Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

The greatest day of my life, and military career, is today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats future butter bar.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98LS-WON
Congrats.
If you change your mind and want fly fighters, look me up if you go through Sheppard.
That opportunity has already sailed. I tried for the Active Duty board last fall, but didn't make it. I then went to the Reserve unit I got sponsered by (KC-135's). There was a guard unit I was going to apply for if I didn't get the Reserve spot that had F-16's, but that would have been my last possible pilot opportunity before I would be too old.

I take it you are at sheppard right now? If I would have made the Active Duty board, there was a good chance I would be meeting up with you.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bene
Congrats future butter bar.
Thanks man. Even though it will be back to being a newbie and that means being a butter bar, I couldn't be happier about it
Old 03-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
Sorrry if I missunderstood you. When you said flat out that you wouldn't salute me, just because I wasn't going to be part of of ACC or the fighter community even though I would still be an officer I took it as you didn't think any officer's were worth saluting unless they were fighter pilots. That bothers me as everyone has their part in making the mission happen, and even though I am just enlisted now, it always pissed me off when I would see someone not rendering their proper salutes and courtesies, especially to officers.
Oh no no no, I hardly ever (read: never) see officers outside work (while I'm in uniform anyway). Believe me, I've got customs and courtesies out the ***. Congrats on going to teh dark side...I mean officer side. It's quite the accomplishment to say the least. If we're ever TDY somewhere at the same time, I'll buy you a beer
Old 03-09-2008, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pneumothorax
Oh no no no, I hardly ever (read: never) see officers outside work (while I'm in uniform anyway). Believe me, I've got customs and courtesies out the ***. Congrats on going to teh dark side...I mean officer side. It's quite the accomplishment to say the least. If we're ever TDY somewhere at the same time, I'll buy you a beer
I'd settle for the salute
Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Teching In

I don't salute out of uniform
Old 03-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Launching!

I didn't catch that you were going to be a reservist. The Reserves and the Guard are the best kept secrets in the AF. No chance you'll get a predator or other bad deal assignment from them. Congrats, and start looking for airline jobs as soon as you're off of active status in your unit. It's usually two years after pilot training that they turn you into a "weekend warrior". Once again, good luck.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98LS-WON
I didn't catch that you were going to be a reservist. The Reserves and the Guard are the best kept secrets in the AF. No chance you'll get a predator or other bad deal assignment from them. Congrats, and start looking for airline jobs as soon as you're off of active status in your unit. It's usually two years after pilot training that they turn you into a "weekend warrior". Once again, good luck.
Thanks dude
Old 03-09-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contrats and yes take care of your maintainers. My father has been doing it for 28 years almost and I bet will stay in for 40. He has 5 helmets in his basement, two are hemets that past pilots of his gave to him in thanks for taking care of their jets. It was the real hemlets they had when they retired, instead of keeping them they gave them to him.

Best thing you can do to show thanks to a maintainer is show him or her respect for what they do for you. Nothing I hate more then a cocky pilot hahaha. Rember that being tankers if mechanical goes wrong you don't have an ejection seat like the fighters do.

Again contrats!

Originally Posted by CALL911
I'd settle for the salute

Eye level or crotch level?? hahahaha

Oh, if a crew chief ever gives the signal were he takes his hand and cups it (elecated at about face level with the palm facing down), puts his fist in it and pulls down with his fist then that means you are pissing him off hahaha.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 03-09-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey man, congrats on ur promotion. im happy for ya. im actually in the process of doing the same thing - just gettin jacked around with this degree im trying to get.

if u dont mind, what were ur AFOQT scores? just trying to get an idea of what i have to make to be even remotely competetive. and are u good at math? what was ur degree in?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

I'd rather not broadcast my personal scores for the world to see via the internet, however I can tell you that the biggest score they look at on the AFOQT for a pilot/rated spot is the pilot score. A pilot score of 87-92 is what most accepted applicants get, along with a average accepted GPA of a 3.6 or higher. Keep in mind that your AFOQT score is only one part of the whole package that is needed to be considered for this.

A rated pilot spot for the Air Force is one of the most competitive positions you could apply for. Not only are there hundreds of applicants each board date, but there are less and less spots becoming available as the Air Force keeps downsizing. This leaves the availability for only the very small percentage of top cadidates for the positions.

What I am trying to say here is the better your over-all pilot package looks to the board, the better your chances. You might get by with an AFOQT pilot score of 87, however a 92 would look better. You only need a bare minimum 4 year bachelor degree. Mine is in a non-aeronautical degree, but if you have one specifically to do with something related to being a pilot, it will help. As will your private pilots license, flying hours, and TBAS test scores. Not to mention you need to have a clean record, as in no big infractions with the law, or bad credit history, and will need to pass a security clearance and pass basically one of the most thorough physical exams in the military. Don't let all of this scare you away, but you need to know that this is why so many try, and so few make it. It's a long and difficult road to go down, and with everyone growing up wanting to be a pilot, and the pilot spots thinning constantly, you need to be at the up-most top of your game, and everything included in your package to make it a competitive one.

Good luck to you, and thanks for the congrats.

Originally Posted by camaroguy_02
hey man, congrats on ur promotion. im happy for ya. im actually in the process of doing the same thing - just gettin jacked around with this degree im trying to get.

if u dont mind, what were ur AFOQT scores? just trying to get an idea of what i have to make to be even remotely competetive. and are u good at math? what was ur degree in?

Quick Reply: The greatest day of my life, and military career, is today!