Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any Rangers Or S/f?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airborne/Special Operations he seeks. Prepared is a question my 20 years will ask.

I wish you luck in whatever you do, as a recent 1SG in the 173rd with all the bells and whistles and units in my background, I give you this advice:

1) CrossFit.com
2) Max your APFT now
3) Not all drill sergeants, leaders, units, are equal
4) It's the GWOT, don't expect to jump all the time, learn to shoot under combat conditions
5) Learn medical tasks as well as you learn to shoot
6) You will have many bad days, to include a day or many where your new closest friends are hurt (have you prepared your mind for this- On Killing, by Dave Grossman)
7) The enemy doesn't care what unit you're in, there are no front lines, everybody's in the fight these days (there are unheard of units doing more than the top five).
8) You will deploy deploy more than you think, and it's going to have an effect on you the new guy. The second and third times will not be with the same people, chain of command, etc. Every senior will leave your unit to assist the Army, you won't. You will have to learn how to be a leader the first time, cause you will be relied upon by the next highschool senior.
9) Life is hard, get a helmet
10) Don't practice Jackassery. There's a time and place for it. And it's not in the units or community you seek to be a part of. We've kicked too many a young man to the curb because of it. Wanna be a paratrooper, ranger, sf, etc., man the f__k up and come get some on our terms. Don't bring home to the active Army after basic etc. That's where our basic training fails compared to our only rival. If you don't change yourself in basic, the RIP cadre will see, and that works against you. And you can't fake the funk past basic, everybody see's who you really are, and what you're really about.

What is the sword without the flesh to wield it?
Old 12-05-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Regular

Lets just put it this way "if PERFECT is never good enough for you" .. try your hand at going Ranger --- I was Infantry-airborne-air assualt w/RIP school and made it through with a 339 PT score -- (300 is a perfect score) My PT wasnt high enough at the time they were selecting the 380+ PT scores ... thats how crazy insane awesome you have to be to even get into a Ranger Batt. As for awesome training they have it. And like everyone says -- Make sure its in your contract .. oh yea Girls in the army can pass Airborne ..its cake -- Air Assualt well thats where the big boys play --- I dont believe the army even offers pathfinder anymore i believe it was phased out
Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

80 Talibs down, last weekend.

Everybody has a roll in this thing we call the GWOT. Whatever you do, you'll be doing your part in it.

Steele up, partner, this aint for the other 90% of the population!!!
Attached Thumbnails Any Rangers Or S/f?-picture-012-copy-2-.jpg   Any Rangers Or S/f?-capt_65f69aed617b4baa9320d60fb74208ec_afghanistan_violence_rmx101.jpg   Any Rangers Or S/f?-capt_ed8607092ef8461dbd1bf934c5004b34_afghanistan_violence_rmx110.jpg  
Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 AM
On The Tree

Transamman, Pathfinder is still there, bud. I'm just not going to send any jackass to it.

And as for your high *** PT score and you didn't get into the Regiment (you're still using the term Bat which is an indicator of other things than your APFT score), that's about a crock. We're not going to have a sword fish fight here, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. This is exactly how guys end up at the 1st Cav division or the 101st, talking about they got screwed at RIP- cause some jackass out there in civilian life told them some cocamaimy story about what is and what isn't. A small amount of youth can max the APFT out of basic, let alone get to RIP and score a 300. Small few. I guess you were it.

Whatever, hey bud, we'll leave this one alone. I'll stop. I'm just a Sergeant Major who knows nothing about nothing, and I've been riding a ******* desk the last 10 of 20! If I offend you, oh well, don't come to my battalion looking for a leadership position and we'll just keep ourselves concerned with cars, etc.

Hey, young stud, this is what you have to deal with in the Army. Every town out there has a jackass who thinks he knows exactly what the Sergeant Major is supposed to be doing, but he can't tell you how to index a target, borelight his PA-15 on a Mk46 top rail, and can't explain dynamic/static grouping to a horse!

Ok, my 18 series firend says I should stop.

Cease Fire.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1gen
Also, if you are sure you wanna do SF talk to your recruiter about the 18X program. It's SF recruit, you'll have to pass a PT test before you leave for basic, as well as score a good GT score on the ASVAB. You'll go to basic, then airborne, then SFAS prep, then SFAS, then SFQC then most times you'll go to the DLAB. You wont get double tabbed but you'll at least guarantee that you'll get to try out. If you fail at the 18X program youll be airborne infantry until you can try again if command lets you
I was going to mention that as well, that is a good choice if you want to go straight into SF.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 248 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Gearss
Transamman, Pathfinder is still there, bud. I'm just not going to send any jackass to it.

And as for your high *** PT score and you didn't get into the Regiment (you're still using the term Bat which is an indicator of other things than your APFT score), that's about a crock. We're not going to have a sword fish fight here, but you obviously don't know what you're talking about. This is exactly how guys end up at the 1st Cav division or the 101st, talking about they got screwed at RIP- cause some jackass out there in civilian life told them some cocamaimy story about what is and what isn't. A small amount of youth can max the APFT out of basic, let alone get to RIP and score a 300. Small few. I guess you were it.

Whatever, hey bud, we'll leave this one alone. I'll stop. I'm just a Sergeant Major who knows nothing about nothing, and I've been riding a ******* desk the last 10 of 20! If I offend you, oh well, don't come to my battalion looking for a leadership position and we'll just keep ourselves concerned with cars, etc.

Hey, young stud, this is what you have to deal with in the Army. Every town out there has a jackass who thinks he knows exactly what the Sergeant Major is supposed to be doing, but he can't tell you how to index a target, borelight his PA-15 on a Mk46 top rail, and can't explain dynamic/static grouping to a horse!
Agreed.

