Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O yeah I read it good. LOL
Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All engine troops are the same except for prop guys--C-130's etc. You might work backshop on a fighter base or flightline on an airlift base.

The F-15's are flying again, and are expected to remain is service for quite a while.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

90TSiAWD: Go engines or avionics if you can. Engines is a dirty job, and avionics is a busy job, but both are worth good money in the civilian world.

What was your electrical score? If it was good, go Electrical and Environmental, very good job both in and out! I got 16 months left on my 6yr enlistment in AF as a 7lvl SSgt E/E troop and I just successfully applied/interviewed with GE Avionics (in the area I want to move back too) for a job in the ballpark of 60k/yr. Something to look into.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryanvv355
90TSiAWD: Go engines or avionics if you can. Engines is a dirty job, and avionics is a busy job, but both are worth good money in the civilian world.

What was your electrical score? If it was good, go Electrical and Environmental, very good job both in and out! I got 16 months left on my 6yr enlistment in AF as a 7lvl SSgt E/E troop and I just successfully applied/interviewed with GE Avionics (in the area I want to move back too) for a job in the ballpark of 60k/yr. Something to look into.
I agree with this comment.

I was backshop avionics for the F-15, yes, we were busy, but it was considered a "regular" job. That being said, we had 7-4 Monday-Friday hours if you were on day shift, swing shift was 3 to 12, and midnight shift was 11 to 7. Hours that you could count on. I can only count on one hand how many times we deviated from those hours.

IF you can get the dayshift hours, most of the time, you can take classes in the evening.

If you pick a flightline job or a job that has "irregualr" hours, college might be more difficult to complete. I got my Bachelors of Science degree in 2 years after I enlisted and started full time (after 5 level upgrade of course).

Now that I'm out, and it took 2 years, however, with my current job, I am making $60k, and with my living style and paying $600/month child support and paying for my own mortgage...it's not a bad living environment.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

My electrical aptitude was 81 and my mech was 87....is that good enough to get me into avionics?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Im an aircraft structures guy in the civilian world on 737-300's and can tell you that if you want to do engines as a civilian more then likley it will be at a repair station (huge back shop really) or at an airline (even then most of them send their engines to repair stations).

At my place the aircraft mechanics do the engine work when it needs done and its just filter changers, igniters (spark plugs), and pulling the fan blades. Thats it, nobody is just engines but again SOME places do have dedicated engine guys.

Our Avionics guys are busy but not swamped, some places those guys are busier then others.

If it was me I would go Crew Chief, they do a little bit of everything and its pretty easy to get your civilian airframe and powerplant liscense threw the AF, you re-enlist for so many years after your first enlistment and sign up for it and they put you threw as much on the job training you can get for you to have enough hours to test or be really close to testing for both. If you are just a powerplant guy then you will only be able to get the powerplant liscence. This will really help with getting a job in the civilian world. At my place its another .50 an hour for a junior mechanic and for experts its like another $2.00 but you have to be on heavy airliners for a while to get that.

Keep this in mind, if you do something like crew chief and do fighters most civilian places will not accept that as work experiance but will for cargo aircraft.
Same I am sure goes for engines. Most places will take a guy with big engine time over fighter time since they are two different engines.

If you like fabricating and making things out of metal look into aircraft structures. I love it. Lots of money in the civilian world with it as a contractor. Most places pay $28+ an hour plus perdium (sp?). I Know of a job in Japan paying $50 an hour plus $400 a day. The regular mechanics get far less money pretty much all over but its about what you like, not the money. I think our guys get low to mid $20 range with a few years under them in the civilian world but thats on the low end for most places.

But if you are wanting to fly then remmber that airlines take people that were cargo/tanker plitos before they take fighter guys.

I know there is a good site online for millitary jobs but can't remember what it is. Try searching on yahoo or something.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 01-13-2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wish I had picked something other than Egress, have no marketability really after I seperate. Probably going to go guard and hold out for tech spot or AGR... Good luck though TSI, stay dedicated and work towards it and you can definitely make it happen.

usmilitary.about.com is good for looking up AFSC's.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Teching In

If you want to be a pilot, I would say go ROTC. Getting a degree while still working is going to be real difficult. But can be done with alot of determination. But you cant even start college until after basic, tech school, then you have to wait any where from 2-8 months, maybe longer to get your 5 Lvl.

But if you really want to join now I would pick a job that if you seperated you could do and get paid well on the outside. Something like ATC...Air Traffic Controller.

