Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any Rangers Or S/f?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Rangers Or S/f?

hey guys im 18 about to turn 19 and i have always thought about joinging the military. while i was still in school i had a talk with an ARMY recruiter and he was an ex Ranger, the stuff we talked about really apealed to my personality. i am a thrill seeker of all sorts. constantly trying to get that adrenaline to pump. i dont know if any of you feel the same but thats how i am. my g-pa is an ex green beret. but he never talks about what he did or what it entelled. and my moms boyfriend was a SEAL for a long time. so i was just wondering whether there are any people on here who can help prvide any aditional info. i am not the kinda person who during training would quit. i am very stuborn and determined. that is i would see it out through the end. i just wanna get a lil more info from some people who have first hand experience.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kokingSS
hey guys im 18 about to turn 19 and i have always thought about joinging the military. while i was still in school i had a talk with an ARMY recruiter and he was an ex Ranger, the stuff we talked about really apealed to my personality. i am a thrill seeker of all sorts. constantly trying to get that adrenaline to pump. i dont know if any of you feel the same but thats how i am. my g-pa is an ex green beret. but he never talks about what he did or what it entelled. and my moms boyfriend was a SEAL for a long time. so i was just wondering whether there are any people on here who can help prvide any aditional info. i am not the kinda person who during training would quit. i am very stuborn and determined. that is i would see it out through the end. i just wanna get a lil more info from some people who have first hand experience.
sigh* most people who are looking into the military either want to be special forces or a "scout sniper"

really look into what your being offered from the recruiter when you say this because all they see is an easy prospect...the vast majority who go that route end up getting the not so favorable jobs...cooks, motor T, etc. or just end up being a normal grunt, nothing wrong with that but you have to go in knowing what your getting yourself into.

btw im 19 and a Lcpl in the USMC my MOS is 0861 or fire support man aka forward observer.

Chad
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

i dont really care scout sniper and i realize that alot of people who join have hopes and ambitions about special forces. i was kinda leaning towards the RANGERS. and from what the recruiter has said, its not just wishful thinking, if you can pass the training.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:55 AM
12 Second Club

i dont really care scout sniper and i realize that alot of people who join have hopes and ambitions about special forces. i was kinda leaning towards the RANGERS. and from what the recruiter has said, its not just wishful thinking, if you can pass the training.
obviously if you can pass. did he mention the fallout rate for Rangers? i'm sure its up there, I have the opportunity to go to ranger school as a Marine which I will as soon as I can...that and Airborne school as well.

why do you want to go in the military? just because of s/f? then your making a big mistake.

Chad
Old 12-03-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

no i first started thinking about the military freshman year, alot of my family is ex-military. I just dont see myself in a normal job the rest of my life. plus i have an urge to do something worth while and whats more worth while than the military. everything about it intrigues me. basically i want to know if i have what it takes. yes he did mention that about 80 percent of people who try and go airborne do not make it. but that dosnt bother me. i can go to school and get skills for a real job while im there.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Airborne school is a joke so if he said 80 percent of people going to airborne don't make it, your recruiter is full of ****.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Launching!

yes he did mention that about 80 percent of people who try and go airborne do not make it..
i think this guy was talking about Rangers, but either way airborne is 2 weeks long from what i hear, 1 week of classes and 1 week of jumps. my cousin is 0321 Recon Marine. he said airborne school was a joke. dude, if you want to join the military just to be s/f or airborne or whatever, dont join. actually, dont join period. lol.. im counting down the days until i EAS (end of active service)

SAY YES TO EAS!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Blackhawk 02, this isn't the first thread you've jumped into where you've tried to talk guys out of the Military or bitched about how it's treated you... give it a rest, the kids got a question, try to be more productive. I joined the military for a certain job and it was the best choice I ever made. Lots of my friends have joined the military or gone in just because they wanted to be quote unquote special and they weren't dissappointed either. I've never been to ranger school or the q course but if that's what you want to do in the military, talk, face to face, with someone that has done it, not a recruiter. If you get in the military and make it through the training, you won't be disappointed either... If you fail out then you will.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Good luck man with getting what you want I see that you are A senior in high school they are going to offer the world you kinda hold the ball in your hand at this point. I am a recruiter Airborne Ranger is a 18x contract the way that it works is it is a unasigned infantry contract with guaranteed Airborne training and Ranger training. You will attend Infantry basic training then Airborne school then the Ranger Indoctrination Program. If you fail the course you will be set to the regular Army as a airborne infantryman probally to the 82nd Airborne Division. If you make it then you will be placed in a Ranger Battalion and trained until they send you actual Ranger School. You can go to Ranger school from any infantry unit but you will have a better chance in a Airborne unit or Ranger unit. Don't let people talk you out of what you want to do their are always negative people out there. And no matter what people say all recruiters are not bad people the people that talk all that bad stuff about recruiters can only be mad at themselves because they knew everything that they were getting in black and white and they all voluntered and need to be man enough to honor their commitment. I am a Airborne Infantryman I did 2 deployments with the 82nd Airborne Division and 1 with the 4th Infantry Division if you want a rush you are looking at the right carreer field good luck.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Teching In

