Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Going into airforce, have job ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Going into airforce, have job ?'s

I am leaving sometime in the spring and I know all about basic, read all that, but I have 3 jobs I am looking at. 1 weather 2 EOD 3 Computer Satelite
I need to pick one by friday. Any suggestions. I DO NOT want to be a cop or firefighter and my hearing restricts me from any aircrew jobs. Also, can I take my camaro to tech school with me or not. By the way I am 27 with a wife and child wanting to learn more and serve my country. I have alot of family and friends that have been in the military, mainly USAF and USMC. Thanks
Steve
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You cannot take your Camaro with you. You get on the bus to Lackland from your MEPS station so you cant just drive there. I had alot of fun with EOD chicks, lol. EOD, SERE, CCT, PJs are all trained at the annex base of Lackland so its right near basic training which was cool. You get to go do as you please sometimes and see all of the newbs in basic and they are scared of you...goodtimes. Anyways I would pick the one most interests you...and has a good sign on bonus
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh you said camaro to tech school, yes you can. And if your tech school is in Wichita Falls there is a good crowd of f-body owners there, locals.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:45 AM
TECH Veteran

You can get your car a tech school, but you have to wait till the second phase to drive it.. From what I remember..

EOD deploys a lot.. I'm CE and we're not on AEF Rotations any more, we're enablers. So they grab us when they need us for god knows how long.. If you go into EOD, I hope you don't mind leaving every 10 months.. Good job tho, lots of toys, and a BIG budget!

Is that Computer Satellite a COMM slot? I'd love to go into something like that. A bit more secure than CE. -As far as deployment safety.

Weather would be cool. Work in the tower or Base ops?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Launching!

What is CE, dont mean to be stupid, lol, I am just getting used to the terminology. Weather, it is decided where your at in level from what I have read, I would like base ops plus I am a weather freak, I always have the weather channel on. EOD, I would not mind deploying and playing with fun toys plus I saw you get hazardous pay for that and that is money I can save that is out of the budget. EOD interests me because of the thought process of having to work with explosives and actually get to blow them up. I don't know if Computer Satelite control is a COMM slot., but I am good with computers and electronics but I scored a 94 in mechanical and I can't really use it because of my hearing.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

None of the Jobs you are looking at are available at Sheppard. EOD is one LONG school. My roommate in tech school (1993) was an EOD washout, and did about 8 months of school before he washed out. That was a long time ago, they may have shortened the coarse some, but it was in 3 different locations. This will be hard on a family.

On the tech school side....I am an MTL(Military Training Leader) read as "babysitter" at sheppard. If you want to know about Phase rules and what you can/cannot do, let me know, its my job

You can have your car, when you hit phase 2 15th day of training. You can at some locations depending on your commander move off base as a "separate rations" airman, and live with your family when you hit Phase 3 (35th day of training). All of this of coarse depends on if you stay out of trouble and dont get phased back. It really is a bullshit setup, but a nessesary evil!

If you have questions, just hit me up.....

Jack
Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Tech school for EOD is 136 days according to military.com at egl. in florida, plus 6 days at lackland. If I choose to go into weather, it is a 1 year 3 month tech school, I would then beable to locate my family, correct? Now after Basic, do you go homw for a 3 to 5 day period or go straight to tech. Just wondering how I am going to get my car there, that is all.
thanks
steve
by the way, I dont have a problem staying out of trouble, I don't drink and don't mouth off to people, I respect people as long as they respect me back.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That Monday after you've graduated from Basic, you'll be shipped off to your tech school. Depending on which AFSC you choose, you'd probably be better off leaving your car at home because of your tech school being in so many different locations. Where is your weather tech school at?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Launching!

kessler
Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by insanez
Tech school for EOD is 136 days according to military.com at egl. in florida, plus 6 days at lackland. If I choose to go into weather, it is a 1 year 3 month tech school, I would then beable to locate my family, correct? Now after Basic, do you go homw for a 3 to 5 day period or go straight to tech. Just wondering how I am going to get my car there, that is all.
thanks
steve
by the way, I dont have a problem staying out of trouble, I don't drink and don't mouth off to people, I respect people as long as they respect me back.
WOW, EOD got really short!

