Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Signing my life away tomorrow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babydeuce
IOver the life span of the enlistment, he will make $8217.80 more than the other guy. No matter what, he makes more money!!!
Over a 6 year period, that comes out to about 25 bucks per week.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

making staff the first time doesn't require a "fluke of God." lol i know PLENTY of people who make it their first time. just depends on how much time u put into studying and when u actually sow on. granted, the earlier u make Staff, the longer u wait before u put it on. however, u can at least know that u passed the test by ur 36mo mark. its possible - just may be hard to get due to sow-on dates.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

seems like most who put sra on btz do not pin staff on the first time. Pinning staff on first time depends a lot on your job and mainly how much effort you put into studying. I say job plays a role cause of the number of cdc's you have to go back through
Old 02-15-2008, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Join the Army and do infantry! You will se most action and get promoted fast! I got pinned my E5 in 2 1/2 years I enlisted as an E-1 I only did three years. I said I would re up so I got the promotion but an IED decided otherwise so now im sitting at home collection Disability for the rest of my life...

Dont listen to everyone talking about rank or money! That is not why you join the military its for your country(Even the ones who do not support what you do!)for the people within it and the people of IRaq, It's about doing what is right. If I were you I would go with your gut feeling and do what YOU feel is good. But remember rule of thumb! You can always add years but you cannot take away.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

enlist for 4, cause u might just get a bonus for re enlisting, and even if you go for 6 chances are your gonna put on e4 a couple months before everybody else, just cause you test and make it doesnt mena you get to put it on right after, IMO its not worth the money, but then again iam single and dont have a kid, plus if you get an easy jpb you will have time to finish up a degree and it will all be paid for
Old 02-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Launching!

Yeah, USMC here, signed for 5, biggest mistake of my life... Didn't tell me I could have signed for 2. Woulda been out long time ago.... Don't sign for 6, you can sign for 3 for sure in the AF, not sure about 2, but i know 2 is open contract, meaning they can give you whatever MOS they want to.... just dont go in, im SURE there ARE a LOT of jobs out in the civilian world that pay WAYYYYY better than military pay...
Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
making staff the first time doesn't require a "fluke of God." lol i know PLENTY of people who make it their first time. just depends on how much time u put into studying and when u actually sow on. granted, the earlier u make Staff, the longer u wait before u put it on. however, u can at least know that u passed the test by ur 36mo mark. its possible - just may be hard to get due to sow-on dates.
making it with less than 36 months TIS? im just saying its not something most people do.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Congratulations! 2E2 is a good career field also. If you do get out after 4, you'll be very marketable.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackhawk_02
Yeah, USMC here, signed for 5, biggest mistake of my life... Didn't tell me I could have signed for 2. Woulda been out long time ago.... Don't sign for 6, you can sign for 3 for sure in the AF, not sure about 2, but i know 2 is open contract, meaning they can give you whatever MOS they want to.... just dont go in, im SURE there ARE a LOT of jobs out in the civilian world that pay WAYYYYY better than military pay...
air force has only 2,4,6, and sometimes 8 year contracts 2 and 8 are hard to get but very possible and jw wtf is 2E2??
Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester177
making it with less than 36 months TIS? im just saying its not something most people do.
I went to BMT August 16th 2004, and found out August 15th 2007 that I made E5, less than 36 months, by a day Will have it on with less than 48 months TIS, at the latest. Based on my line # I may squeak in in July but no later than Aug 1, so less than 4 years, I was pretty happy
Old 02-15-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black_dragon_93
air force has only 2,4,6, and sometimes 8 year contracts 2 and 8 are hard to get but very possible and jw wtf is 2E2??
2E2 is a general Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC). In the Army and Marines they call it a MOS, or Military Occupational Specialty. Both terms are acronyms for specific career fields. The 2E2 career field is Network Infrastructure Systems. See this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Specialty_Code
Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

yea i knwo all abotu afsc just wondering what the rest of the code was as in 2E2xx??

what exact job is he going for
Old 02-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Launching!

My full code is 2E231 or marked as 2E2X1. According to my recruiter, the 3 comes into play when I am fully trained, but he was not 100% sure. I appreciate all of your comments, good or bad. I personally want to retire fom the military. I have two close relatives that retired from the military, both enlisted, one E-8 from the army and one E-9 26 years from the USAF. They both loved it and miss it everyday plus they have seen it all and have alot of stories for us, lol. I still don't know what I am going to do. We'll see, but one thing that was brought to my attention today, is that there is no re-enlistment bonus for my job, there has never been one due to the need on the outside for this job.
Another thing is that the IT guy at my wife's/father's work, which is a contracted guy, said I get the experience and training, he will start me out at around $50,000 and if I go 6 years and come out with a masters, he said more like $70,000. There is no way I can get a masters in a 4 year enlistment, not with a family, so that is why I want 6. Yeah, I do agree with alot of you, 6 may be too much, I may not like it as much as I think, but I want to get as much out of this as possible. Also, even if i leave after the 4 or 6 years, I will stay active reserve until the max age so I can still get some retirement from that.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Is your recruiter just clueless or what? You receive your 3 skill level on completion of tech training. Anyone who has completed tech school should know that!

I think you misunderstand what the Inactive Reserve commitment is. It is not active reserve, it is Inactive for a specified period of time after you complete your contracted years. The government reserves the right to call you back to duty at your previously held grade until that commitment is over. You will NOT receive any retirement pay for that inactive time frame.

Jack
Old 02-16-2008, 02:28 AM
On The Tree

^^^ no matter what you are signing up for 8 years period, you may serve 4 active but the government can call your *** up and ship you out for the next 4 year whether you liek it or not, as for your education, if you want to get a degree quick then try and go sere u get an assoc in about 1 year and then they will pay for everything up to a bach. then you can use your GI bill to pay for 75% of your masters and any other graduates degree you might want, also be sure to sign up for the GI bill and the TSP (thrift saving plan) your a total idiot if you dont, yea sure you will not get your full base pay for a year but 1200$ vs. 45000$ for an education doesnt even compare its way better to just pay the 100 a month for a year
Old 02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Launching!

babydeuce, I know that they still own me for 8 that is why I said I would stay Active reserve, there is no point going inactive when I can get up to date training in my field all year long and build a little retirement from it compared to inactive when you get nothing, plus if the AF ever decides to let active reserve re-enlist as active duty, and I can, I would.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

yes just like tsgt rick said, you will be a 3 level after tech school. i am a 3 level right now 4N031, but will be a 5 level 4N051 in a few months.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Launching!

2a652 here in a couple of months, yeah. thats AGE by the way!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt join the army!! those dudes are getting screwed in every way. definitely do the AIR FORCE. if not the AIR FORCE, i probably would do the coast guard!!
Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
i wouldnt join the army!! those dudes are getting screwed in every way. definitely do the AIR FORCE. if not the AIR FORCE, i probably would do the coast guard!!
+9238492482934
All my buds stil in are getting *** FUCKED by the Army all day..

Quick Reply: Signing my life away tomorrow!!!