Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

USAF = Thoughts on Flawed EPR System..

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default USAF = Thoughts on Flawed EPR System..

Ok, like I mentioned in the other thread about my MEB Discharge I kind of went off on our SMSGT after PT one day when he struck a nerve with me.. I told him that this new EPR system isn't going to fix anything! He looked at me puzzled. It'll get the fat people out, but it all boils down to the RATER'S personal integrity.

Every one's a 5 now days, and if you give someone a 4, you're hurting them BIG TIME! I should REALLY give my troop a 4 for a certain section of his CRO EPR, but it will screw him out of a Separation/PCS DEC... He's is SERIOUSLY a great troop, but he's not Mr. Air Force.. Firewall 5 = Mr. Air Force. My last EPR Closed out 15 July, my RO gave me a firewall 5 and you know what??? I really don't think I deserved it... I like to think I'm a great troop, but again, I'm not Mr. AF.

I really don't think this new EPR system is going to fix anything, and I know this has been beaten into the ground w/ us USAF guys.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i'm not big by any means ( 27in waist ) but they say that a guy who works our all the time who can bench press 200+ and can run like a mo'fo who has a waist full of muscle is over sized is over weight... a lot of us through in the bs flag on that one... i personally rather have a G.I. Joe muscle head who is " over their BMI " over someone like me who is well in to the 80's points and doesn't even have to do a sit up... BS, your dang right!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

^They aught to add a chest measurement and compare it to the waist. -Not sure about females, tho..
Old 09-05-2008, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

I think they need to re-think the whole AF PT program on how its weighed and then how it's used to effect your epr. I think it's bs!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^They aught to add a chest measurement and compare it to the waist. -Not sure about females, tho..

I would crush so many ppl in that department

The PT test is a farkin joke and I honestly wish they just give us the Army's or the freakin Marines for all I care. I can pass either one of them. Its that stupid waist measurement that screws me .

Far as the EPR's, that isn't getting fixed anytime soon
Old 09-05-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
... but it all boils down to the RATER'S personal integrity.
I disagree... I gave my troop a 4, because as you said "he's not Mr. AF", he didn't have any community involvement or college courses going on, and his PT score was a 76%. But leadership basically forced me to change it to a 5 b/c he didn't have any LOC's or LOR's. To me, a firewall 5 troop is someone who knows and can perform their job inside and out, volunteers his/her *** off, scores above a 85% on the PT test, takes ay least one college course, and displays exemplary leadership/followership skills. THAT'S a solid Airman, thats a firewall 5. Leadership pisses me off when they get all amped about a 4 because they're scared of hurting the airman's chances of making SNCO ranks. It's like they really gotta be a dirtbag and you have to have loads of documentation to give them a 4 or lower. The only reason the new EPR is better in my eyes is because there is 4 less bullets you have to write, and they added the PT section. Other than that it's the same damn EPR.

Last edited by Snootch; 09-05-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they should just do away with the EPR completely!! they should just make promotions just on PFE/PDG and stuff like that. the CMSAF addressing the issue isnt really gonna do anything. just get rid of it.

especially what pisses me off, is when u write the f*ckin package and do it just like ALS taught you. then it goes through the whole chain of command and they change the whole EPR bullet u just wrote. so basically its like, "why dont u ***** just write the EPR then".
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
especially what pisses me off, is when u write the f*ckin package and do it just like ALS taught you. then it goes through the whole chain of command and they change the whole EPR bullet u just wrote. so basically its like, "why dont u ***** just write the EPR then".
Thats some office space **** there, 8 bosses, lol.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

My wife was telling me how the AF does their BMI and its amazing how the do it. To me it sounded like if you are a big muscular guy you are worse off than a skinny weak guy. Doesnt make sense to me, but maybe I am misunderstanding how it works.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brad8266
Thats some office space **** there, 8 bosses, lol.

brad, u aint kiddin man!! i thought the EPR chain should be me as the supervisor, then my boss then the commander. but not in my squadron..f&ck no.. it goes me, my boss, my boss's boss, then the orderly room, then 1 or 2 people in between, then the commander? WTF?

put it this way, i did a package for a buddy of mines that was due u june. we started it in march or april. with the whole run around, the damn package missed its suspense date..LOL..

JUST GET RID OF THE EPR!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
brad, u aint kiddin man!! i thought the EPR chain should be me as the supervisor, then my boss then the commander. but not in my squadron..f&ck no.. it goes me, my boss, my boss's boss, then the orderly room, then 1 or 2 people in between, then the commander? WTF?

put it this way, i did a package for a buddy of mines that was due u june. we started it in march or april. with the whole run around, the damn package missed its suspense date..LOL..