You may think you dont have a problem because you dont drink or dont mouth off, but this is not the civilian world. I see people day in and day out that dont have a problem in the civilian sector, but cant seem to cut it in the military environment. I am by no means saying that you dont fit the bill, please dont get me wrong. You are older, and understand that you have more to loose than these young kids. I prefer the older airmen, as they tend to have a clue about life.

Jack
Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 AM
Launching!

I understand what you are saying, I am older, but I don't know about wiser, lol. No I am pretty flexible and free flowing in life, so hopefully it will help in the military, plus I LOVE the civilian way of being rude, not caring, and being a complete a-hole all the time. I can't wait to leave it.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw all that!! if i could do it all over again i would seriously do something in medical!! im a cop, and yeah it sucks but the job is too easy. for reals man, do something in the medical. good hours, and the deployments are short. i believe only 4 month rotations and im sure they are taken care of. go medical, youll regret it if u dont.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:15 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by babydeuce
WOW, EOD got really short!

Jack
It is 40 weeks from what I can tell. Unless that is what you mean by short
Old 01-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Teching In

If your tech school is over 20 weeks it is considered your duty base, then your family can move to that base and you will get BAH or base housing. But you have to wait til your either phase 2 or 3 to move in with them, until then you would stay in the dorms...which would be about a month. Weather would be an awesome job. And so would EOD. Both really tough tech schools tho. I knew an EOD washout... but he said it was great.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

What is CE, dont mean to be stupid, lol, I am just getting used to the terminology.
CE = Civil Engineering. It's a squadron that has several AFSC's in it. EOD, Fire Protection, Readiness, HVAC/R, Electrical, Structrial, Heavy Equipment, Utilities, Power Production, Engineering Assistants.....etc.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I do not know your exact situation but if you have a wife and kid you might want to go for a job that is not deployed as often and has less chance of you playing with explosives.

Do you plan on making a career of it or just going to put in 4 years of service? If you plan on doing a short enlistment then you might want to pick a job that will do well on the outside.

Your family should probably be the biggest part in your job picking process because there is a lot of people who end up divorced because they are never home.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I DO NOT want to be a cop or firefighter
Steve
Firefighting isn't for you if you have a family which is probably why you don't want the job

FWIW: I'm a Fire Dawg
Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slowmc
If your tech school is over 20 weeks it is considered your duty base, then your family can move to that base and you will get BAH or base housing. But you have to wait til your either phase 2 or 3 to move in with them, until then you would stay in the dorms...which would be about a month. Weather would be an awesome job. And so would EOD. Both really tough tech schools tho. I knew an EOD washout... but he said it was great.
Not 100% true. You must be phase 3, and it is at the commanders discretion. Right now, 1 of my 3 squadrons does not allow airmen in training to become sep rats, and their school is 24 weeks. DO NOT move your family to your training site until you are absolutely sure that your commander will allow it! Also, if you do move them, it would be on your dime, you will not get reimbursed for moving your family to tech training.

Jack
Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Firefighting isn't for you if you have a family which is probably why you don't want the job
Actually, I don't want to be a firefighter because my father was one and so was my uncle at the same station, and both said they loved it until they both got trapped in a huge fire once and almost died so i promised them I would not go into firefighting for them.

Roy, EOD is only 20 weeks at tech school, the rest of you training is after your assigned to a base and you train with the team there.

pengu, I plan on making this a career, atleast make the 20 year mark. All my friends and relatives that are in the military, love it and said once you get in, don't leave because it is hard to find a job most of the time and you leave with nothing, no benefits or a place to live. Plus the only thing I know how to do is CNC Machine, I have a 2 year IT certification in it and almost to my journyman's certification, I don't even care about getting that now because I hate it and I am miserable staring at brick walls and listening to the machines hum all 10 hours and working with a bunch of 2 year olds that don't like to work and complain about me all day because I work to hard and make them look bad. I just want my day to go by fast, and they always sit there complaining about how long their days are. I want to work with a team that has to work together and people are not back-stabbing idiots that are nice to your face but try to find anything wrong with your parts to go and b**** about it for no reason. I just want to these people.
As you can see I can't wait to leave.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 AM
Launching!

OH yeah, baby duece, how would you get your car there. If you leave for tech asap after basic, how does this happen. Because I think I am going to do weather or computer satelites and both tech schools are long as hell and I don't want to be without a car that long.

Quick Reply: Going into airforce, have job ?'s