Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

PCSing to Whiteman AFB, Missouri

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCSing to Whiteman AFB, Missouri

Can anyone please give me a run down of the base and the surrounding areas? What is there to do around town?
Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You suck lol.... That's where I wanted orders to No idea on Whiteman though, just wanted to express my opinion on that Good luck, I looked at a lot of pictures of the surrounding area and I really liked it, depends on what ya like though...
Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

If your single and like to go out to the bars, Warrensburg would be good for you. It's about 8 miles from the base. Just outside the base is **** Noster. Not much really going on there. About 20 mile to the east is Sedalia. I chose to live in Sedalia because the price of houses here is not as inflated as it is in **** or Warrensburg. Also, I think the schools are better here. Let me know what questions you have and I'll try to help you out. I've been here for almost 4 years now. Came here from Nellis. Yeah, it was a huge change! What career field you in? I'm in CE.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:31 AM
Teching In

Hey! I am an AGE troop.

No I am married, but I do hear Warrensburg is party college central.

My wife and I are looking into renting a house with a garage and a dishwasher. We don't want to buy until we know what neighborhoods are best.

The type of house we're looking at can be a single car garage, and we prefer the home to be decent (not falling apart, infested) in a decent area. How much per month can we expect to pay rent wise?

Also do they salt the roads alot during the winter? None of our cars we have are cancer buckets, as winters are mild here in NC. Should I be looking at purchasing a winter beater?

I'm hearing the town of **** Noster is a little hick town full of poor income folks, I presume it must be trailer park central?

What kinds of eateries do you have on base? (besides the chow hall) I see you have your own BX and Commissary, which is good because Pope never really had any it's own BX and the Commissary closed in 2001.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:09 AM
On The Tree

Yeah, you heard right about **** Noster. lol. Price for housing varies. I found that for rentals, **** and Warrensburg prices are inflated due to the base and the college. Expect beteeen $500 and $800 a month. Housing prices are pretty good in this area. Yes, they do salt the roads around here. Not a problem for me because I seem to always want another new car every year or two. Haven't owned one long enough for it to rust. On base to eat besides the chow hall they have Taco Bell, Robin Hoods, Anthonys Pizza, Burger King, and the bowling alley. It's alright, just a small base. But then again I did come here from Nellis so I'm used to a big base.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Cool. Pope usually has 5000 people when fully staffed, but being next to Bragg there's 30-50k Army troops.

I also hear the areas around the base are rural?

Are the crime rates in **** Noster/Warrensburg/Sedalia high?

Also how often does the base deploy? And where are the common spots?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guam... lol... Whiteman relieved Barksdale on Guam right as we were heading home... Anyone know if they even still go to Diego Garcia?
Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Couldn't tell you about the deployments. CE dosen't go where the rest of the base goes i.e. "vacation resorts". We go to "the sandbox". I'm leaving soon for "the sandbox".

Yeah it's pretty much all a rural area. Low crime rates.

Last edited by djfeezy; 01-18-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live in **** and it blows. All I have to say is it has 1 traffic light and that should explain it all. Warrensburg is a college town a few bars that are subpar at best. They do salt the roads here. I daily drive my T/A year round so if you have polished rims like me, your forearms will get a good workout. Crime rate is really low of course seeing as how **** population is about 3K and Warrensburg popultaion is around 18K. KCIR is the local dragstrip that is frequented on occasion from March till November. It's located in Lee's Summit about 45 miles west from Warrensburg. Deployments? It all depends on what you do. SFS, SVS, CES get deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan some while the MXS, AMXS and BS get "deployed" to Guam. Im a civilian working in the SFS and I've been here for 3 years. If you're looking for renting a house Warrensburg might be the best bet, Sedalia is ok but the few times I've been out there, there are just too many ricers and ghetto cars that go 'thump, thump'. Check out the local MO F-Body site if you're interested.
www.mofbody.com
Old 01-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Wow 1 traffic light?

I plan on getting me a winter beater to drive during the winter. Coming from NC I have an 87 Turbo T Buick that's an NC car, and we don't get much snow, so it's not one of those cancerized cars.

Now how long does the snow/salt usually stick around for?

How is Sedalia in terms of shopping and recreational stuff? I see it's 20 miles the opposite direction but looks like it has more to do than Warrensburg....???

Oh, and I'm MXS, but I never thought we would go to Guam for a TDY....
Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69Nova355
Wow 1 traffic light?

I plan on getting me a winter beater to drive during the winter. Coming from NC I have an 87 Turbo T Buick that's an NC car, and we don't get much snow, so it's not one of those cancerized cars.

Now how long does the snow/salt usually stick around for?

How is Sedalia in terms of shopping and recreational stuff? I see it's 20 miles the opposite direction but looks like it has more to do than Warrensburg....???

Oh, and I'm MXS, but I never thought we would go to Guam for a TDY....
Its mostly the BS and AMXS that go to Guam. There's a friend of mine who is in AMXS and he's been twice I think since Ive been here. All it takes is one good rainstorm to wash all the salt off the road. Sedalia for shopping is equivalant to Warrensburg in my opinion. Its not like Atlanta where theres a Best Buy or Starbucks on every street corner. Recreational stuff? It all depends on what you like to do.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:32 AM
Teching In

Hey guys not trying to be a "dick" but we should not mention the places we deploy to on an open forum such as this.

On a differant note, I know a couple of guys there and they love the place. Just like any other place, its what you make of the base. Good luck!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:47 PM
Teching In

I was talking to a former Whiteman troop.

This guy tells me if you don't score an 80 or better on the PT test, they will make you run like 5 days a week and will ride you like a dog.

Can any of you Whiteman guys confirm to this?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by djfeezy
Couldn't tell you about the deployments. CE dosen't go where the rest of the base goes i.e. "vacation resorts". We go to "the sandbox". I'm leaving soon for "the sandbox".
Actually I've been informed in my shop we do rotations in the sandbox as well.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:56 AM
Staging Lane

I was AGE at Whiteman, I do miss the shop.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

Last edited by Dex; 04-06-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by a612662
Hey guys not trying to be a "dick" but we should not mention the places we deploy to on an open forum such as this.
Yea because no one in the world knows where we deploy
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gmguy4life
I was AGE at Whiteman, I do miss the shop.
Which one did you work out of? The main side or muns?

Quick Reply: PCSing to Whiteman AFB, Missouri