Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Pararescue Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
Im pretty discouraged now! The guys you worked w/ do they have descent jobs now or did they get **** ones?
Don't be discouraged. We are making sure you know what to expect before you get into the thick of it. I'm not lying when I saw you HAVE to be 100% comitted to it or you will fail before you even start. The whole point of their training is to put you into some of the most stressful situations you'll probably ever encounter. I know during the EMT portion they make you throw an IV in someone with gunfire over your head and you have to attach a bag of salene (spelling) to it and firemans carry them out of a "warzone."

One of the best websites I found for workout routines is www.fatalfitness.com. It was started by a lot of TACP's. Some great advice in there.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Regular

[QUOTE=JUICED96Z;10058678]

One last thing, with SF, SEAL, ect ect after the school when you go to the tech school if you fail one or drop or whatever you can just go onto the next school and make up the other one later or do it then. With PJ/CCT its not like that, you have to pass the first time or most likley you are out of the program all together even though you are almost done. Look for a show called HALO I think it is, there was a PJ trainee on their they called the natural and they talk about how there is so much pressure on the PJ/CCT guys because of that.

I knew a guy that was a Green Beret and another one that was spec ops and both of them said that kind of life is for single people. The divorce rate for SEALS is threw the roof.

Good luck in whatever you do.

QUOTE]

HALO was a great show that showed how hard it is to really to recieved that badge. The CCT kid they had on there was uncanny with it though! It was like he did it before he even got to Bragg That Capt that was going for STO looked like crap when he was doing it.

And the divorce rate is high throughout any job where you can't talk about what your doing 180+ days out of the year
Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Im pretty discouraged now! The guys you worked w/ do they have descent jobs now or did they get **** ones?
it all depends on what you consider **** jobs...im Security Forces aka Air Force Cop.... we deploy out the *** everyone hates us and we get shitted on by everyone..but if you like working your *** off and deploying alot..or you like doing cop stuff...then you wont mind...but most washouts i talk to dont enjoy being in our career field but they dont have any choice..
Old 09-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the input and help guys
Old 09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for all the input and help guys
I seriously hope you go for it man if you think you can do it, DO IT
Old 09-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Teching In

best advice i've seen from guys that have made it through the tough schools is to take it one day at a time.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Launching!

Man I never expected so much good info, thanks guys. I have a question, do you guys in active duty and making careers out of the military think think down on people like me who are considering the ang? Am I still considered air force or not? I know I can still be deployed even in teh ang and that doesnt bother me. I want to serve my country but at the same time do whats best to help me reach my career goals.

I have been doing so much research for what I THINK I want to do which again is crna in healthcare. I talked to someone at a universtity and he told me that if I took a job in the military in the med field unless I was dealing w/ like icu stuff none of that would really matter as far as credits or anything. Granted the experience couldn't hurt.

I am also in severe debt and pending what I score on my asvab Im prob looking to get a job w/ the biggest sign on bonus and pay. This is IF I choose the ang and not pursue going in ft.

Also, what kind of benefits follow you if any when your time is up? My dad was a marine and he keeps telling me that I will be takin care of the rest of my life as far as medical. Is this true in either the ang or active?

Again, Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Launching!

Also, I haven't given up on the pararescu path im just still having a hard time deciding. And someone posted earlier that if you dont make it through your schooling or trainging for whatever job you choose you don't get your sign on bonus! Is this true?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Banned

Is this true?
Yes. Your signing bonus is paid upon completion of all technical training and arrival at your first duty station. If you don't make it, you don't get it.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jperran
Yes. Your signing bonus is paid upon completion of all technical training and arrival at your first duty station. If you don't make it, you don't get it.
makes sense eh?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Man I never expected so much good info, thanks guys. I have a question, do you guys in active duty and making careers out of the military think think down on people like me who are considering the ang? Am I still considered air force or not? I know I can still be deployed even in teh ang and that doesnt bother me. I want to serve my country but at the same time do whats best to help me reach my career goals.
Why would I? You are doing state required deployments as well as active duty deployments. If a Katrina happens, guess where your going regardless of where you live? Me on the other hand...we will go but not nearly as long as you will. And who cares, you are doing this for yourself not to appease anyone else. If your doing the military thing to make someone happy...you are in a for a RUDE awakening.

I have been doing so much research for what I THINK I want to do which again is crna in healthcare. I talked to someone at a universtity and he told me that if I took a job in the military in the med field unless I was dealing w/ like icu stuff none of that would really matter as far as credits or anything. Granted the experience couldn't hurt.
I can't speak on this at all, but I do know that most colleges won't take it simply for the fact your being taught how to treat victims in stressful situations. As a PJ your in a more tactical role than support role as say...the guy at flight medicine who takes my blood pressure every time I go and see the doc.