JUST GET RID OF THE EPR!!!
Wow, you are lucky, you have an orderly room....
Old 09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Snootch
I disagree... I gave my troop a 4, because as you said "he's not Mr. AF", he didn't have any community involvement or college courses going on, and his PT score was a 76%. But leadership basically forced me to change it to a 5 b/c he didn't have any LOC's or LOR's. To me, a firewall 5 troop is someone who knows and can perform their job inside and out, volunteers his/her *** off, scores above a 85% on the PT test, takes ay least one college course, and displays exemplary leadership/followership skills. THAT'S a solid Airman, thats a firewall 5. Leadership pisses me off when they get all amped about a 4 because they're scared of hurting the airman's chances of making SNCO ranks. It's like they really gotta be a dirtbag and you have to have loads of documentation to give them a 4 or lower. The only reason the new EPR is better in my eyes is because there is 4 less bullets you have to write, and they added the PT section. Other than that it's the same damn EPR.

I agree... I like how it is arranged into sections.. That's very nice! As far as the PT test goes, they should use the PT score percentage as points towards promotion. Like 15" of your score goes towards promotion..

I've got this POFS in our shop who got a FW 5.. He's a real mouthy FK who bitches about EVERYTHING he is given.. -He just re enlisted too.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Snootch
Never, ever, ever change a rating because your endorser does not agree....you can not be forced to make a change. If you feel that he was a 4, write a 4 and let your rater/endorser mark the "non concur" block and explain to the commander why.

I have heard it, and seen it, "if you dont change the rating, it will reflect in your EPR", I call bullshit, and I have an AFI to prove it.....don't get pushed around.

As far as 5's go, everyone wants to talk about firewall 5's....there are still markdowns that can be made and the overall rating still be a 5. Hell, half the young NCO's out there have no clue how to rate someone anyway, what you learn at ALS is BS that gives you a false sense of knowledge.

Jack
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
12 Second Club

EPRs are they a joke .... IMO yes..... Dont know about you all but just because you right a five, four or whatever doesn't mean that it is going to be that when the commander signs it...

I have not writen that many maybe 6-7 plus basically mine for the last three yrs. 4s,5s and even a 2.. 2 was a huge POS and had a PIF about as thick as all my CDCs combined.

Just cause you dont see it again doesn't mean it passes off the way you wrote it... I wrote a four last yr and never saw it again till it was finally through.. Low and behold it was a five... Its all corrupted in my opinion..

I think it would be better to do review boards instead and let the board make a choice on the outcome by looking at PIF and the way the person carries themself. Person can look perfect on paper but in person is a different story. Once the board makes the choice on the score (1-5) thats it.... If upper management wants to fix the inflated EPR system they need to be the ones to enforce it..

PT good idea on paper but was never thought out well... Big strong dude with a 40inch waist get a 70 while a pencil skinny punk gets a 90because he weighs all of 120 soaking wet...

Body fat comp. would not nes be better but atleast it would screw a bunch of people.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
NKAWTG...N

Yea the system is pretty terrible. But what else can they do? What other way of ranking can that assemble people in? I doubt the EPR system intended to have 5's used constantly...so that really means the people are at fault (big surprise there) for jacking it up.

I was mulling over it and maybe we should just rank everyone top to bottom in each shop. Just like class rank...
Old 09-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Yea the system is pretty terrible. But what else can they do? What other way of ranking can that assemble people in? I doubt the EPR system intended to have 5's used constantly...so that really means the people are at fault (big surprise there) for jacking it up.

I was mulling over it and maybe we should just rank everyone top to bottom in each shop. Just like class rank...
The only problem with that idea is shop size and even the jobs themselves. At some shops, even being in the top 10 would be an honor, where other places only the 1 and 2 guys are worth a ****.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EVERYBODY's a 5 - are you a HIGH or a LOW 5?

I loved the AF Times article a while back on PT. They broke it down by the numbers, and basically if you're skinny and can run a good time in the mile-and-a-half, you don't have to do but a few pushups and situps and still score with flying colors.

Our PTL tries to get us to do craploads of pushups and situps sometimes, but I just stop at 52. When questioned why I won't keep going, I tell him straight up, "the AF won't give me any more points or provide incentive to do any more, so as long as I can crank out 52 I'm satisfied."
Old 09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

it's not just the EPR system that is jacked up imo

is it true that it's easier to write a 5 EPR than writing anything else?

that is jacked up if that's true...i think someone said you have to have all the documentation of where the airman went wrong to deserve a 4.

it's funny how people i know are 5's cuz they volunteer, do college, don't get in trouble, suck a lil ****...they are a 5, and a BTZ candidate

but they can't do their job near as good as the other airmen..

when is the air force gonna stop focusing on extra activities and focus at the task at hand?

i think there should be someone in charge, maybe a personal trainer, that determines if you are over weight and/or in shape

i personally know a crap load of people in our unit that are complete fat asses and have never actually had to do a PT test or worry about having to pass it. they simply suck a lil dick and they pass and get a 5 EPR and continue to jack around at work.

i personally work hard at keeping in shape and do well on a PT test. yea i actually take the pt test and when people saw my score, they actually didn't believe i got that score...wtf

Quick Reply: USAF = Thoughts on Flawed EPR System..