Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Thinking of Joining MARINES!! Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of Joining MARINES!! Need advice.

So i'm 22 and work at a chevrolet dealership. I've always wanted to Join but have actually really thought about it more now. I have a family to think about now so I have a hard decision to make. What's this experience like? Is it worth it or no? Is my family going to be taken care of $$ wise? I'd appreciate the advice.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just like anything do your research for the job(s) you want to do. Def some good resources out there like military.com It is a good lifestyle, but it's not for everyone. You will be spending time away from your family, that's just part of the job. Nothing against the marines, it may be for you, but look into the other branches too. They all have something to offer. Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't emphasize this enough, if they guarantee you something, get it in writing. The Marines is def. not for everybody. Boot Camp when I went through it was mentally and physically demanding, you'll be degraded every step of the way until you graduate. Even then you can expect a few years in the fleet before you earn many peoples respect. A lot of people correlate rank with the quality of person you are unfortunately. Being at the bottom of the totem pole is no fun either. If you have good discipline and are a self starter, depending on your MOS you can move up quickly. Until you make corporal, which is E4, and in some units even sergeant (E5), you can expect little games from your seniors. You definitely have to have thick skin to do well.

Take the ASVAB, find out what jobs you are eligible for, and then research the ones you are interested in. Do not sign any contract until you are sure you are going in for what you want to go in for. Ask questions too, lots of jarheads here, myself included who can probably answer your questions.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Launching!

My advice...join the Air Force.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default Take it from the Army Guy

I have spent 7 years in the military, i have worked with all branches. Go Airforce. Thier deployments are shorter, 6-8 months long, more time for colledge, and better employment rate after they get out depending on jobs, which relate more to civilian life.
The army and marines (some jobs) are all front line, and to be honest the pay for the work sometimes doesnt cut it. Plus if you want to get out (like me) you find that there is little for a Combat Arms in the form of civilian style jobs that dont involve security jobs back over seas.
Over all pick something that you want to go for, dont sign anything then com eback here and ask about the MOS or what ever the other services list as there job, find out everything you can about it, basic, AIT, and first duty station there are alot of service memebers on here so use us, just liek the government does.

EDIT: Please dont bash me, I love my Mrine Brothers, and you guys have a hard job, sometimes I wouldnt want to do what you do, but sometimes I do it and more, 82nd Airborne, 13F, forward observer, attached to an Infantry Company, Red Headed step child of the Artillary/Infantry..... Just our line of "suck" isnt for everyone, and if i could do it over, AF would be my call, not for it being easier, but the over all benifits, deployments, where they are stationed when they are deployed have pools, and A/C indiviualed rooms, and its usually only 6-8 months, im on my 4th, suck as conditions everytime, and hafl the time no A/C now running water, or even hot water, no shade, just Suck so its my .02. I know there are some Dogs on there that will want my hed for this, but im just trying to warn him
Old 12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MEZA TA
So i'm 22 and work at a chevrolet dealership. I've always wanted to Join but have actually really thought about it more now. I have a family to think about now so I have a hard decision to make. What's this experience like? Is it worth it or no? Is my family going to be taken care of $$ wise? I'd appreciate the advice.
hey man it's obviously a big decision and it all depends on what you want. your family will be taken care of IF you are married. you would get extra money alotted for housing and food. your dependants will also be covered with full healthcare. and if you're living on your own, that will take away a lot of the BS you would normally have to deal with as a junior marine living at the barracks. get an MOS that will set you up for when you get out. if your married is your relationship strong enough to last through a deployment 7-12 months long? at age 22-23 will it bother you reporting to someone who is 20-21 years old? just a couple questions you need to ask yourself. if your looking to live comfortably and get the benefits for your family go air force. if you want to be challenged i think the marine corps is a great way to go. i wish you the best of luck in whatever choice you make.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Let me ask you this too, what do you want to get out of the military? Education afterwards? Civilian employment skills? What is it?

If you are thinking of attending college while in the Marines you can pretty much hang that up. I did for a very little while between deployments. They do have commissioning programs in all branches that will allow you to go to school full time and get paid @least E5 pay while doing so. If I am not mistaken the Marines MECEP program requires three years of active duty service with no bad marks (NJP, courts martial, etc), a minimal rank of corporal, and you must sale yourself to a board to get accepted to it. A friend from high school just did this and graduated from The Citadel this past Spring and he was a mortarman before.

Civilian career skills can be attained in the Marines. Welders, HVAC, electricians, heavy equipment operators, combat engineers ($$$ afterwards if you can get into a demo company of some sort, fun/rewarding/challenging job in the Marines too) are just a few examples.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Join the Marine Corps, all the other branches suck lol.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kjvail1204
I have spent 7 years in the military, i have worked with all branches. Go Airforce. Thier deployments are shorter, 6-8 months long, more time for colledge, and better employment rate after they get out depending on jobs, which relate more to civilian life.
The army and marines (some jobs) are all front line, and to be honest the pay for the work sometimes doesnt cut it. Plus if you want to get out (like me) you find that there is little for a Combat Arms in the form of civilian style jobs that dont involve security jobs back over seas.
Over all pick something that you want to go for, dont sign anything then com eback here and ask about the MOS or what ever the other services list as there job, find out everything you can about it, basic, AIT, and first duty station there are alot of service memebers on here so use us, just liek the government does.

