Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Do you get nervous around Officers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dress alphas are the ****!!!except when its over 50 degres out side and you accually want to move around in them. i was at al asad for a tick and i thoguht it was a HUGE joke. im over at TQ on my deployments and no im no ground pounder but **** got scarry back in 05. im a marine and i still think that if im not out on the front lines or on a patrol then i am lower than the other marines that are out there. and bigt2002 if you thikn SgtMaj's are scarry you havnt seen a really really pissed off Gunny.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by krink85
dress alphas are the ****!!!except when its over 50 degres out side and you accually want to move around in them. i was at al asad for a tick and i thoguht it was a HUGE joke. im over at TQ on my deployments and no im no ground pounder but **** got scarry back in 05. im a marine and i still think that if im not out on the front lines or on a patrol then i am lower than the other marines that are out there. and bigt2002 if you thikn SgtMaj's are scarry you havnt seen a really really pissed off Gunny.
Oh I saw pissed off Gunny's but I just thought of Full Metal Jacket and laughed lol.

I was at TQ a bit too with AeroMed helos and it was a lil "rougher" than Al Asad was. But both were a joke compared to Anaconda/Balad. But BIAP made that even look like a joke one always outdoes the other it seems. Worst thing that happened while I was at AA was the helo crash at TQ and the confusion that set in....well that and AF1 coming down. Loved the Super Cobras flying by all the time though I just worked to try to rid some ppl of the stereotypes of the Air Force. One of my best friends from HS is a Sgt in the Marines (ATC) so I hung out with a bunch of them. It was a very positive deployment for me.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

that helo crash about 2-3 years ago in the lake??? if thats the crash my unit found that bird, too bad the piolt and the CC died but we were able to locate them so they could be put to rest peacefully. i was the CC on that flight but the pilot and the camera operator (UAVs) got the credit.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Hey I had a swimming pool at Al Asad and thats a Marine base
Touche`

but to that I will add what my wife said.."we also had drink cards where we got 2 beers a month, and we had Weekends off"
Old 01-12-2008, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

screw actin all nervous around officers, I could stand and talk to my Base CO all day long with no problem..
Old 01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

who cares what rank they are, they ussually dont give a **** either. theres always ****-smacks that think their **** dont stink, got in a bar fight with one of em, but show em the respect and theyll show it back, if they dont...screw em. Theres NO reason to be nervous around them what so ever. anyways we make fun of the low ranking ensigns and jg's on our boat so theyll get used to it.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Trunion King

I bullshit with my LTs and Capts sometimes Majors. LT col and up they turn to stiff boards and only laughs with the same rank or senior leadership.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:48 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by bene
I bullshit with my LTs and Capts sometimes Majors. LT col and up they turn to stiff boards and only laughs with the same rank or senior leadership.
Rank/service?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Rank/service?
SSGT/USAF
Old 01-12-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

i have to say though one of my oic's is REALLY big in customs and courtesy's. if you dont stand at parade rest while talking to her she will call you out! she is overweight and her uniform looks like ****, and she comes to my clinic to make sure we look good and have good attitudes....

p.s. i saw a captain buying a bottle of captain morgan the other day. dont know why but it made me laugh.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

i use to but when i went to Iraq that all changed

the only time i got nervous is when the generals VTC is not working and he walked up to talk to me and ask me what was wrong, I explained it to him in the most technical way I could. He said thanks and about 1 minute later I had it working

I have learn it it better to respect rank then fear rank. How this does not mean i have to respect the person....... I told that to chief once to his face....... he didn't like that to much

I'm the guy in my area that people will not let me talk to because i WILL tell them how it is and the way it's going to be.

them -"We need to do this and this"

me - "tell that impossible"

them "we can't just tell such and such that"

me - "what is their number?"

them - "ehh I'll figure it out"

I know officers are officers and rank is rank but i think a huge down fall of our armed forces is the high ranks have lost site of somethings, witch is fine but they refuse to lessen to lesser ranking people

I remember one time a few higher up was looking for a way to do something and they was standing in my shop talking, i had an idea and respectfully waited for my turn and gave them my idea they laughed at me....... 3 weeks later after 3 attempts had I reminded them again then i got put in charge but its cool because i love my job

my point is fearing rank can cost: money, time, resources and worst of all, Lives
Old 01-13-2008, 03:14 AM
TECH Veteran

not any more... Even around my commander, no.. I've been in for a while now so I have enough confidence to know what they want to hear, or know that they also put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us..

