Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Aerial Gunner's

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aerial Gunner's

I am wanting to cross-train in gunner, I just want to know likes and dislikes. I have been an F-15 crew chief for 7 years and an F-22 crew chief for just over 1. I am a SSGT and know that it is on the critical list for staff's I just want to know what training you have to go through and how you like it. Thanks Wes
Old 12-10-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knew a guy that is on on Blackhawks with a Reserve unit in Alaska that does CSAR or for a while he was CSAR.

He went to aerial gunnery school, AF survival school, and maybe one other.

He tears stuff up with a 7.62 GAU......... what is there not to like??????????

Lots of training in the 7.62 and .50's.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ELhy4_0hM
Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Well im not a gunner but i work very close with them. it is a farly long school depends on what aircraft you get. Also depends on how well you learn the stuff and how quick you get your classes. helocopters or gunships. it could take you as long as a year to finish. good luck!
PS: your in the air force you might as well fly!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Ever thought about cross training into Flight Engineer?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
yea I did think about it, but then I was like I just want to blow **** up
Old 12-11-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Why? So you can do 10x the work and get paid the same as a gunner

You will first have to goto EAUC(enlisted aircrew undergraduate course), once you graduate that with 85% or better score(which you will have to carry for rest of your training) you move onto combat survival and resistance training. Then water survival school. Then onto basic aerial gunner school(BAG), this is where you will find out what air frame you will be assigned. Once your graduate BAG you will goto your specific airframe training. Gunships, mh53(phasing out), hh60.

Basically,
EAUC
Survival
Water survival
BAG
Main airframe training

All in all, your looking at about a years worth of training. And then your training for the rest of your life, it will never stop But its worth it and its very exciting..and the people you get to meet and dont meet

But if you make the switch, which I highly recommend. The training course will have changed. So instead of going to all those different places to train. Most of your training will be done at lackland afb. Atleast the EAUC and BAG courses.

So it will pretty much like this.

-EAUC and BAG- Lackland(get your airframe here)
-Combat Survival and Resistance training(washington st.)
-Water survival(pensacola ns, I would recommend spring break time )
-Lastly your main airframe training(the longest usually) depends on airframe where you will end up.

Hope this helps, it takes ton of dedication and study. Be prepared to be hazed and ragged on. Esp coming from another AFSC already. If you cant hack the hazing and ragging you wont make it through your main airframe. Seen it plenty of times...

Good luck! Dont forget you will get flight pay! woot!

Last edited by turbo; 12-11-2007 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by turbo
Why? So you can do 10x the work and get paid the same as a gunner

You will first have to goto EAUC(enlisted aircrew undergraduate course), once you graduate that with 85% or better score(which you will have to carry for rest of your training) you move onto combat survival and resistance training. Then water survival school. Then onto basic aerial gunner school(BAG), this is where you will find out what air frame you will be assigned. Once your graduate BAG you will goto your specific airframe training. Gunships, mh53(phasing out), hh60.

Basically,
EAUC
Survival
Water survival
BAG
Main airframe training

All in all, your looking at about a years worth of training. And then your training for the rest of your life, it will never stop But its worth it and its very exciting..and the people you get to meet and dont meet

But if you make the switch, which I highly recommend. The training course will have changed. So instead of going to all those different places to train. Most of your training will be done at lackland afb. Atleast the EAUC and BAG courses.

So it will pretty much like this.

-EAUC and BAG- Lackland(get your airframe here)
-Combat Survival and Resistance training(washington st.)
-Water survival(pensacola ns, I would recommend spring break time )
-Lastly your main airframe training(the longest usually) depends on airframe where you will end up.

Hope this helps, it takes ton of dedication and study. Be prepared to be hazed and ragged on. Esp coming from another AFSC already. If you cant hack the hazing and ragging you wont make it through your main airframe. Seen it plenty of times...

Good luck! Dont forget you will get flight pay! woot!
Thanks for all the great info!! I can handle anything I am a Crew Chief, we are a breed of our own
Old 12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem, if you ever have any questions just ask or pm me. Be glad to help you.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow, ive had a few friends seriously consider doing this and they all are under the impression that cross-training into this career field is going to be a breeze. i believe they're under the impression that all they learn is how to point 'n shoot lol. didnt realize they had all this kinda training, and had to keep an 85% or higher

just outta curiousity, what is it that u have to study so hard to be able to shoot a gun out of a chopper or a plane?
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chewy99ws6
Thanks for all the great info!! I can handle anything I am a Crew Chief, we are a breed of our own
AMEN!
Old 12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02

just outta curiousity, what is it that u have to study so hard to be able to shoot a gun out of a chopper or a plane?

Currious on this also, I assume is target identification (really fast), learning to lead moving targets, learning were to hit things to be most effective, ect ect, all this happening in split seconds.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Currious on this also, I assume is target identification (really fast), learning to lead moving targets, learning were to hit things to be most effective, ect ect, all this happening in split seconds.
Actually, its learning your whole weapon system inside and out, your airframe etc. Learning how it all works and comes together so you can trouble shoot your malfunctions when they occur(and they will) at the sametime keeping your situational awarness of your crewmembers(4-13 aircrew depending on airframe) and outside radio contacts. I can go on for hours.

A monkey can be trained to do it. You just have to dedicate yourself during training and maintain your currency and study.

Actual shooting is a small percentage of your job. I can get more in depth with each airframe as well. Gunships do more shooting, but for a gunner its glorified reloading(still fun though). Only on helo's do you personally shoot the weapon system, But that doesnt always make it better..

Last edited by turbo; 12-14-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Aerial Gunner's