But good luck and have fun with whatever you do.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slowmc

But if you really want to join now I would pick a job that if you seperated you could do and get paid well on the outside. Something like ATC...Air Traffic Controller.
This is a common misconception. I crosstrained from avionics to ATC, thinking i'd do my second enlistment and get out and go FAA and make 6 figures a year. Well now that im in ATC that is not the case. Everyone i know that's gotten out and went FAA absolutely hates it and they only get paid about 35k for the first few years.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Teching In

ATC wouldn't be a bad job if you want to go pilot eventually. You'd have the comms down pretty well. Other enlisted aviation jobs can be good for that as well, particularly Boom Operator. Boom Operator also allows you to travel with pilots, who can offer you all manner of advice on becoming an officer.

Since you've already enlisted and for a full 6 years, this means you can't switch to an officer program until you've served 3 years at your first duty station. If you can get your enlistment changed to 4, you'd only have to spend 1 year at your first duty station.

Once you get to your first duty station, head to the education office. There are a number of programs available for transferring into a commission. One sends you into the Academy, another into a program similar to ROTC, and there's also OTS if you manage to finish a degree before you finish your enlistment.

Go to the base library and check out a copy of the AFOQT test and practice the questions regularly. Try to find multiple editions of the practice tests to get as diverse a method as possible. Learn about the BOT test, but unfortunately that isn't something there's a book on.

Do well with your chain, you'll need their endorsement to get into a commissioning program.

Couple more things...

Get private flying hours and a full license if you can. It is worth your while to pay for these, as every 5 or so hours boosts your chances of getting into a pilot program.

And while you have to wait 3 years at your first duty station (for a 6 year enlistment) before entering a commissioning program, this doesn't mean that you have to wait 3 years before you start the process. Start about 1 year into your enlistment. You'll need 2 years for your medical appointments, interviews and security clearances.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember one thing once you get your bachelors degree squared away and have a package ready for OTS, it is NOT guarantee that you will be pick for it. It means that you are not the only one that is competing for that slot, this is AF wide.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 90TSiAWD
Haha, hekk no! I was smarter than that the four jobs I choose at MEPS were Tactical Aircraft Maitnence, Propulison Systems, F-15 Avionics, F-16 Avionvics but they ended up putting me just in the mechanical aptitude field or whatever so I guess I get to pick any job in the Mech. field when I go to basic. I had an 87 Mech aptitude is that good?

Is there any certain one the would have been better to choose?

If you are thinking about going to school.....you need to pick 4 new jobs. Go into medical or admin. If you end up on the flightline, you work off shifts and will be deployed.

There are lots of guys that go to school working the line but it can be a pain in the ***.

Another thing....about picking your job in Basic. It's not exactly how it sounds. You will select a bunch (I forget the exact number) of jobs and th AF will put you where they need bodies. It's not like they come to you with a list of 5 and you pick which one you want.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adam1803
This is a common misconception. I crosstrained from avionics to ATC, thinking i'd do my second enlistment and get out and go FAA and make 6 figures a year. Well now that im in ATC that is not the case. Everyone i know that's gotten out and went FAA absolutely hates it and they only get paid about 35k for the first few years.
Depends on the airport and how big (busy) it is. JFK, LAX, ATLANTA, Chicago, ect ect pay a lot more.

Here in Indy we have an ATC building that controls ATC for most of the midwest. I am sure they do pretty well.

I know a guy that retired civilian ATC and loved it.

Like most jobs in the civilian world you will not start out at the top of the pay scale.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
Depends on the airport and how big (busy) it is. JFK, LAX, ATLANTA, Chicago, ect ect pay a lot more.

Here in Indy we have an ATC building that controls ATC for most of the midwest. I am sure they do pretty well.

I know a guy that retired civilian ATC and loved it.

Like most jobs in the civilian world you will not start out at the top of the pay scale.

Of course its like anything else that the pay goes up with time. I know people working in Houston center, Boston center, and Indy center. As an example, the one in Boston works thurs-mon, different hours every day, and is looking at that schedule for the next 4-8 years. I work with civilians that used to be center controllers, and now they all have DOD jobs for various reasons, but definetly nothing to do with ability.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
The F-15's may not be around much longer I think, pretty sure 4XX of them are still grounded and might be scraped.
Backshop avionics is still here!!! not much longer though! maybe 10 more years.

The worst thing about F-15 backshop avionics is the limited bases... you can only go to 6 bases right now... the list will only continue to get smaller!

And as splitz said, yeah its a really good job. you can take classes, but its hard to take more than 2 at a time. Really hard... I do 1 class and several CLEPS/DANTES a term. I could do 2-3 classes, but i have a 45 minute commute to work and a wife and baby.. so im at my limit until im out.

Also, remember your not the only one whom wants to fly... its a tough program to get into...

-justin
Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Backshop avionics is still here!!! not much longer though! maybe 10 more years.

