Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces
View Poll Results: How do you like being in the military?
I love it! Its like a dream come true!
27.90%
Its good, but not great.
48.93%
I don't really care for it much.
11.59%
I friggin' hate life and would jump at any earliest opportunity to get out!
11.59%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Poll time. How many of you like being in the Military?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOLO
It all comes down to this: YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT

Semper Fi!
HOOOAAAAAHH!!! I do concour!
Old 08-30-2008, 11:23 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's been great for me as I knew I was a career Airman. Now that I'm close to being retirement eligible (10 days away) I have a different perspective. Will I reenlist? Yes, but having the option to retire is a beautiful thing plus we're DINKS and she's retirement eligible now...it definitely makes things tempting.

It's a great way of life for some but not all. It really takes a special breed to be in ANY branch. I salute you all whether you've done 4 yrs or 30.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it. Yeah, there are alot of BS but you'll get that everywhere.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love my job and love going to work whether it be here in sunny Panama City, FL or if I'm deployed to the biggest shithole on the face of the earth(think I've been there). Plus when I get out I'll make ~$100K and retirement pay.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:27 AM
TECH Regular

While I do like my actual job, there is too much on the negative side of the list for me to say I enjoy it. Some days I struggle to show respect to the fat slob nco's over me who can't run 2 miles to save their lives...or do my job if their life depended on it. On duty I am worth less than the excrement they just kicked off their shoe...off duty they try to be your friend and want me to help them build up their cars.

No additional cost health care is only good if it is useful. I may be jaded though. Go in for abdominal pain one day, be sent away with a bottle of 800mg ibuprofen....and get rushed to the hospital after collapsing 2 days later from a burst appendix tends to sour a person.

In the end...and this is the important part...I take care of our "customers" by doing the best job that I can for them. When I'm on duty it's not about me, it's all about them. They don't deserve anything less than the best I can give them. That's my main motivation for brushing all the crap aside. I'll get as much training, education, and certifications out of the army as I can and leave the uniform behind when the time comes.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

I voted that I love it and it is my dream, because it is and has been since I was a child. I am fortunate enough to serve my country and follow my dream as a pilot. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I would do it for free, but they insist on giving me great benefits and pay
Old 08-31-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I put love it but after this next time in I'm going to start my life and career
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it and miss, not my choice of getting out, but I sure the hell miss Tankin!
Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CALL911
HOOOAAAAAHH!!! I do concour!

That would be....OORAAH!!! We're MARINES!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all comes down to this: YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT
Very well put

I have a feeling when my enlistment is up in Apr 2010(I'm not re-enlisting) I'm not gonna know what to do, except
Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

I put love it... Only because I love to travel. And I never have to live in the Same state If I don't want too..

But other than that. its just another job.. Right now that is.. My current command sucks complete sack,, I have just recently put in my 1306 for a Split Tour.. Back to the Ship I go.

Work hard.... Party Harder!!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

That would be....OORAAH!!! We're MARINES!
It was HOOAAHHH in the Air Force, but I always preffered OORAAH.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been in for 21 years (tried to retire at 20 but the Army had other plans, PCS'd me 19 and I couldn't turn it down then another promotion), love being an infantryman, love being a paratrooper, and few things in life give me more satisfaction than watching a terrorist take his last breath. But I hate being away from my family in Texas. I've missed so much, people get sick, old and die and you aren't there with them. I almost feel like a stranger now with the little family that I have left. I've been homesick for a long time now, but I just keep telling myself that when I finally do move back home my life will be set. Will have a very nice retirement check each month, will have a big house, college degree in hand and good jobs lined up. Never married, no kids, waiting till I retire which was the smartest decision I've ever made in my life bar none. My biggest dream is to get in my hot rod on the first Friday night I am home as a civilian and cruise for hours on the same roads I cruised in high school with 80's metal blasting lol. Sometimes it seems like it will never happen.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

It's the easiest job I've ever had! I go to Iraq for 120 days every 2 years and that it. It's more of a vacation than a deployment. I got my masters degree (during work hours) for a grand total of $0. I drive a 2006 Corvette and live in a very nice 4 bedroom home. I've seen more countries that most people can name. I've met some VERY interesting people and made life long friends. I love being in the Air Force! I've worked with the other 4 branches and I have to say that they don’t have it near as good as us. I probably wouldn’t be as happy in any other branch. No offence intended of course.

Oh, and I get 30 days paid vacation per year. That's just ridiculous
Old 09-02-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Overall Im pretty happy. Got 9 years in now and sometimes it feels like I barley have two, its flowin by. Im very fortunate to be on my second career from retraining, I used to to crew B1 Bombers...was a great experience and learned so damn much its insane. I also did Honor Guard for over two years and that was a awesome time. The pay is decent, benefits are good and I actually enjoy my job. So yeah....I like it. I can get out in Jan but damn....in Apr I'll be 10 freakin years in!! I could make some damn good money on the outside but Im not starving in the AF either and I'll be 10 years away from a pension....so many decisions.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

I like it well enough, and its done me good, but there's just too much bullshit to be worth it. It sucks to say, get a ticket out in town and then get in trouble at work the next day for the same thing. I also hate the absolute bullshit rules I'm under right now. I can't even sit in my room and have a beer!
Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AF has been nothing short of good to me, but things like the phone call I got at 5.15 this morning checking accountability just dont do it for me. I'm out in 8 months.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 AM
Teching In

When thinking about the long hours(and less pay), micro-managing, the shows of faithlessness of the lower ranks by higher, and the empty "moto" speeches by platoon, company, and higher commands (and their 1st sergeants and up), its hard not to hate the military life. But the opportunities that you can utilize, the experiences you gain, and the friendships tempered in steel can make it worthwhile. When I've forced myself to smile when I could have just as easily taken a bat to a staff sergeant's head for lack of leadership or plain lack of common sense, try to keep in mind that maybe later down the line you could be the guy who's not making the same mistakes.

And no, awards, meritorious promotions, and simple certificates won't matter in the civilian world. Schools, experience, and leadership do. For anyone planning on getting out: make it work for you and try to attend school while still in, it pays off in the long run. I know several guys who're making it out in the real world well after their EAS, and they all say that the college helped.

Hey 325Soldier, how long until you're at your 30 mark?
I don't know if it applies for the army (I'm assuming it does), but don't you get 75% as opposed to 50% of your paycheck after you retire after 30+ years?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Banned

I like my job, but I think the wrong branch runs it. I'm not so confident in the Air Force's abilities to manage a combat career field. At least CCT and PJ's have AFSOC, my job is run by ******* fighter pilots.

I like the military way of life. I have a great amount of pride in myself and in the uniform that I wear, I just grow a little more bitter every day about the way the Air Force handles business. I don't agree with their priorities. It works great for guys like 2006vette who see Iraq as a "vacation", not so much for us romads.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jperran
I like my job, but I think the wrong branch runs it. I'm not so confident in the Air Force's abilities to manage a combat career field. At least CCT and PJ's have AFSOC, my job is run by ******* fighter pilots.

I like the military way of life. I have a great amount of pride in myself and in the uniform that I wear, I just grow a little more bitter every day about the way the Air Force handles business. I don't agree with their priorities. It works great for guys like 2006vette who see Iraq as a "vacation", not so much for us romads.
Totally agree, and I'm still curious as to why 1C4's haven't been put into AFSOC all together and just let it be anyways. Of all the ALO's I have met, the only one who seemed to know wtf they were talking about is the Viper East Demo guy here at Shaw. Was at the 24ASOS in HI.

Quick Reply: Poll time. How many of you like being in the Military?