Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joined the USAF have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is a big desicion I know I want to do something with figher jets, I dont really think I would mind that much getting deployed well atleast right now, but things change.

What about working on the engines will I have to be deployed for that?

And a question for the Avionics guys, How hard is the math involved?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 90TSiAWD
Wow, this is a big desicion I know I want to do something with figher jets, I dont really think I would mind that much getting deployed well atleast right now, but things change.

Wow...ummm.....2+2 = 4 right?

Very little math involved. Basically, you hook the avionics box upto a automatic test equipment and start the test.....it tells you what to replace (not always good tho, horrible test software). AFter you replace said component, you test again......until it passes the test.

That's basically it! Fun job tho!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds good, I looked on that military about site and it said I should take physics or sumthin....haha.

Another question in the Avionics field would I get to directly work on the figthers?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds good, I looked on that military about site and it said I should take physics or sumthin....haha.

Another question in the Avionics field would I get to directly work on the figthers?

That depends on what job you choose. Right now, in the F-15 world, the avionics is split. One if for flightline maintenance (2A353A, B, or C, which denotes what particular system) and the backshop (2A051A).

The flightline maintenance is extremely fast paced and be prepared to work longer hours. Also, you are ALWAYS outside, no matter if it's raining, snowing, hot, cold etc etc.

The backshop is more "laid-back" but a better manned careerfield. Easier to get to school because it's just a regualr job. The BEST part? Your not outside, you are always inside in temperature regulated environment, even if it's like 120 out.

You can probably tell what my old job used to be?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm...deployment on flight line Avionics? About how long is the AF deployment?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm...deployment on flight line Avionics? About how long is the AF deployment?
Not sure about that, I'm sure there is somebody here that is either currently deployed flightline avionics or even recently return.

When I was deployed as backshop avionics, it was a 120 day rotation to Al Uedid AB in Qatar. Nothing like Air Conditioned workspace!

Maybe somebody that's an F16/F22 or other might chime in.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last deployment I went on was 4 months, AF is supposedly going to 6 months, however, I have not seen/heard anything that indicates the change is happening soon. Most AIS and EW backshoppers I know don't deploy in the F-16 world. Flightline guys do though. I got a kick out of you saying you want to work fighters, your opinion will change quick once you get to wrenchin'. I did F-16's for 4 years, FL and BS, when Cannon went AFSOC, it was one of the best things thats ever happened to me in my AF career.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

My deployments are 6 months with the possibility of longer. I'm about to go on an ILO taskng. I don't work flightline though. I'm in CE.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is AFSOC?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

I am Security Forces and I deployed for a full year to Baghdad. We were an all SF unit working with the ARMY though and we were ALL volunteers! But things ARe starting to change...keep an eye out for it.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

What is AFSOC?
Air Force Special Operations Command
Old 01-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jay_99z

Another thing....about picking your job in Basic. It's not exactly how it sounds. You will select a bunch (I forget the exact number) of jobs and th AF will put you where they need bodies. It's not like they come to you with a list of 5 and you pick which one you want.
Dont know who told you this but before I signed anything I had a contract that said Heavy Acft Maintainer. THATS IT. They tell you that you have to pick 3-4 jobs but they are full of it. If the only reason you are joining is to go to school then be a pilot, then id heavily suggest to go into some cake office job, like medical or finance or something. Acft maintainers get deployed all the time. Also do not go in "maintenance general", if you do you will be working on vehicles.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:45 AM
Teching In

If you're already tagged Mechanical go into non destructive inspection. They generally don't get slammed so you will have plenty of time for studying. I was looking into becoming a pilot once and I was told that you pretty much can't lose with any type of engineering degree. And it definitely has to be a "science" degree.

If you want to stay enlisted a cool maintenance field is structural maintenance. That's what I do and I love it. It's not easy to study though because my shop stays pretty busy but I've also heard of bases that don't ever get busy so if you get stationed somewhere slow you can still study.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 AM
Launching!

If your going to be in the military, get it in your mind your going to deploy no matter what.... Ive been in about 3 1/2 years now. I deploy in this may for 4 months to "The Deid" in Qatar. wont see anyhting crazy and as splitz said, nothing beats Air Conditioned work space.

Originally Posted by Splitz
bwahahahaha....tell Dyb that I said go back to day shift so you can goto school!

Better yet, move closer to base! What the hell you doing livin' all the way out there anyway?
ahhh, the D-Y-B... he is a good guy IMO. I can be dayshift, i have the option, just no child care on base. Right now were doing hourly childcare off base.... for 4 hours a week its about $60!

And if you saw thew house im in, you'd never believe a SrA lived in it. 2500 Sq/F and a huge 2 car garage...

-justin
Old 01-15-2008, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot about NDI, good choice also
Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude You dont need to go in even on DEP. I would not even bother with the enlisted side of the house. Sometimes transitioning aint as easy as you think especially if you end up with a bogus degree. Go to school then get into a ROTC program or whatever but dont do the enlisted side. In 11 years I have only seen a handful that made it to officer side 1 made it to be a pilot then he couldnt do fighters for whatever reason and went heavy. Then resently they got rid of a bunch of officers and 1 of my friends that worked his *** off got the boot.
This is a big step man. The 6 years of being enlisted means BMT, CDC's, 5lvl upgrade, TDY's if you think you can juggle school with all that other **** then ts all you. Its better for someone to tell yo how shitty it can be then to have it blindside you.

Im a Crew Chief on RC-135's
Old 01-15-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I'm already enlisted, so theres no changing that.

I'm going to be in the Mech. Field thats what my contract said so throw some good jobs in the Mech. Field out there.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you already done with Basic? WHy dont you have a job by now? You should have done some kind of computer job or avionics type ****.

Im a crew chief and I used to ( im currently in a shitty sq ) go TDY all the time. I was always on the road. Good luck with whatever choice you make. I would suggest that if you are going officer to do it after you get a degree. Otherwise its gonna be what you said ,"Well I'm already enlisted".
Old 01-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Way I understand it is that he is in the DEP. I dont think he would be at basic waiting on a job and be on LS1Tech.

You can get out of the DEP anytime you want. Your not enlisted yet. You will sign papers once you go back to MEPS when you are leaving for basic and thats when there is no turning back.

And I agree with Hawaii, its hard to go from enlisted to comissioned and then hard to then fly. Go ROTC and your chances will be much greater.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, I havent went yet.... I leave June 17th and im trying to get an idea of what job I should get....like I said my contract said im gnna be in the mech. field and I have to pick out of several jobs when im in basic.

BTW I got a 70 Overall, 87 Mech. Aptitude and 81 Elec. Aptitude

Quick Reply: Joined the USAF have some questions.