EDIT: Please dont bash me, I love my Mrine Brothers, and you guys have a hard job, sometimes I wouldnt want to do what you do, but sometimes I do it and more, 82nd Airborne, 13F, forward observer, attached to an Infantry Company, Red Headed step child of the Artillary/Infantry..... Just our line of "suck" isnt for everyone, and if i could do it over, AF would be my call, not for it being easier, but the over all benifits, deployments, where they are stationed when they are deployed have pools, and A/C indiviualed rooms, and its usually only 6-8 months, im on my 4th, suck as conditions everytime, and hafl the time no A/C now running water, or even hot water, no shade, just Suck so its my .02. I know there are some Dogs on there that will want my hed for this, but im just trying to warn him
We all make the same amount of money, other than that all the branches have it better then us (the marines). And way less than half of the jobs in the Marines are front line, we are just trained to be able to if we are called to be there.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say it depends what you want out of the military, I joined for the education benefits and thats why I went into the coast guard, not really appreciated from other branches but I get paid the same and im not in the middle of a war. I go to work, then to school. do research, if I was going to do it again I would look further into the AF and probably woulda gone that route. As for promises, there is a certain page when you sign up that any bonuses, etc have to be written on to be legit. Dont remember which form it was but I do know that much. Hope this helps
Old 12-28-2007, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Things you need to consider before you enlist:
-MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) Find out what you might be good or what job you might want to get some experience in. BTW there are only two MOS's in the Marine Corps; Infantry and Infantry Support.
-Be prepared to be away from your family anywhere between 6 months to 18 months and thats just for Boot Camp and MOS training depending on what MOS you chose. Then there's the deployments.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Launching!

DAMN!! Much bigger decision than I thought. Thanks for all the info. As far as $$ is concerned, when do I start getting paid. and how much?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98LS-WON
My advice...join the Air Force.
+1

Its like a normal job with all the military benefits. You'll only deploy for 120-180 days at a time unlike the Marines that go for 15 months. And.....you don't get shot at

Don't get me wrong....I have great respect for my Marine brothers. Its just not for me....I'll stick with playing on ebay all day.

You'll get paid the day you leave for basic training.....not much but you'll get paid. You'll start making a decent amount of money when you make E-3. You'll have a place to live and have food on the table. When you hit E-5 / E-6 you will live very comfortable. E-5 took me just under 5 years to make and yearly I make about $40,000 will all my allowances. Pay will very a little bit from base to base though.

Last edited by 2006vette; 12-28-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:59 AM
Launching!

youll start getting paid the day you get to basic. and how much depends on your rank. go google and type in military pay chart. this should tell you. im in the usaf and i like it to a point. im not really a military man, but it gets the bills payed. if you want to go home at night (almost every night lol) with your family, go usaf. the usaf is one of the more chilled branches and we knowhow to have a good time. just do alot of research before you do enlist. remember every branch is going to alot of bull sh*t that comes along with the job!!! my $.02
Old 12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Paytable

Sign up if your heart is really into it. Do not enlist because of the security of a paycheck or benefits provided. Join because you believe in the concept to serve and defend and become a better citizen in the process. I know I sound like one of those recruiting videos. But I served 12 years in the Marines and when I decided to get out, people looked at me and said, "what, you got 8 more years and you get retirement money. You'll be kicking yourself when you turn 38!!!" I thought to myself reenlisting for a paycheck for when I retire is not a good reason to reenlist. But I thank the Marine Corps for giving me the necessary life skills to get a good paying job because it's true when people find out that you are/were a Marine. Your looked at differently. I just moved into a apartment today and when the landlord found out I was Prior Marine, she went off about how here husband was a Marine in the 70's and gave me my first month rent free. Good luck with your decision.

hammerdown2000, where'd you get that screamin' chicken?
Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

well as everyone else has said the military gets paid the same. look into the navy. we have the same 6 month deployments as the airforce does only the majority of the time they are on a set time schedule. obviously the schedule can change but thats part of the military. Look at the advancement (upward mobility) of different branchs before you choose one. The navy has advancement opportunitys twice a yr. Not completely sure about the others. we take a test based on our job. We guarantee your job in the contract before you sign it and we no longer have open contracts like the others do. I am getting ready to deploy for a 12month assignment to bahrain that I choose. At least we get say in where we go when it come's too orders. Just look at all your options to say the least. Dont just shut your options too just the marines when the other services might help you achieve your goals better.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

To interject on the Navy and their 6 month deployment; that may be for ship based crews, but medical/corpsman attached to Marine units and seabee's pull just as long of pumps as the Marines do.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Launching!

lol didn't mean to sound like i'm in it just for the money. I just wanna have peace of mind that while i'm away I can still support the family.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by import slayer
Join the Marine Corps, all the other branches suck lol.
Only in the Marines will they give you a temporary demotion for calling a Sgt Maj, CSM.

That or telling your shirt that his idea is stupid...........

Infantry Marine buddy of mine is up for Lance Corp......... for the third time

Well, Army does that also.

DO your homework man and get everything in writing.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

Im a marine i got out april 30th.....I wouldnt loose my title as marine for anything in the world......definately the shittiest and ythe best times of my life....I wouldnt trade it for the world.....

If i was u I would talk to a recruiter.....Msg me if u have any questions or need any advice.....
I was a forward observer....My job was to call in Artillery fire, Naval gunfire, mortar fire and close air support in support of an advancing element..... I have a broad view of the Marine Corps as of all the combat jobs.....I dont know **** about the rear jobs though but i can always help u with anything u need....>..Just pm me man

Quick Reply: Thinking of Joining MARINES!! Need advice.