Thank God I'm retiring. This Army is turning into a mess.
I can wear 4 different combat patches, 2 tabs, 2 wings and badges on my ACUs. Guess what I wear. Name, US Army, rank and unit patch.

Remember when you wore a combat patch and you stood out? Now if you don't, you really stand out. Especially when you have some rank. So now I just play the "I don't know diddley squat" role.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:27 PM
Teching In

6thgearss your last name Puck?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 6Gearss
as a recent 1SG in the 173rd with all the bells and whistles and units in my background,
Were you there when my buddy CSM Gunter was the man?
Old 12-05-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Transamman25
I was Infantry-airborne-air assualt w/RIP school and made it through with a 339 PT score -- (300 is a perfect score) My PT wasnt high enough at the time they were selecting the 380+ PT scores
Wow. I know it's been a couple of decades since I lived through RIP, but I didn't know it changed that much. Matter of fact, I know it hasn't.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Launching!

First off, just to make this clear, in NO way am I bashing the military. I am appreciative of all the people that have fought with me and/or have fought before me and given time out of their lives, or even their life, if duty called for such. I thank everyone for the support we get from civilians, and in no way am I ungrateful. I am just simply giving people who want to enlist, my point of view on the military and how it has affected me. I am trying to make the best of it, believe it or not. I'm currently taking college courses working towards my Bachelor's Degree. So, I'm getting what I can outta the Military, just like they are going to get theirs.
Originally Posted by 1flynDO
Thanks for your service Blackhawk 02.
Thank you for your support.

Originally Posted by kill_machine85
Semper FI blackhawk_02
Err.

Originally Posted by anarchy99
Thanks CNN/Fox news for reminding me about that. I'm sure the corps will miss you. back on topic.
You're welcome, don't forget CBS and NBC. NBC has some great shows, duh, you should know that. I don't care if the Corps will miss me, I won't miss the people in it. And for the record, it's not the Corps that I hate, or the military in general, it's SOME of the leaders and/or people I have come in contact with or that have been over me, that haven't been the best leaders and don't look out for their own, and love to burn people.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Launching!

..To each his own, right?
Old 12-05-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I have been told most people go 11B first (Airborne INF) then go onto Ranger.

A lot of guys I have known RANGER school ended up being a steping stone to SF.

I know one guy that I am sure is SF now, he started out as a forward scout then when to RANGER. When the guy was not in shape he could run for MILES no problem, but he had the heart, its what he wanted since his freshman year.

Remember that if you want a family or wife the Ranger/SF life will be hard on it.

I did not know you could sign up as RANGER, thought you had to go 11B first or INF?

Just remember, a recruiter will tell you anything you want to hear.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
From what I have been told most people go 11B first (Airborne INF) then go onto Ranger.

A lot of guys I have known RANGER school ended up being a steping stone to SF.

I did not know you could sign up as RANGER, thought you had to go 11B first or INF?

11B is not the only mos in regiment. Rangers are like any other infantry brigade. You can be a cook with a scroll on your sleeve. You can sign up for the Airborne Ranger option. The day you graduate airborne school (after basic and ait), the RI's pick your *** up for a rude awakening. RIP and ranger school are two different things. A recruiter can't give you ranger school obviously.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

I doubt he wants to be a cook from what he is saying
Old 12-06-2007, 01:50 PM
Teching In

It is a "short" run to the 75th's RIP. Rude awakening??????????? LOL Better learn the Ranger creed ahead of time. Get a high and tight. Keep your mouth shut and your eyes open. It used to be an RGV4 contract 11X to RIP. The Rgt takes mechanics, medics, and a whole slew of MOS's.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah...... don't take a nap when its not nappy time

Say hi to your invisible friend also, or go after the pizzas rolling down the hill.........
Old 12-07-2007, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

OK first off RIP wasnt in my contract ... i went to RIP when i was in Korea after accumulating airborne after basic and then getting my Air Assualt while in korea going through my first extension in korea before being shipped to Iraq from Korea ... excuse me if you wanna make an *** outta you n me with your assumptions i did it straight out of basic. I worked through it by staying with it ... by requesting 1-503rd Baker Co. because of previous family going through that unit I worked my way onto "God Squad" something that probably doesnt even exist anymore ... im sorry yea i know nothing of what im talking about ... but if you would like emails of other members of my unit that also scored in the same relm of PT scores and didnt get to go please feel free to PM me and i will make sure my "story" is verified
Old 12-07-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Transamman25
i went to RIP when i was in Korea
RIP in Korea??
Old 12-09-2007, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've had the honor of being trained by retired Special Operations guys from all branches - if you're looking for the best of the best - SOF is where it's at.

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
Hey buddy, I do believe I have the 1st Ammendment Right, which in case you have forgotten, is the freedom of speech. You are entitled to your opinion just as much as I am entitled to mine, or the next guy is entitled to his. If I want to discourage someone from joining the military, then so be it, I have EVERY right to. You give them your prospective of how you like it, and I'll give mine of how I don't. Ok? Ok. Thanks.
You may be entitled to your opinion, but on this message board, 1st Amendment doesn't apply. Thanks for your service, but if folks are asking you to ease up, do so.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
Hey buddy, I do believe I have the 1st Ammendment Right, which in case you have forgotten, is the freedom of speech. You are entitled to your opinion just as much as I am entitled to mine, or the next guy is entitled to his. If I want to discourage someone from joining the military, then so be it, I have EVERY right to. You give them your prospective of how you like it, and I'll give mine of how I don't. Ok? Ok. Thanks.

this is a pvt board. you cant just say anything you want.

Quick Reply: Any Rangers Or S/f?