Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Do you get nervous around Officers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:09 PM
NKAWTG...N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do you get nervous around Officers?

My buddy was down at Luke AFB and I asked him to pick me up a pair of 2 Lt ranks for the ABU. He said that there was an A1C next to him picking up a set for his, and when he noticed him going for the Lt ranks he basically froze and then hurried away.

Is that normal? I commission in a couple months, and my buddy is a year behind me. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect. I definitely don't feel like people should act differently.

Thoughts?

And if anyone in the AF can get their hands on a pair of 32 short ABU pants I will buy them off you ASAP...I swear everywhere I look is out.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are no different than the rest of us.

No offense but I think it's funny when the butterbars get here and they only have two ribbons on their uniform. It just looks out of place to me
Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Teching In

butter bars arent real officers =)

I do not think an NCO would have reacted the same way as someone straight out of basic would have
Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have 32's up here at elmendorf. The 32R are a little darker style than the normal ABU's. I will check tomorrow if they have 32S. If anyone has seen a 42R shirt that is the darker style( the background color is grey instead of beige) let me know. This could work out well for all of us to start a little trade network.

Oh, and no I don't get nervous around damned O's
Old 01-09-2008, 01:45 AM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
They are no different than the rest of us.

No offense but I think it's funny when the butterbars get here and they only have two ribbons on their uniform. It just looks out of place to me
Yea the AF is real good about making sure we all look like MacArthur or Patton by the 2 year mark though. I honestly can't believe all the ribbons we get just for tieing our shoes correctly.

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
We have 32's up here at elmendorf. The 32R are a little darker style than the normal ABU's. I will check tomorrow if they have 32S. If anyone has seen a 42R shirt that is the darker style( the background color is grey instead of beige) let me know. This could work out well for all of us to start a little trade network.
I think I have the lighter pattern ABU. Pretty stupid that their are two floating around. Whats the story on that? Different manufacturers?
Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StoleIt
I think I have the lighter pattern ABU. Pretty stupid that their are two floating around. Whats the story on that? Different manufacturers?
Someone screwed the pooch

think they had to send a lot of ABU's back because there were too many with too many variations in shades
Old 01-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

lol, I love the military.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never got nervous around officers. Most of the time (less it was squadron commander), the officer was the same age as me!!!!

Since I didn't finish my degree in time, I went enlisted before. So by the time I was an NCO, most of the O3's were the same age. Yes, general military courtsey and respect was there. But he/she also respected BACK.

Remember, officers put on their pants the same way the enlisted do!!
Old 01-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Staging Lane

You Air Force guys make me laugh.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Check militaryclothing.com for the 32s.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

scared around O's????????HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAhAH! im not buddy buddy with them but they talk to me liek i am a normal guy and i talk to them like they are a normal guy, but with rank. i am just starting to see the 0-1s commign in that i am older than. they know nothign about the marine corps and its funny. i love when they snap to parade rest inform of SNCOs. its great

ps i love your sig i work on shadow in the corps, LONG LIVE THE FLYING LAWN MOWER. i am also form bloomington il. went to normal west
Old 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
9 Second Club

Being an NCO, to me an officer is just another person in the same uniform, I show respect but I don't get scared one bit being around them, since I am older than most of the ones here. I don't even get nervous around my squadron commander, he was prior enlisted so he is one of the funniest and coolest officers to be around.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the rank of the officer...as a Captain, I still get nervous around O-6s on up...even around some Lt Colonels.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Regular

honestly, it was probably just because they were boot. As a Marine, I really am not bothered by officers, nor do I care too much. If I am outside, I salute and carry on. They are men no different than me, and probably have less expierance than me. And as to a comment someone made before about too many ribbons for the airforce... the airforce is rediculous about that, but they do not have the market cornered on it... The army and the navy are nearly as bad. I remember seeing a girl that spent 4 years in the chairforce, the closest she got to a deployment was Qutar, and she had 9 or 10 ribbons. I spent 7 months in Falujah, have been in just over 4 years and only have 6. Sad. Does she really want to compare what she did in her career to mine? I don't think so. (but maybe she can spell better than I)
Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ribbon thing must be an enlisted thing...I get hardly any as an engineer/officer.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splitz
I never got nervous around officers. Most of the time (less it was squadron commander), the officer was the same age as me!!!!

Since I didn't finish my degree in time, I went enlisted before. So by the time I was an NCO, most of the O3's were the same age. Yes, general military courtsey and respect was there. But he/she also respected BACK.

Remember, officers put on their pants the same way the enlisted do!!

Exactly what I was going to say.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

haha thats funny. i work with a bunch of O4's and O5's. dont act any differently around them and im an a1c...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

At Moody we used to have AETC here but when the A-10's arrived that ended. We used to have butter bars here all the time. Some were pretty **** if you happen to miss a salute.

As far as being nervous I'm an NCO now and being exposed to them often I guess helped. Like a few of you guys said they put their pants on just like we do and I'm not about to think someone is better than me just because they were commissioned in.

As far as ribbons go... yeah the Air Force is kinda crazy with it... like with me I've been in 5 years now and I have 12 ribbons... but I also have 3 deployments under my belt and about to roll out on my fourth... I would expect to see another ribbon and a cluster when I get back.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:14 AM
TECH Regular

I talk to full-birds to 3-star every single day at work. A 2LT is like talking to an AB to me I will always show em respect but when we converse its more person-2-person instead of God-2-troops. I was nervous for the first couple times I saluted back in '03 but now...lol not so much.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
As far as ribbons go... yeah the Air Force is kinda crazy with it... like with me I've been in 5 years now and I have 12 ribbons... but I also have 3 deployments under my belt and about to roll out on my fourth... I would expect to see another ribbon and a cluster when I get back.
I've been in four and am on my 6th rack already. Have clusters on my OSUA, AFAM and will on my GWOT and OIF after this summer. Gotta love CENTAF

Quick Reply: Do you get nervous around Officers?