Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Can't Decide..Sell it or Keep it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't Decide..Sell it or Keep it?

Just need some advice on what anyone would do. Own a 99' Z/28 and going to be stationed at Aviano, Italy for 3 years and taking my wifes car. Don't know if I should sell the car or not? It has 150K miles so its old but took very good care of it and also put some kind of money into it. Need advice, would you sell it or keep it (had plenty of good memories in it in the last 3 years i owned it).
Old 08-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Teching In

how many cars are you authorized to ship? Im pretty sure its only one, if you got about 3 grand to throw away id say go for it.

Id only do it if it was free
Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep it. You're going to regret it BIG time unless you'll have a C6 to replace it in the future.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, f-bods are a dime a dozen. Your mod list isn't anything absurd so if it doesn't bother you, save the cash in a high yield savings account (ING Direct) and the money you'd pay to store it, and put that towards a new camaro when you return. Just my idea, ultimately you only ask for advice when you already know the answer.

Nate
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Launching!

for what it's going to cost you'd be best off selling it and buying one over there assumnig you can find one. camaros are not exclusive to the united states... it's just they are on every corner here.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

keep it!!
Old 08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

**** im over here at RAF mildenhall, and i should have sold. all i do is miss my car, now im driving a ******* 1.4liter 1475lbs opel astra for 300$. hey at least its chevy. but yeah you can always find more id just sell and save for something new.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 PM
11 Second Club

keep it!
Old 09-03-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

gas is expensive in italy, i think its around $8 a gallon or something. check that out first
Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy ****, dude. I am now in the same predicament as you. I thinking of selling my car so scratch what i said earlier. sigh
Old 09-04-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
Honestly, f-bods are a dime a dozen. Your mod list isn't anything absurd so if it doesn't bother you, save the cash in a high yield savings account (ING Direct) and the money you'd pay to store it, and put that towards a new camaro when you return. Just my idea, ultimately you only ask for advice when you already know the answer.

Nate
That's good advice there. Build a good bank account and you can buy another cheaper when you return and build it nice. As fast as things are changing you will be able to use the lastest tech when you return. Or your tastes might change in 3 years, you never know.

Pat
Old 09-04-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

I'm stationed at Aviano with my TA. I'll lay out the Pro's & Cons:

Pros:
- Definitely a head-turner. Every time I stop at a stoplight any Italians walking around on the sidewalk stare.
- More time enjoying your car. Hell, I paid for the car and have a great time driving it. I used to have a euro-spec BMW I bought here as a second car, and it seemed every time I was out in it, I would run across a Ferrari or a nice Audi that was hauling *** and I would wish I was driving my TA.

Cons:
- Parts. If something breaks, you have to get parts online and wait 1.5-2.5 weeks for it to show up.
- Driving skill. There are some really narrow streets here, and have come VERY close to scraping a building or another car. I've had Italian drivers try to pass me going 50-60 mph when on a dark narrow road, no streetlights while it's raining with oncoming traffic around a hairpin turn going downhill. Sometimes scary ****, and body shops are expensive here.
-Insurance. I used to live in Florida and had decent ins. rates through USAA. I took the TA to Italy, and my ins. jumped 300-400 annually.

Things that don't matter:

- Gas. US forces in europe buy gas coupons at the BX. I buy a 200 liter booklet for around the equivalent of $3.00/gal. So you pay US prices for Italian gas using the coupons. The trick sometimes is trying to find a gas station that's open.

So there seem to be more con's than pro's, but I love my car so I deal with it. But it's nice to smoke stupid kids that think their Fiats, Opels, or BMW's are fast.

Quick Reply: Can't Decide..Sell it or Keep it?