Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Cannon Afb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cannon Afb?

not sure if i am gonna like this.... but i currently hate my job here teaching at sheppard so if you are at cannon..... need some info... where do i live(that way i dont get stabbed for wearing the wrong color)
Old 03-26-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am here at sheppard as well, and did 4 years at cannon...If you want some info face to face, give me a ring. X-7531

Jack
Old 03-26-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Few of us on here did some years at Cannon... Would be glad to give ya some info...
Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 AM
12 Second Club

i work graves? but i might give you a ring on friday in the morning....... yeah any info would help........ thanx......
Old 03-27-2008, 04:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude i live here. There is a few people here that is/were stationed here too. Demon_Speeding, Grave, endlesssummer85, hotrod_bljak, Malicious.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

well there are some peeps out there...... i use to live in ft walton bch.... now i am going to live in clovis......i grew up in houston so i am not a fan of small cities..... but i am looking foward to working on planes again...... teaching was fun for a lil bit, i get there in jul..... so not to far from now.... i will need a place to live.... just dont want to move in the wrong neighborhood, and not sure if i want to buy.... was looking at house's and man is **** overpriced there....... so i might just rent for the time being.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man, I work Swings and leave the office around midnight, give me a ring if you come in a bit early. I am unfortunately "married" to clovis, as my wife is from there and still has family there. I am guessing you are at 365 right now?

Jack
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CABRO
well there are some peeps out there...... i use to live in ft walton bch.... now i am going to live in clovis......i grew up in houston so i am not a fan of small cities..... but i am looking foward to working on planes again...... teaching was fun for a lil bit, i get there in jul..... so not to far from now.... i will need a place to live.... just dont want to move in the wrong neighborhood, and not sure if i want to buy.... was looking at house's and man is **** overpriced there....... so i might just rent for the time being.
Overpriced ! I live in Cali ! I'm a reservist out of March ARB and I work as a DoD Aircraft Elec/Weapons at Edward AFB.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm lost as to how that pertains to him moving to Clovis NM lol...There's a Clovis CA but thats not where he's going.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:38 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

I know he's not going to Cali ! I was commenting on what he said as far as being "overpriced!" In Cali everywhere everything is "overpriced." Rent for a 3bd 2ba apartment is around $1400+ in a not so good neighborhood, which is common here, compared to Dallas/ FT. Worth(my future home someday !) thats a house payment for a 3500 sqft house. That's basically all I was saying !
Old 03-28-2008, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

dude its cali...... thats why it is expensive and if i lived there i wouldnt care cause they would pay me accordingly...... they dont pay crap for living in clovis and the house's dont match what the base is paying for cost of living that is my bitch about living there..... if i lived in cali i wouldnt care cause they would pay me to live there... bah is like a grand there..... i am going to a place where they are only paying me like 650....., not to mention not to hate on the city, but its not the greatest place to live what does it have to offer to charge that much, if you did live in dfw area they wouldnt pay you enough to live in the 3500 sq ft home that you are talking about...... anyways thanks for all the comments.....
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by babydeuce
Man, I work Swings and leave the office around midnight, give me a ring if you come in a bit early. I am unfortunately "married" to clovis, as my wife is from there and still has family there. I am guessing you are at 365 right now?

Jack
no i am in 360trs...
Old 03-28-2008, 03:03 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

I understand ! I was commenting as a civilian cause I'm a reservist I only get BAH when I'm on duty !

Good luck with everything and make the best of it ! Spend more time with the family, do a 1st Gen restore/mod with them, it'll be cool ! Take care !

Go AirForce !
Old 03-29-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Addict

I'm not military so I don't know any better but Clovis is a small town. Lots of dairies and the base keeping us going really. I was born and raised here so I really can't talk bad about the place although i have been to Florida, California, Texas, West Virginia, and all the southern states and they were all pretty fun! I work with a bunch of military guys and most aren't too fond of Clovis since they are from big towns or just came from being stationed in a big town and Clovis is like a culture shock for them. I have also heard the base isnt too great right now since they got a new mission and are transitioning to a Special Ops base. From what I have heard is that the transition is happening too fast so people are upset.

Once you get here is will be obvious where the "good" part of town is. You can tell the difference between the old ran down houses and the nicer, newer ones. It's not like there are people sitting outside wearing bandanas and drinking 40's or anything though.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by porksoda
I'm not military so I don't know any better but Clovis is a small town. Lots of dairies and the base keeping us going really. I was born and raised here so I really can't talk bad about the place although i have been to Florida, California, Texas, West Virginia, and all the southern states and they were all pretty fun! I work with a bunch of military guys and most aren't too fond of Clovis since they are from big towns or just came from being stationed in a big town and Clovis is like a culture shock for them. I have also heard the base isnt too great right now since they got a new mission and are transitioning to a Special Ops base. From what I have heard is that the transition is happening too fast so people are upset.