GET IT IN YOUR CONTRACT.

my roomate and alot of friends are 3rd bat, my roomate now is part of rtb or 'the rock' which is in charge of rip (ranger indoctrinate program) and is supposed to be going RRD (ranger recon) next year. If you are a thrill seeker and like doing bad *** stuff do it, they all love it.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Restricted User

Whatever you choose, think about it for a while. The army has given me so much and I am thankful just to serve my country. I left home at 17 with two changes of clothes in a backpack. I've been in nine years now and been on 3 deployments. I'll be promoted to Sergeant First Class (E-7) next month. The military is what you make of it, plain and simple. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 248 Likes on 173 Posts

Well, you seem like you have alot heart, spirit and intestinal fortitude. My suggestion is go in on the ranger program. Just be prepared physically and mentally. I hope you can run your *** off. Those guys love to run. After you receive a good amount of training, you can attend SFAS if you choose. But i don't know very many Ranger Bat guys that stayed in the SF program. Even though they completed Selection, they went back to their Bat. It just wasn't for them. Alot of them seemed like it was a little slower paced. I can understand why. In a group you have older higher ranking soldiers, where-as in in a Bat. you have quite a few young, cocky 18-21y/o and they like to have fun and that carries on to the entire Bat. Everyone I knew in a Bat is a wildman. Even the CSM's.

If you do do it, always keep your head up and keep a positive attitude. When the training is all over, it's nothing but comaraderie and experience from there on out.

This is very ironic. Tonight, I had just typed up a training program for one of my soldiers getting ready to attend in a few months.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

I was SF 18B, if you really wanna go know that youre not gonna be having a lot of family around, youre gonna be in training for a long time, and your feet are gonna hurt like a sonofabitc*. The fallout rate is about 95 out of 100 that originally go to SFAS, the biggest reason is not taking care of your feet and dehydration/overheating. The biggest mistake people make is they try to go to SF because it sounds cool. Also know that when you get out of the Army (this can happen whether or not you like it or not, I got a involuntary honorable med discharge) you will have nothing to fall back on unless youre an SF medic because its the only one that actually has credentials in the real world. Make sure its what you really want because if you go in and decide its not for you after all that then its a little late to start going to college, and contrary to what recruiters say you will NOT have time to go to school except maybe one class a semester. You cant just tell your CO "hey buddy I have class so I've gotta run"
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Also, if you are sure you wanna do SF talk to your recruiter about the 18X program. It's SF recruit, you'll have to pass a PT test before you leave for basic, as well as score a good GT score on the ASVAB. You'll go to basic, then airborne, then SFAS prep, then SFAS, then SFQC then most times you'll go to the DLAB. You wont get double tabbed but you'll at least guarantee that you'll get to try out. If you fail at the 18X program youll be airborne infantry until you can try again if command lets you
Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Teching In

Either choice you will be pushed and challanged. Lead, follow or get the F out of the way. You had better have real motivation. It is a long *** haul for SF. Going to the BN is no BS either. ABN, RIP and 6-12 mo. of getting your *** smoked. Ex. We are going to practice airfield seizures......you are going to run around the airfield til you have a seizure. Then the 2 mo. at Ranger school. Get used to doing push ups and road marching. If you leave you will miss it.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Go to armyranger.com
Old 12-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by anarchy99
Blackhawk 02, this isn't the first thread you've jumped into where you've tried to talk guys out of the Military or bitched about how it's treated you... give it a rest, the kids got a question, try to be more productive.
Hey buddy, I do believe I have the 1st Ammendment Right, which in case you have forgotten, is the freedom of speech. You are entitled to your opinion just as much as I am entitled to mine, or the next guy is entitled to his. If I want to discourage someone from joining the military, then so be it, I have EVERY right to. You give them your prospective of how you like it, and I'll give mine of how I don't. Ok? Ok. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Teching In

The military is not for everyone. I have never seen the army make a good person bad, only better. I have seen the army make a bad person worse. You will get out of it what you put into it in most instances. Thanks for your service Blackhawk 02.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Yeah sometimes you just need to suck it up man. I bet your life will be harder once your out then right now. Im one of them that joined as something ( presidential security) and didnt get it, finding out at the end of boot camp, that the recruiter jewed me, and now im a motor t mech. its not all bad, you got to make the best of it. But whatever you want to enlist as make sure its stated, on your contract. If you end up not wanting to do anything to crazy off the bat ask about the two year contracts and if you like it reenlist as the MOS9job) you want.
Semper FI blackhawk_02
Old 12-05-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
Hey buddy, I do believe I have the 1st Ammendment Right, which in case you have forgotten, is the freedom of speech. You are entitled to your opinion just as much as I am entitled to mine, or the next guy is entitled to his. If I want to discourage someone from joining the military, then so be it, I have EVERY right to. You give them your prospective of how you like it, and I'll give mine of how I don't. Ok? Ok. Thanks.
Thanks CNN/Fox news for reminding me about that. I'm sure the corps will miss you. back on topic.

Quick Reply: Any Rangers Or S/f?