Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

first base should i buy a house?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default first base should i buy a house?

hey guys, ive been stationed here at my first base for 6 years!!! yes 6 years!! LOL!! but ive been wondering if i should go ahead and buy a house? i know a house is an investment and this and that, but if i do get orders to pcs, i dont want to deal with the hassle of trying to sell it or even deal with renting it out. but at the same time i would like to start paying for a house now. i dont want to be like 80 years old tryin to pay for a house.. any advice?
Old 06-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a great time to buy a house. Great investment also.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Dont buy it if its your first duty station and you dont wanna deal with renting or selling, you will most likely be sent elsewhere so I wouldnt advise it unless you plan on getting out
Old 06-01-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Second Club

I would say that you've been there a little too long. It takes about 2 years to be able to break even on a house, so if you get orders, you're screwed.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah man, ive been here for way tooo long. but i think im just gonna go ahead and pass on trying to buy a house. i dont want to be stuck trying to pay for 2 house payments... that means no mod money..
Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

yeah be carefull with that **** i bough a house in OK and planed on selling it after a few years and now that the housing market has gone in the ******* i can't sell my house right now or i am going to end up losing money so i am stuck paying for it while i try to figure out what i can do. but it you are getting ready to get out and want to stay where you are out then now is the perfect time to buy
Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
hey guys, ive been stationed here at my first base for 6 years!!! yes 6 years!! LOL!! but ive been wondering if i should go ahead and buy a house? i know a house is an investment and this and that, but if i do get orders to pcs, i dont want to deal with the hassle of trying to sell it or even deal with renting it out. but at the same time i would like to start paying for a house now. i dont want to be like 80 years old tryin to pay for a house.. any advice?
Buy a house. If you get orders use a property manager. They take care of the renting heahaches.

This is a great time to be a buyer. You will build equity instead of paying someone elses mortgage through rent. The longer you wait....the longer you will be paying after you get out.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friends senerio: Bought house at Ft Stewart was married 2006, got divorced no longer authorized Housing allowance. House is currently rented tenants plan on vacating end of year. House is and has been for sale since we left to go to Iraq (Jan 2007) the property managment company get 10% of the rented amount once the tenants move out she will be responsible for the mortgage with out having the entitlements she once had...we are hoping it sel real soon!

I purchased a house at my 4th duty station in Columbia,SC I plan on returning there once I retire in a few years. I divorced end of '06 but I make enough to pay for it plus rent a place just about where ever I go. I get housing entitlements becuase I have a son with my first marriage so that helps out.

Got to think long term if you pcs who will take care of your house, if your buying to rent it then you will have to get a proerty managment compnay that wil take care of it. I knwo alot of people that own houses near posts they were statined at and they rent them out and make some good money but its a risky business.....anyway good luck with your first purchase....
Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

I bought a house at my first duty station when I was at Offutt AFB. That was back in 2002 I think May. But anyways I PCS'd in 05' and I have been renting it out since. With the economy being so bad there are going to be renters because not anyone can afford to by a house. Maybe I just been lucky. I plan to keep the house for awhile though. When I PCS to FL im buying another house I want to buy a house at every duty station if possible. Then when I retire sell them all and build the dream house.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I have 3 houses. My only regret was not buying sooner. When you PCS have Century 21 manage the property for you. All you do is collect rent money every month. If you don't rent it quickly it doesn't matter. At the end of the year then it will be considered a loss for your taxes. Buy now.

And "mod money" is not a priority. Investing now for the future of yourself and family is. Remember that.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I have 3 houses. My only regret was not buying sooner. When you PCS have Century 21 manage the property for you. All you do is collect rent money every month. If you don't rent it quickly it doesn't matter. At the end of the year then it will be considered a loss for your taxes. Buy now.

And "mod money" is not a priority. Investing now for the future of yourself and family is. Remember that.
True Dat! Exactly who I go thru.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Urban Legend

damn urban 3 houses... no doubt man, i want to invest for the future. but i think my wife wants to see overseas. so im thinking just doing that saving money there and then buying a home when i come back though.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:48 AM
On The Tree

Yea man hold off... you have to come down on orders soon I would think lol. I'm headed to Bliss (my 3rd duty station but first one, besides my current Korea tour, since I got married). I'm gonna buy a house because I'm going to a BCT for the first time and I will be fresh off of this Korea short tour. Times like that are a better time to buy a crip IMO.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys!! alot of good advice from alot of experienced guys on here!! also man, i really want to just pay off the bills that i have so that way i can get a nice big house that i would be happy with rather than just getting a house to get a house. i hear alot of horror stories bout people not being able to sell there house. plus right now waayy to many people are asking too much for renting a house.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I could go back and do it again, I'd buy an apartment complex. That is probably the best investment going real estate wise, and what I plan on doing when I get down to Texas.

Marty
Old 06-12-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
If I could go back and do it again, I'd buy an apartment complex. That is probably the best investment going real estate wise, and what I plan on doing when I get down to Texas.

Marty
Yes Sir. I bought a 4 plex in Killeen for 165,000.00 back in 05.

Quick Reply: first base should i buy a house?