I have gone a little far w/ it recently.. I told off the NCOIC of my shop in front of my Section commander.. Neither did s**t.. THe 1LT had his jaw on the ground like he couldn't believe I was saying what I was.. .

LT's don't phase me one bit, but I give them the respect they deserve for the rank..
Old 01-13-2008, 05:30 AM
11 Second Club

lol thats funny you see it a lot people freezing up and ducking and dodging officers at luke. I bet the kid was in trs the training sq for f16 crew chiefs. officers dont phase me and i'm an a1c. Just extra polite, could be though that i call 0-6's and up all the time cause of my job
Old 01-13-2008, 06:41 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo V6 Camaro

I know officers are officers and rank is rank but i think a huge down fall of our armed forces is the high ranks have lost site of somethings, witch is fine but they refuse to lessen to lesser ranking people.
At least Officers can spell.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Urban Legend

haha true...although my LT is always asking me how to spell things. Today he asked me how to spell "suits." He argued with me that there was an 'e' after the 't'. I tried telling him that is only when you are playing cards. He was trying to spell 'flight suits.' I had to google search the word to prove it to him

Thank God for google...
Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
i don't really care........ I can't spell never could, same with names it take me about 3 days to learn a persons name.

they don't have spelling class's in college to my knowledge, yes i actually looked

besides this is a car forum for my hobby, not an EPR

on here i relax
Old 01-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StoleIt
My buddy was down at Luke AFB and I asked him to pick me up a pair of 2 Lt ranks for the ABU. He said that there was an A1C next to him picking up a set for his, and when he noticed him going for the Lt ranks he basically froze and then hurried away.

Is that normal? I commission in a couple months, and my buddy is a year behind me. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I definitely don't feel like people should act differently.

Thoughts?

And if anyone in the AF can get their hands on a pair of 32 short ABU pants I will buy them off you ASAP...I swear everywhere I look is out.
That A1C probably had a bad experience with junior officers (believe me when I say that there's a lot of pompous butter bars in the air force)...and there are a lot of boot 2nd Lts that are quick to pull rank/act the alpha male/whatever around junior enlisted. If you've been in for a while and know your stuff, and a 2nd Lt tries to pull something on you, it's quite a bit easier to handle, and you'll notice that most NCOs and Senior/Staff NCOs will act casually around officers compared to junior non-rates.
After you go to UPT and head to whatever training base you're going to (if you're flying, be it Luke, Tyndall, whatever), I'm going to be the first to tell you not to mess with A1Cs who know the jobs up and down: they'll likely know more about the area that you command (especially if you're flying, good chance they know a **** ton more than you about your jet) than you...but I digress.

The old adage that Officers are gentlemen (and usually nice guys), really tends to show when dealing with junior enlisted personnel. Act like a douchebag and people will scram when they see you. Act like a person and people will relax (just don't let them relax too much). That's all I got.

Last edited by Aezerafel; 01-13-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Turbo V6 Camaro
i don't really care........ I can't spell never could, same with names it take me about 3 days to learn a persons name.

they don't have spelling class's in college to my knowledge, yes i actually looked

besides this is a car forum for my hobby, not an EPR

on here i relax
Its all good man. I am just messing with you.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

yeah that huey crash was here at tq where i am now. i joined the unit after that crash though. sucks man all our pilots are cool as **** to us maintainers. really hate to lose one of them. and to answer the question no i dont get nervous at all around officers why should you?
Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I met a AF Butter bar last summer who must has sat on a bar stool the wrong way. Besides that all the officers I have ever met regardless of branch have been very nice to work with as long as you are not TO relaxed.

Show them respect and they will show it back.

There is a fighter helmet in my dads basement from when he was crewing A-7's and the pilot gave it to him in thanks for him taking care of the jet that he flew all those years. He has another one that I THINK a 16 driver gave him for the same reason.

Thats class right there......

I also have met a few junior officers that were very down to earth.

Quick Reply: Do you get nervous around Officers?