get on at FEDEX, but I hate the idea of starting all over. It doesn't seem like there is a decent amount of money in the business for the first 10 years or so. I know I have no interest in Gen Av. I guess I'll ride out the next 11 years and collect the retirement after that.
As much as you think the military might suck now, It is actually not a bad gig. you get most weekends off, holidays off with 4 day weekends, The pay is not bad, you'll always have a job and not have to worry about a layoff. You get all your on post privileges (That is something I miss a lot).
I had about the same experience as you in the Army, I was a Flight engineer on MH-47 Chinooks. Had qc experience, When my bird went into phase Maintenance I was in charge of running it. However when I got out, I was treated like I just got out of A&P school. Started at the bottom. I guess my experience helped me land the job but I started with guys that were 19-20 years old right out of school as well.
I know going over to the middle east sucks, You probably have been there already, but if you can stick it out, it might be worth it. My advise to you, If you love aviation, stick with it, get your A&P while you are still in. when you get out be prepared for a long bumpy ride. If you are getting sick of it, look into a different career field and let the Air force pay your tuition.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

You can get on at FEDEX but as a box thrower, the only people they hire on direct for aircraft are the guys out of school sometimes. If you have any time on airplanes or they are not looking for juniors then you have to start out throwing boxes.

On aircraft they start out at $29 from what I hear.

UPS maxes out at $59 but its not a very good company (trust me) and you have to throw boxes for YEEEAARRRSSS before you can go down to the hub and thats if you have a good supervisor that likes you.

At both places it helps if you know someone, well helps a lot but you still have to start at the bottom. I know UPS has two fil cabnet drawers full of nothing but aircraft tech resumes.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 10-24-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Second Club

I did the box thrower thing about 10 years ago. All I have to do is say I want a job now that I have my A&P. I've got some people on the inside.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Doing it 10 years ago and doing it now are two seperate things.

You will be suprised how hard it will be even knowing someone or people but if it works then more power to ya.

I THINK you keep your senority if you were there longer then two years but I know guys that have been in for two and still there and still waiting for a slot.
Most of the jobs are at Memphis also.
I know one guy that waited for 6 and he had to go to Nebraska

FedEx and UPS also test you before they hire you, its a monster from what they say and they test you over everything, it makes your A&P test look like a joke.

I also know at UPS that knowing someone high up in KY gets your resume moved close to the top of the list but you still have to fight the other guys that have been at it for YEARS.

Im just saying that unless you know like the head of HR or mainenance that its still going to be harder then you think and unless you were there for like more then two years you will have no senoirty at all.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

UPS sucks because of the way their union is set up. I guess you could say I know ALL of the heads of maintenance, both vehicle and aircraft. I grew up around FEDEX as my father has worked there for 20+ years. I am kind of undecided about wanting to raise my kids in Memphis. That's where I was raised, and it's definatley of gone down hill in the last decade or so. The only reason I didn't get out after my first enlistment was that I hadn't got my A&P yet.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

Just saying don't be suprised if you have to throw boxes agin just for a little bit but if you don't then cool!

The rumor is tha FEDEX techs are about to get a nice raise.

You could live 50 miles from Memphis hub and get a nice per-diem........

You don't HAVE to work at Memphis, just easier to get on going there, however your contacts MAY only help you at that location though.

Quick Reply: A&P Licensees check in... need some guidance.