Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Please help me- new guy interested in the military

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Very successful example of Marine Corps recruiting right there...

Anyway, pretty much everyone above hit the nail on the head. USCG isn't a bad life, before 9-11 you guys were getting more action than most of the other services (counter-drug).
hey we dont just take any Joe off the road.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

what do you mean he would be wasting his potential, i have a 113 gt and I am a 13B and I know in the army the Infantry has the highest average GT Score grunts are not as stupid as most people think. Combat mos is some thing like Artillary, Infantry, Cav Scout stuff like that we are the guys that roll out of the FOB every day and are the ones on the street. Alot of guys in Iraq never leave the FOB if you do that you are almost as safe as being in the states. If you like to work out side and don't mide working long *** hours and being dog **** tired by the end of the day then you should look in to either Artillary or Infantry. I love my job when we are in Iraq we are operating like infantry but back in the states you are shooting your cannon up to 20 miles aways. But I will tell you that you should try to work on your GT your goal should be 110, If you get that then you can do any job in the army plus later on down the road you are going to want to get it up so do your best on the test.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:00 PM

Ok, after lots of research, I've picked 4 MOSs that I would like to do: 35L, 35F, 25B, and 68X. Any comments on these? All of them seem fun and different, especially the intel stuff.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 01SSKilla
Ok, after lots of research, I've picked 4 MOSs that I would like to do: 35L, 35F, 25B, and 68X. Any comments on these? All of them seem fun and different, especially the intel stuff.
Do you KNOW if you're qualified for them? Any color-vision or hearing requirements you might not meet?
Old 06-15-2008, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Duffster
Do you KNOW if you're qualified for them? Any color-vision or hearing requirements you might not meet?
Well, I'm not color blind or hearing impaired. I'm not asking if you think I'm physically capable of doing the job, I'm asking if you've done it/heard about it/know anything about it.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

68X is a really tough job because of the people you have to deal with. Im a 68W and I will never EVER be a 68X. It can be a fun job but it is mainly a hospital/clinic MOS and can be straining.

35F is VERY stressful especially when you make a little rank. A ton of responsibility is placed on your shoulders especially now that we deploy a ton. You will also have to get a Top Secret clearance for it and that can pay off big time once you get out. One of our E5s is getting out and he will be making 120k a year working for a civilian company. Thats just his FIRST year salary not including his signing bonus.

If you talk to a recruiter make sure you get everything they promise in writing! Seriously, you can get really screwed if you just take their word for it.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:56 AM

Thanks for the response. I've directed my attention away from the combat type jobs because there's no civilian equivilant so I'm going to go with 25B or 35F. Hopefully there'll be a bonus for at least one of them.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will say this: DO NOT go commo. It is by far the shittiest job that we have in our unit. It *might* give you a marketable skill if you can get the right job at the right place and with a security clearance but most of the time its just crap. It might sound all nice and peachy in the description but its not fun. I wouldnt wish a commo job on anybody especially in the infantry.

Also you will get deployed no matter what your job is. The Army is using a new system so that people who have skipped out on deployments one way or another in the 5+ years will be going REALLY soon.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:08 AM
TECH Regular

I dunno about that. I am a 25B, and am getting some insanely lucrative skills. The army bs is the army bs...you will have that everywhere you go. I have reached the point where I know quite well what I am doing, my sgt knows that, and he actually shields us from some of the bs. My platoon leaders push us to get college degrees and all the civilian certifications. They are quick to sign us up for any MOS-specific army training available, and are willing to work hard to facilitate promotions as early as possible. I truly enjoy my job.

BTW, "commo" is any 25 series job.

Three of the 25Bs in my unit are getting out after this deployment and stepping into contractor jobs starting at 6 figures. Another you might consider that translates to an insanely lucrative civilian career is 25S.

25Bs can have good or bad unit assignments. Be ready to learn a lot, and keep at it aggressively. One of my friends is pretty much running cables. Another is on a VOIP help desk. Another is in a Joint Network Node. Another is running a CPN communication stack. I am dead smack in the middle of a unit hub, responsible for keeping a massive multi-country network up and going, surrounded by $180 mil worth of network equipment. Depends on where your unit is. As far as I am concerned 25B (or 25S) is the MOS to have. It all depends on your perspective.

Yeah, don't worry about going to Iraq. You join the army, you will be going period. You may even do Korea first, but you will be going to Iraq. As far as combat...well...you may or may not see much of that. As expensive and vital as our equipment is they tend to not put us in imminent danger areas. Again that depends on what you do for your unit when you get to them.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pick something you like do 20 years retire, kick back and relax! You can always reclass...
Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SSKilla
How much did your specific job you chose help you when you got out?
My Naval training and clearance got me a job making good money. I work on electronics test and development. I chose a technical aircraft avionics field and definitely came out better financially than my Army/Marine grunt friends who are now cops in New York, Chicago, and Miami.

All that matters is that you're happy doing what you do and can support your future with the education and experience that you get. Serve the military well and let the military serve you well.

Quick Reply: Please help me- new guy interested in the military