The worst thing about F-15 backshop avionics is the limited bases... you can only go to 6 bases right now... the list will only continue to get smaller!

And as splitz said, yeah its a really good job. you can take classes, but its hard to take more than 2 at a time. Really hard... I do 1 class and several CLEPS/DANTES a term. I could do 2-3 classes, but i have a 45 minute commute to work and a wife and baby.. so im at my limit until im out.

Also, remember your not the only one whom wants to fly... its a tough program to get into...

-justin
ohhhh....come on now!!

When I was at Lakenheath, I took TWO classes during the week in class AND one online! And that was working 2A071A! That's one way to knock it out. Espeically being at Embry-Riddle, you can knock 3 classes out every 9 weeks.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
12 Second Club

Over 4 years Active Duty Air Force here. I am a 3P051..Security Forces...cop. HATERS! lol.

I have been stationed at F.E. Warren AFB in Cheyenne, Wyoming. My basic was 6 1/2 weeks, and my tech school was about 5 months. I didnt get my 5-level until I was almost a SrA which was over 2 years after I graduated tech school. 95% of bases WILL NOT let you take college until you have completed your 5-level. They also wont let you get a second job or take leave until its done...for the most part. Your tech schools will be longer than mine was due to the fact that they are more demanding career fields. It took me nearly 3 years. It will take you longer and there is half of your enlistment gone.

My suggestion is DO NOT enlist. It takes up too much time. Get a scholarship or bust you *** and go to an ROTC program anywhere that has AFROTC. You do 4 years of AFROTC and you will have a commission as a Lieutenant as soon as you graduate. Not only that but ROTC programs have deals set up with flight schools and such and they have a better chance of actually getting you a slot in the schools. People forget to tell you that if you want to be a pilot you have to work hard to get noticed, then there has to be an open slot. If you take too long to get a commission then age will effect their decision to give you that slot. They would much rather have a 22 year old college grad than a 28 year old.

Get a scholarship or whatever you have to do, and go to college ROTC first. and remember....that DEP agreement you signed IS NOT...I repeat...IS NOT a binding contract. I did DEP for a full year before I joined and I could have left if I wanted to. Recruiters will say a lot of **** to get you to join so be careful.

Now...IF you DO decide to go enlisted....do me a favor. sign for 4 not 6. Remember, this life is completely different from JROTC, or civilian life and chances are you wont like it. If things fall through for you and you dont like it, or they screw you, or somehting doesnt work out, you only have 4 years to deal with it instead of 6. YOU CAN ALWAYS RE-ENLIST!!! ALWAYS!!! So do 4...if you like it re-enlist...if not, save yourself the misery. TRUST ME. I have seen a lot of friends break down and lose it because they didnt like it at all and had 6 years to go. Why go through the misery if you dont have to. but like I said...if you like it you can re-enlist with no problem and it wont effect anything. Plus if you sign for 6 instead of 4, that is 2 more years taken away from time you COULD be putting into that Officer School or ROTC. That just puts you that much closer to your Max Age for flight school.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Hey all you Electronics/Avionics guys; Gold Flag/AFREP right here!

TSi: Agreed with above post, go for 4yr enlistment. I dont think you actually commit to a contract length until leaving from MEPS, am I correct? Anyways, the extra stripe and little more money looks good, but 6 years is a long time. One of my high school buddies just joined the AF last year about this time, I talked him in to going for 4 instead of the 6 he was determined to do, he tells me thanks for doing that everytime I talk to him. Please consider 4yr.

Last edited by ryanvv355; 01-14-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Splitz
ohhhh....come on now!!

When I was at Lakenheath, I took TWO classes during the week in class AND one online! And that was working 2A071A! That's one way to knock it out. Espeically being at Embry-Riddle, you can knock 3 classes out every 9 weeks.
Blah! Way too much for me! (Not really) Alot of it is class timing. I work swings now, so that pretty much leaves me with weekend classes and online school. I live REALLY REALLY far from base (in Kings Lynn) and child care is literally impossible to get on base (been on the list for 6 months now)

I could always just dump the wife and kid tho

joke BTW

-justin
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ORedRoc4
Blah! Way too much for me! (Not really) Alot of it is class timing. I work swings now, so that pretty much leaves me with weekend classes and online school. I live REALLY REALLY far from base (in Kings Lynn) and child care is literally impossible to get on base (been on the list for 6 months now)

I could always just dump the wife and kid tho

joke BTW

-justin
bwahahahaha....tell Dyb that I said go back to day shift so you can goto school!

Better yet, move closer to base! What the hell you doing livin' all the way out there anyway?

Quick Reply: Joined the USAF have some questions.