I am also in severe debt and pending what I score on my asvab Im prob looking to get a job w/ the biggest sign on bonus and pay. This is IF I choose the ang and not pursue going in ft.
If your just going to take a job with the highest sign on bonus, then don't even bother coming into the military. You do realize what you make for pay right? Traditional or part-time and even as a E-4 you will not be making "great" money. Honestly, you will come in with a sour taste in your mouth when you see how much of that bonus is taxed and how much money you make monthly. The reason a lot of us can afford the toys we have is because we have sacrificed other things or have been to the desert more times than we care to talk about.

Also, what kind of benefits follow you if any when your time is up? My dad was a marine and he keeps telling me that I will be takin care of the rest of my life as far as medical. Is this true in either the ang or active?
You can retire after 20 years of service and you will receive a certain portion of your pay. As active duty you get it right away, as Reserve or Guard you get it after your 65 (I believe). If you have any medical conditions that happen afterwards (i.e. loss of hearing, PTSD, etc) you will get a lovely little check from the VA that is to accommodate your medical expenses. But in order to get it, you have to make sure they document it in your records and all that jazz as well. Trust me I basically watched my urologist in Balad put on my records I had a 9mm kidney stone with no prior history of them and all that ****. I'm guaranteed at least 5% b/c of that lil bastard

Again, Thanks
no prob
Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM
Launching!

I am not doing this for anyone but myself to clarify. And if I do decide to go guard what is wrong w/ picking a job that is going to help me out in paying my bills and getting out of debt? For example, a recruiter here told me (pending I score high enough on asvab) I would make more every month if I took a job working on planes for example as opposed to doing something else like in med especially if it isn't going to benefit me in school. I was an auto tech for 4 years and decided it wasn't for me but I think I could handle it one weekend a month if it is going to help me out.

I know im not going to get rich from this, I just dont see how you can say dont bother? How is serving your country even if it is part time and helping yourself out financially and trying to help out your future plans wrong? I guess im trying to look at the big picture.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

All he was saying was that don't join for the money.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Junkie

its VERY HARD to get a SOF spot as NG. I wouldnt recommend it at all, I also dont recommend getting a job that you are settling on. If you want it sack the **** up and tell them you want it or you walk. There are other recruiters around that'll help you instead of helping themselves put random people into slots that need filling
Old 09-09-2008, 02:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1gen
its VERY HARD to get a SOF spot as NG. I wouldnt recommend it at all, I also dont recommend getting a job that you are settling on. If you want it sack the **** up and tell them you want it or you walk. There are other recruiters around that'll help you instead of helping themselves put random people into slots that need filling
Depends on where he lives and stuff. I know the Portland ANG always wants PJ's since they do a lot of SAR in the mountains over there. It all depends on where he lives really. But ya, its going to be difficult regardless. Best thing to do is exactly like you said....tell em you want it or your walking. They'll find a way.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Don't mean to sound stupid but what is sof? Special ops I assume? I didn't know it was possible to be a pj in the ang? Can you do just about any active duty job in the ang? How does that work?
And I know I asked this before but If your in the ang does that mean your in the air force or are you just ang? Just curious. AGAIN, thanks for all the great help!
Old 09-09-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Don't mean to sound stupid but what is sof? Special ops I assume? I didn't know it was possible to be a pj in the ang? Can you do just about any active duty job in the ang? How does that work?
And I know I asked this before but If your in the ang does that mean your in the air force or are you just ang? Just curious. AGAIN, thanks for all the great help!
SOF is special operations forces, I dont know if its possible to be PJ's in the ANG I was Army SF and I know there were a handful of guys that were NG. No idea how they got that spot, there are only 2 in the entire country the 19th and 20th but you should again check with an SF recruiter. If youre serious about it skip the regular recruiter and go online and there will be a POC for an SF recruiter.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1gen
SOF is special operations forces, I dont know if its possible to be PJ's in the ANG I was Army SF and I know there were a handful of guys that were NG. No idea how they got that spot, there are only 2 in the entire country the 19th and 20th but you should again check with an SF recruiter. If youre serious about it skip the regular recruiter and go online and there will be a POC for an SF recruiter.
Don't quote me on this but I think Portland, base in Mass (for the life of me I can't think of it but they do show the guy that was lost at see in the Perfect Storm movie), and I think there is one down in FL...those are the 3. But like I said don't quote me on it. All 3 might be reserves though...same different really
Old 09-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Launching!

yeah I was wondering what is the diff between the air reserves and the ang? And how would being in sof work part time?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, Thanks
ANG PJ or even TACP is pretty much still active duty hahahaha.

Quick Reply: Pararescue Advice