Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking of Joining MARINES!! Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 12:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would tell my own son to join the marine corps......I wouldnt advise going any where else......Unless u dont beleive that u can put everything u are into it......If u want a lifestyle that u can be proud of till the day u die Marines is the way to go.....If u just want job security and dont think that is truely what u want (which is not a bad thing.....its not for everybody) then airforce is the way to go.....NOT ARMY but airforce......Army is ok (I got my problems with em but there doing a good thing too) but I wouldnt advice anyone going with them as an average grunt.....THey are way undertrained

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Only in the Marines will they give you a temporary demotion for calling a Sgt Maj, CSM.

That or telling your shirt that his idea is stupid...........

Infantry Marine buddy of mine is up for Lance Corp......... for the third time

Well, Army does that also.

DO your homework man and get everything in writing.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, I wouldn't trade my title for anything in the world. Some of the worst times of my life, some of the best, but all I can be proud of. I don't brag about being a Marine, but people notice I am different and when they do they ask if I was in the Army. As soon as most people here Marine I feel like their expectations have gone through the roof for me and most people have a great deal of respect for the fact I am a Marine. Like Stang-Slayer said, if you want to die proud, the Marines are probably the way to go.

And I hear being a forward observer is an awesome job, I knew a few myself when I was in.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

yea I loved my job....I would still be in if i didnt **** up my knee....What'd u do?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Marine till the day I die.... Follow you heart, if its something you want to do go for it, and dont forget how much you want it, it will help you get through recruit training! If you have any questions im willing to give my opinion. been in for 3yr 9 mo and already reenlisted about 2 months ago, wouldnt give it up for anything in the world.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

the air force is really easy. sometimes i wished i joined the corps like my bro.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:30 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Go Navy. Great tech training, easier to advance if you're on the ball. See more of the world. Where else can you see 8 countries in 7 months.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Launching!

like gotcam? said follow your heart its your life, live it as you want to! FWIW here is the video my AF recruiter showed me! i thought it was cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUnHTE9Ir0
Old 12-30-2007, 03:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stang-Slayer
yea I loved my job....I would still be in if i didnt **** up my knee....What'd u do?
Engineer. My neck put me out.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

QWICK ANSWER HERE - Stay civilian. Don't join the military. You'll be happier in the long run.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dochall22
QWICK ANSWER HERE - Stay civilian. Don't join the military. You'll be happier in the long run.
well, thats how i feel too, i guess!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dochall22
Yep and you won't have to do stupid **** that other people want you to do!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Packy
Yep and you won't have to do stupid **** that other people want you to do!

I joined to serve my country, " don't join you'll be happier overall" is BS. If you want to be a civillian and reap all the benefits of our brothers who lost thier lives, by all means have fun. I couldn't sit hear not helping. I owe it to everyone else that has sacrificed for my self, family etc. It is important to think about your decision in what career path you want to take. I'm in the Marines and love it. Yes the military is a tool to better yourself but also a tool to better our country.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stang-Slayer
Im a marine i got out april 30th.....I wouldnt loose my title as marine for anything in the world......definately the shittiest and ythe best times of my life....I wouldnt trade it for the world.....

If i was u I would talk to a recruiter.....Msg me if u have any questions or need any advice.....
I was a forward observer....My job was to call in Artillery fire, Naval gunfire, mortar fire and close air support in support of an advancing element..... I have a broad view of the Marine Corps as of all the combat jobs.....I dont know **** about the rear jobs though but i can always help u with anything u need....>..Just pm me man
you de is me adjust fire K?

fellow 0861 here as well.

Chad
Old 12-30-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

every service has its ups and downs, do your research and if you join dont look back, honestly I think everyone should serve our country one way or another, and not by bagging groceries...
Old 12-30-2007, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

If you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have said the navy. But now, they are starting to act more like the ****** AF. Lol. j/k

But really. when I came in the navy, it was actually the military, now its a 9 to 5 job. I have done some really awesome things, seen some amazing places, and have been in the **** hole of the world. All in a month. lol. But one thing for sure, I have never regreted a day of it. It's allways an experince. Everyday I come to work is another day closer to my retirement.....
Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2006vette
+1

Its like a normal job with all the military benefits. You'll only deploy for 120-180 days at a time unlike the Marines that go for 15 months. And.....you don't get shot at
Um, Marines do 7 month deployments. Army is 15 months. Get your facts right. And for the person asking for info. I'm an Active Duty Marine. IMO don't join the military PERIOD. If you value your family time and money, it wont be for you. I made $1900 a month at 18 years old. I'm now 21 and barely make $1540 a month being in the military. I've spent a total of MAYBE 2-3 months at home in 26 months of being in the Corps. To me, it's not worth it. Go to college, get an education, a degree, and remain a civilian. Like I said, it's not for everyone, it's not for me, that's why I'm getting out.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the advice. Decided it's not for me. I couldn't leave now and let my kid grow up without me. My respect goes out to our servicemen and women, but i'm too late in the game. Thanx everyone.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you really want to join then check out the AF. They have some of the best duty stations and deploy the least. Last time I looked it was something like 8.4% of the active air force has been deployed in the last 4 years. Unlike the army where its somewhere in the 60% range.

If you have a family it could be a great improvement in living. That amount of benefits you get could outway the negatives. BAH (basic allowance for housing) is GREAT. A lot of people in the military buy a house and then let the military pay for it. It varies by location so just check into that.

Also Tricare is getting MUCH better. I recently read that they are trying to pass into a law where you wont have to go see military doctors if you arent military (your wife and kids) which to me is a plus and that is coming from a medic.

Anyways dont say no until you talk to a recruiter. If you are smart you can get a good AF job that will make you a TON of cash on the outside if you decide to get out after 4 years.

I joined to serve. I knew I would deploy and would deploy with Army Infantry but I did it anyway. I couldnt sit back and reap the benefits of my lost brother and sisters anymore. I love this country and this is my way of "helping".
Old 12-31-2007, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Marines.

All branches have the same benefits. All branches do deployments. Marine deployments are usually 6-7 months then they like you to be home for twice what you were gone. I know there are alot of Marines here who are going to say bull**** but that is the new commandants guideline.

I joined 7 years ago. I have loved my time in and have had some crappy times too, but i wouldn't trade sleeping in the dessert in a rain storm for a/c and a pool anyday. Not that i don't like being treated good but i would rather have money for equipment, gear, parts and ammo then a/c units and pool's.

I also have a two year old little girl and a wife. It's really hard being away from them, but they know why i do it and support me. Your family will be taken care of. You will never meet better friends then you will in the military, goes for all branches.

My advice is talk to a recruiter with your wife and look at all 5 of the services. Any will be a good choice.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

I hope you change yoru mind and stay on the path of joining. I have 4 kids, yes I miss things, but over all the have a better life, great insurance, steady pay, and good pay. Its hard, its not for the weak of heart, and the pride goes across the board, i love that im airborne, 82nd. My grand father was 17th airborne, and a man like my grandfather was 5 star combat jumper.
Hope you go with yoru gut.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Joining MARINES!! Need advice.