Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Cannon Afb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you mean North of 21st and East of Prince St.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just PCS'd from Cannon a couple weeks ago.

Every assignment is what you make of it, really. Me personally, Clovis wasn't absolutely horrible, but it wasn't all that great, either.

As you probably already know, Clovis is about 100 miles from the nearest civilization, ie: places to shop, take the kids, etc.

The town is small... about 33k last I checked. Most of the town is pretty run down along the most visible spots. There isn't much as far as city beautification goes. So expect to see alot of patched up houses and old rusted trucks on cinder blocks in people's front yards in alot of places.

Crime can be high in the poorer areas. Not so much in murders, rapes, etc... but more like domestic disputes, drugs, some gang activity, etc. As long as you stay out of the shitty parts of town, you should be OK.

The housing market is way overpriced. Lots of homes in the $200k+ range if you can afford it (which us military folk can't). You can find some good homes in the $100k range, but they won't be new developments.

As far as living goes, in my opinion, look for houses north of 21st Street. That's the "better" area of town. The NE part of town is where most of the upscale houses are at.

Schools, if you have kids... I can't speak for all schools, but the one where my daughter attended (Sandia Elementary) was pretty nice.

Shopping... hope you like Wal-Mart! There isn't much beyond that. Main Street has some nice antique stores on it, though.

Dining... not much, mainly Applebees, Chili's, Red Lobster, Leal's, K-Bob's and a few other places. Word to the wise: if you plan on going out out on payday, leave the house early! Seems like the entire town goes out to eat on paydays and space is limited.

Nightlife... there is none. Unless you count City Limits and Kelly's.

The base... seems like it's doing well. On the surface, it seems the AFSOC leadership is really trying to make the place more enjoyable for the troops stationed there. I left before alot of it came to fruitition, but the talks on the table were promising. For example, I like how they do the wing promotion ceremonies now, for example. It's more laid back and informal, and actually fun.

Lots of ricers in town... pretty fun to **** with on a boring Friday/Saturday night if you're looking to raise some hell.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

hey thanks guys..... do they do tuning at tsp........ i usaully drive to houston (hpe) but now the trip is going to be to far for me to do on a weekend....... i have a cammed gto, with 243 heads sitting in my living room. i havent put them on yet cause i am putting my s10 together and i dont have the cash for a retune once i get them on.... plus i want to bump my shot up from 100 to 150...... just trying to get my truck running first.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Launching!

TSP (in my opinion) are the best tuners in the area, especially Jason. They're about 100 miles away, but they've always hooked us Cannon guys up when we'd go and visit them. Well worth the trip down there, even if it's just to say "hi" if you happen to be in the Lubbock area.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
I think you mean North of 21st and East of Prince St.
Yep, your right, got a little turned around there.....

Jack
Old 03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
12 Second Club

is there anything going on after that roswell deal...... i would love to caravan with you fellas to some of these meets...... and even meet up with some of ya'll when i get there....
Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

I know "Burnin the Bricks" is coming up in June and that will be in Pampa, TX. That is a little past Amarillo, TX so about 2-2.5 hours from Clovis. I went last year and let me tell you it is AWESOME! Tons of cars around running times ranging from 8-18 second 1/4 miles. It's like a 2 day thing. First day is the car show and burn out contest and other misc. contests plus they give out trophies, later that night the city blocks off a few city blocks and all these cars just go cruise around and people are on the side watching, second day is all out drag racing at their airport from like 9am-8pm. They block off 1/4 mile to run on and have a tree and everything. All morning is pretty much call outs, you see someone you want to race you ask them and if they accept you line up and run em. Doesn't matter what your or him runs! Then starting at like 2pm they start having the different classes competing for trophies. They have like Outlaw, fastest girl, fastest high schooler, etc.

You can check out a few of their local websites to keep up on what going on in their specific towns. I know Lubbock has quite a few car shows a year. Lots of racing down there too, street and strip! Clovis has their big show in like September where the Desert Cruzers raffle off a car every year. This year is a 1982 Corvette! It is in immaculate condition too! They sale the tickets all year ($10) then they raffle it off in September.

Lubbock (1.5 hours away)- racelubbock.com
Amarillo (1.5 hours away)- amarilloracers.com and texasstreetcars.com
Clovis- desertcruzers.com (car club in Clovis they keep up on alot of the car stuff going on in the state)
Albuquerque (3.5 hours away)- racingsouthwest.com
Old 04-01-2008, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by porksoda
Lubbock (1.5 hours away)- racelubbock.com
Amarillo (1.5 hours away)- amarilloracers.com and texasstreetcars.com
Clovis- desertcruzers.com (car club in Clovis they keep up on alot of the car stuff going on in the state)
Albuquerque (3.5 hours away)- racingsouthwest.com
good lookin out there.....
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Addict

No problem! I'm from here so if you have any questions shoot me a PM or something.

Quick Reply: Cannon Afb?