Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Which AFB's to stay away from.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babydeuce
You must really enjoy the smell from the stock yards.....or you really like the early morning haze that develops just outside the base

I did 4.5 years at cannon back when the base had money and base housing was not run down. I have family in clovis, and still would not come back. No offense, but you are nuts!

Jack
Somedays I'm driving to work on 467 (I live in Portales) I'm having a pretty good morning so far, I think this could be a good day, then i get a mile from base and pass a dairy and right next to the road theres a cow shitting, then the smell hits me, now I'm pissed off all day. Seriously, I'm separating in 9 months, I have dreams the Air Force cant fund, Staying at Cannon is the wise thing to do, lots of time for school and more importantly cars.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to:

Ramstein
Mildenhall
Scott
Eglin/Hurlburt Field
Dover
Andrews

Don't go to:
Shaw
Tyndall
Vance
Tinker
Altus
Sheppard (for that matter any AETC base )
Old 07-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000KnightRider
Whiteman is pretty lame. 50 miles east of KC if you want any kind of real nightlife. There are about 6 people here locally that own F-Bodies so that makes it alright. The nearest track isnt that far away...about 40-50 miles. There is a college in the nearest town to Whiteman but only 1 or 2 good bars and 2 out of the 3 strip joints in the outskirts of town are alright...if you like pregnant and meth addicted strippers.
Hey I just did PCS to Whiteman a few months ago. Yeah if you like the country this is for you. You can catch deer without having to ever fire a shot as long as you have a brush guard or don't mind a crippled nose on your car.

But the good thing is if you're single Warrensburg is full of good looking chicks.

KCMR is a little too far away IMO but if you like dirt track circle racing there's an oval track just outside the base.

And what strip club doesn't have meth addicted strippers?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:58 PM
Teching In

GO TO LUKE, I was there for 3 years and loved it lots of cars, hot chicks, and partying. I'm in aviano right now wouldnt recommed coming over here for your first assignment
Old 07-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Hahaha... I see alot of Cannon posts in here... I'm glad I'm out of that place. I'll admit though, I think the base will be alot better once AFSOC sinks it's money into rebuilding the place. That won't help Clovis out much though. I think that place will stay the way it is until the end of time. I would never go back.

Shaw isn't too bad. The base is a little... "different", I'll leave it at that. But believe it or not, Sumter isn't too bad. Everything I need is within 5 mintues driving distance, and if it's not here I can just go to Columbia. There isn't much night life here, but I prefer drinking at home and partying with friends at their houses anyway.

The place I miss the most is RAF Lakenheath. I wouldn't mind doing a second tour there at all. I also miss Nellis (my first assignment). But I don't think I'd want to PCS back there, but TDY's are OK. It was great when I was young and single, but now that I'm a little order, and have children, I don't think I'd want to go back.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bases on the east coast to stay away from;

McGuire
Dover

Bases on the east coast that are decent;

Andrews
Seymour Johnson
Charlston

Other bases to stay away from;

Anyone that is an AETC base like Lackland, Tyndal, Altus, Luke, ect.
Dyess
Grand Forks
Minot
Cannon

Bases that are good that aren't on the east coast;

Davis Mothan
Travis
Mchord
MacDill
Hickam

All these I have had personal experience with one way or another. I will say that your job is WAY more important than your location though. I was at McGuire for 4 years, and hated McGuire. But I would gladly go back because my job was friggin awesome. Pick a good job, and even if you end up in Minot, you'll be happy. Obviously if you get a great job, and a great location you have the best of both worlds, but if you have to pick one or the other, go with the good job.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CALL911

McGuire
Dover

Andrews
Seymour Johnson
Charlston

Dyess
Grand Forks
Minot
Cannon

Bases that are good that aren't on the east coast;

Davis Mothan
Travis
Mchord
MacDill
Hickam

All these I have had personal experience with one way or another. I will say that your job is WAY more important than your location though. I was at McGuire for 4 years, and hated McGuire. But I would gladly go back because my job was friggin awesome. Pick a good job, and even if you end up in Minot, you'll be happy. Obviously if you get a great job, and a great location you have the best of both worlds, but if you have to pick one or the other, go with the good job.
So MacDill AFB FL isnt on the east coast?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

So MacDill AFB FL isnt on the east coast?
MacDill is in Tampa Bay FL (Western side of Florida near the Gulf of Mexico). I catogorize the East coast as those bases/states that are right on the Atlantic. Being on the west side of FL, I guess I don't consider it to be on the East coast. But thats just me.

Why does this really matter anyways?
Old 07-18-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

MacDill is in Tampa Bay FL (Western side of Florida near the Gulf of Mexico). I catogorize the East coast as those bases/states that are right on the Atlantic. Being on the west side of FL, I guess I don't consider it to be on the East coast. But thats just me.

Why does this really matter anyways?
Because I guess spending 25 years in FL at both Patrick and MacDill; to me FL is an east coast state.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:57 AM
TECH Addict

Because I guess spending 25 years in FL at both Patrick and MacDill; to me FL is an east coast state.
If MacDill were on the east coast rather than the west coast of FL, I might consider the base to be on the east coast. Again, matter of opinion (that probably really doesn't matter here)
Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

McGuire
Dover

Andrews
Seymour Johnson
Charlston

Dyess
Grand Forks
Minot
Cannon
I was at Minot for 2 years and at first i hated it. I also had a ****-poor attitude about being there 80%. But after i accepted the fact that "hey i signed up for this and knew they may move me anywhere" i opened up and really started having a good time. Believe it or not there are some cuties up there too! You have to keep that in mind that they will put you where-ever they need you! The mission comes first...or is it saftey
Old 07-23-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rob M
...You have to keep that in mind that they will put you where-ever they need you! The mission comes first...or is it saftey

Agreed. This is for the most part pointless to even bring up, as for a first assignment, you pretty much have no control over what so ever (who really thinks they actually "try" to get you something close to your dream sheet anyways?)
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 90TSiAWD
Yea I went to Andrews a few weeks ago for the air show....its the only AFB ive ever been on and I liked it alot but I just dont like whats outside it.

Andrews has some good facilities, it's where the hardcore alcoholic Navy guys from Pax River, MD get sent to dry out and rehab. (My former friend went after his 3rd DUI before getting booted out) The plus side is that it's within fair driving distance to Maryland Int'l Raceway and Capital Raceway.

The area outside the base is kind of a shithole with a fair amount of Government subsidized Section 8 housing in the area. Just my opinion though.

Quick Reply: Which AFB's to stay away from.