Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Pararescue Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pararescue Advice

I am at a crossroads and I was hoping I could at least get some thoughts from some people.
My original plan was to join the ang and go back to school to become a crna.
Now my recruiter told me about the pj's. I know it has a very high wash out rate, and is very difficult to make. I just wanna know how is the lifestyle, pay, etc.
The job itself LOOKS very rewarding and challenging. One thing I hate is the same old bull **** diff day routine and this doesnt' look like I would have that problem!
I know they hype it up, but is it really over glorified? I would love to experience some of these things but im at a point where I either go all out and try and make a career out of this or go back to school and hopefully get a well paying job w/ good security.
Thanks for any replies, Chris
Old 09-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Banned

The Pararescue program has the single highest wash out rate in the United States Military. You could be a world class Iron man athlete and it will still kick the **** out of you. The Indoctrination course at Lackland is 10 weeks of getting the ever loving **** smoked out of you all day long. After that you go to Airborne, Freefall, Dive, and Survival and Evasion schools. You then go a Medical course, then PJU, called "Superman School"

How hard Pararescue is is not over hyped at all. It's probably under-hyped, if you can believe that.

You are rewarded for it though. There's less than 400 of the ******* in the entire military. Graduating is an automatic promotion to E-4, and they rake in like $900 a month extra in special duty pay.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Launching!

So I take it you made it? Can you live a somewhat normal life or are you always gone preparing for a mission or something. Im thinking long tem i guess like when I have kids. I have also been told that by someone in the af that if you dont make it THEY pick your next job, but the recruiter assured me that wasn't true? If im not mistaken, once you join, if there isn't a base near your home you pretty much can kiss your friends and family bye? Don't get me wrong I would love to move to florida! Thanks again
Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

No, I never tried PJ, I just know a few things about them.

If you don't make it, you are usually given a list of available jobs. If you are a good guy they will try and get you want you want, if you are a shitbag they won't. Most guys go security forces or TACP if they can. The needs of the Air Force ALWAYS come first, but they try and accommodate you the best they can.

As far as assignments, you fill out a "dream sheet" of where you want to go (although I don't think PJ's have a whole lot of options) and once again the Air Force tries to accommodate you, but the needs of the AF come first. I'm from Tallahassee Florida and got stationed in Tacoma Washington, so yea, expect to be moving.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Launching!

so would you pretty much say you have no family life?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Launching!

once your stationed somewhere do you generally stay there or are you gonne be moving every four years? I guess thats what I mean by long term, if I have kids I dont want to have them movin all the time. Yea they would get to see alot of things but I want somethng more settle in the future.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Banned

PJ's spend a lot of time away from home, that's just the nature of the beast. When they aren't deployed they are on training trips or out rescuing dumbass civilians.

You usually stay at a base from 2 to 6 years in most career fields, not 100% about PJ's.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

1. In the military you and your family will move around every few years.
2. You will deploy overseas, PJ or not. You have to expect it with our tempo right now.
3. Any special operations position requires extra time on the job and away from the family. When they arent on missions they actively train, and train, and train.

Good luck if you think its for you, its tough.

Last edited by brad8266; 09-05-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Thanks for all the help man. My mind is racing on what to do! Try for a bad *** job or go pt in ang then back to school.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Teching In

www.specialtactics.com has all the info you're looking for.

there are other high speed jobs you can go for as well.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

if youre all about family SOF is not for you
Old 09-05-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
Thanks for all the help man. My mind is racing on what to do! Try for a bad *** job or go pt in ang then back to school.
Even in the ANG if you are in college you can be deployed, keep that in mind also.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

check out rotc if you wanna go to school
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99hugcam
I can tell you this. If you do not have the 100% motivation to do this job, you will fail out of it no matter what. So many ppl go into Spec Ops type training with the only thing in their mind about how badass they'll look in a scarlet, maroon, black, grey, green beret and how many chicks they'll get to rail. Go in with your mind set to help your people out and keep your mind open and you will get a lot farther than so many others will. To wear any beret outside of SFS in the Air Force is one of the greatest privledges an Airman can have.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:04 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys, im not doing it for the girls im trying to make a career desicion. I am leaning towards the ang and going to school. As far as job security goes I think I should be ok in healthcare.
If I do decide to go through w/ it I will give it my all for my country as I believe someone has to fight for all we have. People bitch alot but as far as im concerned I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.
Once again, thanks for all the help.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jperran
The Pararescue program has the single highest wash out rate in the United States Military. You could be a world class Iron man athlete and it will still kick the **** out of you. The Indoctrination course at Lackland is 10 weeks of getting the ever loving **** smoked out of you all day long. After that you go to Airborne, Freefall, Dive, and Survival and Evasion schools. You then go a Medical course, then PJU, called "Superman School"

How hard Pararescue is is not over hyped at all. It's probably under-hyped, if you can believe that.

You are rewarded for it though. There's less than 400 of the ******* in the entire military. Graduating is an automatic promotion to E-4, and they rake in like $900 a month extra in special duty pay.

ditto- i work with alot of the pj washouts and these guys are in excelllent shape...there is a better chance for hell to freeze over than someone makin it
Old 09-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Im pretty discouraged now! The guys you worked w/ do they have descent jobs now or did they get **** ones?
Old 09-06-2008, 04:38 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by 1gen
check out rotc if you wanna go to school
Being enlisted and going for PJ is hard enough. Its about 50 times harder to get CRO (PJ for Officers) out of ROTC. One guy from my ROTC detachment managed to get CRO. He was 3 or so out of 150 people who went for CRO. He is currently an O-3 and deploys like a ****.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
www.specialtactics.com has all the info you're looking for.

there are other high speed jobs you can go for as well.
Originally Posted by 1gen
if youre all about family SOF is not for you
Special tactics at least at ne poit in time had PJ/CCT instructors on the site...

Lots of good info on what to expect.

Its like everything in SOF, plan to be gone like all but 10 days of the year, plan to live not the typical AF life.

PJ school is a TON of swiming and runing. There is a series that Nation Geographic did on it called rescue warriors and is very good but a lot of people say its really sugar coated.

I was going to get in and go PJ but got married. I used to train with one of the instructors there.

There is also a GOOD PJ/CCT workout book that you can get that even the instructors recommend.

Unless you want PJ BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and its all you have ever wanted don't do it you won't make it. Ever wonder why a lot of those guys and SEALS ect ect are not your typical iron man looking guys? Tends to be smaller guys? Its because its all mental.

One last thing, with SF, SEAL, ect ect after the school when you go to the tech school if you fail one or drop or whatever you can just go onto the next school and make up the other one later or do it then. With PJ/CCT its not like that, you have to pass the first time or most likley you are out of the program all together even though you are almost done. Look for a show called HALO I think it is, there was a PJ trainee on their they called the natural and they talk about how there is so much pressure on the PJ/CCT guys because of that.

I knew a guy that was a Green Beret and another one that was spec ops and both of them said that kind of life is for single people. The divorce rate for SEALS is threw the roof.

Good luck in whatever you do.

-Former W-SAR team leader.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by StoleIt
Being enlisted and going for PJ is hard enough. Its about 50 times harder to get CRO (PJ for Officers) out of ROTC. One guy from my ROTC detachment managed to get CRO. He was 3 or so out of 150 people who went for CRO. He is currently an O-3 and deploys like a ****.

Good luck!
I was just talking about him doing ROTC for school not to go SOF

Quick Reply: Pararescue Advice