Once you get here is will be obvious where the "good" part of town is. You can tell the difference between the old ran down houses and the nicer, newer ones. It's not like there are people sitting outside wearing bandanas and drinking 40's or anything though.

thanks pork..... im sure it's not as bad as most people make it sound, i was just suprised at how much the house's cost there.... thats all.... i would'nt care as long as the base would up our bah to balance the cost of living there. i chose to go to this base so i am coming with an open mind. its just hard to find a place to live by just looking at a map, i was kinda hoping to just have something set up before i got there. i think i might just drive down one weekend and drive around.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Depends how you look at it. I still live in clovis, born and raised in South Jersey, did 4 yrs at cannon, but they changed missions and majcoms, so I can't really tell ya what it's like there now. But some cool perks to look at like NM has no emissions or inspection so ORY open cut out, no problem. About a hour and a half from Lubbock, Amarillo, Roswell, (TSP is in lubbock so you get my point there... It's not all that bad... there's stuff to do you just have to go out and do it.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:05 AM
TECH Addict

^^^BTW let me know when we go to TSP so I can make a few runs on the dyno too! I need to hurry up and get the nitrous thrown in so I can beat your numbers. LOL

BTW nitrous will also come in handy for Roswell in May! Check this out, it's the ad for "Pass Time" a show on the Speed channel: http://area51dragway.com/
Old 03-30-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hmmm sounds pretty cool and they have a little lower DA than Idalou!!! I'm still waiting on my state income tax check from jersey, then I'll make the appointment. I'll let ya know. Yea you really need to get that hooked up and throw in some TR6's.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Yea and since I'll be in Roswell tomorrow I'm gonna pick up a few entry forms, maybe Jerry will hand em out to some of the old guys that actually make runs! I'm also talking to the guy that runs the track and he said he might be able to hook me up with some dyno time tomorrow too! Hopefully better than the $125 TSP wanted, no love for the LT1 from those guys. LOL
Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cabro,

I would say that you have heard a pretty fair assessment of clovis so far, but let me drop my 2 cents.

Cannon was my first assignment from Apr 94 TO Jun 98 when the EF-111A was retired. I got to cannon as a single airmen and left married with kids. Clovis was alot smaller back then, and did not have what most of your average stores. Hell, they did not get a Wendy's or Taco bell until late 1997.

The Base: Very small by comparison to even Sheppard. Housing is decent on base, facilities are old, as cannon has not had real money coming in since the 111's left. Small BX and commisary, 1 shopette, and a small consolidated club. The gyms were nice when I left, but I have no clue now. The hospital was very good when I left, but I have heard that is has gone down hill. I was satisfied with the base when I was there.

The Town: You have 2 cities near the base. Clovis is right down 60/84 about 4-5 miles, and Portales (P-ville) is out the back gate of the base about 10-12 miles. Portales is a small college town, but boasts a high hispanic population. Clovis itself in my opinion is for the most part very dirty and grungy looking. Once you get away from the main part of town, that changes. Keep in mind that this is an agriculture/ranch community. For the most part, people are supportive the of the military, and friendly. They now have a super walmart, and some other larger stores, so they are finally keeping up with the more modern cities. There is not a whole lot to do in clovis. If you are into the bar scene, well they have them, but most are country. Racing, forget it, you have to drive for that one, Lubbock or Amarillo. They did have a small roundy round dirt track out at Ned Houk Park, but I dont know if it still runs or not. Weather there is much like here, but it changes at the drop of a dime. They do get snow regularly durring the winter, and driving on their very poor streets can cause issues. If you are looking to buy a house, I would reconsider, the market is not real good, and the personnel turnover is not high enough to really make any money. The city is split by Prince St. and 21st ST. If you are looking for housing, stay north of Prince, and west of 21st, that will put you into the more "upscale" housing. There are also some nice homes behind the mall, which is south of Prince st, but still west of 21st. When you drive around town, it will be very obvious what I am talking about.

My opinion: If you are single, you probably will grow tired of Clovis very quickly. If you are married, its not so bad. If you dont mind traveling, clovis really is not a bad place to live. I enjoyed my time there, left with a wife and and a kid, but I have no ambitions to return.....

Jack

Last edited by babydeuce; 03-30-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Cannon Afb?