Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Which Credit Union?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which Credit Union?????

Navy Fed or Marine Fed????

Also can they do loan's and start of account if you don't live near one???? I mean lie paperwork and all that good stuff.Any help would be great.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Dude Unless its an EMERGENCY!! dont get a loan. Seriously. But if you do need one talk to your chain of command theres a loan you can get trough a private orgnzation i cant rember the name of it but its only for milatary ask about that. you can get a loan for upto 1000$ i belive it is. Do not i repeat DO NOT use Pioneer loans or Omni Loans there both a rip off. Also dont apply to anything online alot of scams/hacks that target Milatary personal (i.e Dumb or should i say Strong Privates) and spouses. i know theres an army emergency relief fund im shure theres one for each branch you just got to pay it back trough allotments which is easy and intrest free get the papers from your chain of command.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go to their web sites and sign up. They can service your account from anywhere in the world. USAA is another good place to check.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stocktonz28
Dude Unless its an EMERGENCY!! dont get a loan. Seriously. But if you do need one talk to your chain of command theres a loan you can get trough a private orgnzation i cant rember the name of it but its only for milatary ask about that. you can get a loan for upto 1000$ i belive it is. Do not i repeat DO NOT use Pioneer loans or Omni Loans there both a rip off. Also dont apply to anything online alot of scams/hacks that target Milatary personal (i.e Dumb or should i say Strong Privates) and spouses. i know theres an army emergency relief fund im shure theres one for each branch you just got to pay it back trough allotments which is easy and intrest free get the papers from your chain of command.
Ok thanks for the help. But I am in the reserves now and I was thinking of getting a loan through one of those credit union because I heard they have better apr. Don't worry bro I know what I am doing and not some 18 year old that just join the service. I am 27 and married with great credit LOL. Just trying to get a better deal that's all. Thanks for the advice and good looking out bud
Old 10-03-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gold Z
Go to their web sites and sign up. They can service your account from anywhere in the world. USAA is another good place to check.
Ok thanks I will check that out.Also do you know if since I don't live near any of there branch's would I get charged to take out money from other atm's at other credit unions???
Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 AM
12 Second Club

I would recommend USAA as well. Great service, free ATM fee's, you get paid one day earlier, and really good APR % rates for loans. They are a world wide back and you can do all of it on line if you would like. They even have programs where if you want to deposit a check or something you just scan it and upload the picture to their website. That's damn cool!
Tate
Old 10-03-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Navy Federal is the largest credit union in the US, and I believe the world. They have some of the best rates around and are usually pretty helpful when you have issues or questions.

Be careful who you choose for a bank these days...as alot of them are going under. But NFCU is the credit union the gov't turns to when they need another financial institution to be taken over.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Compg
I would recommend USAA as well. Great service, free ATM fee's, you get paid one day earlier, and really good APR % rates for loans. They are a world wide back and you can do all of it on line if you would like. They even have programs where if you want to deposit a check or something you just scan it and upload the picture to their website. That's damn cool!
Tate

Dang that does sound cool LOL.Thanks for the help
Old 10-03-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
Navy Federal is the largest credit union in the US, and I believe the world. They have some of the best rates around and are usually pretty helpful when you have issues or questions.

Be careful who you choose for a bank these days...as alot of them are going under. But NFCU is the credit union the gov't turns to when they need another financial institution to be taken over.
Ok thanks and I will look into the NFCU.Thanks again
Old 10-03-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

O About USAA they dont have atm fees of course but there car inshurence is DIRT CHEAP!.. 170 a month for liability on my 93 silverado and full covrage on my 00 Z28 with 54,XXX miles. There payment program is pretty simple to you can have it come stright out of your account or pay it online. Also you can have it set for the 1st or the 15th for it to come out of your bank or pay it anytime troughout the month when evers best. you can pay minimum~how much you owe on your 6 month or 1 year preimuim also im 21 so for you the rates will be MUCH cheaper. just another small peice of advice even if you only save 20-30$ with them anyone whos enlisted knows 30$s goes along ways
Old 10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1FASTBIRD
Dang that does sound cool LOL.Thanks for the help
USAA is a great institution. But as far as ATM fees....USAA doesn't have any because there aren't any USAA ATMs. Every other bank/c.u. has ATMs, and they usually charge people to use them if they aren't members, so USAA will refund up to like $10 or $15 per month in other branch ATM fees.

And the only problem I have with USAA is there isnt a physical location you can go to. There aren't USAAs on corners like there are WaMu or Bank of America, etc. So scanning a check is the only way to deposit it, short of mailing it to them.

Other than that, theyre great from what I hear. NFCU is what I got in bootcamp, and GEICO gave me cheaper car insurance rates. I now use Bank of America Military bank, but am getting rid of them very soon ( I do not recommend them at all...)
Old 10-03-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stocktonz28
O About USAA they dont have atm fees of course but there car inshurence is DIRT CHEAP!.. 170 a month for liability on my 93 silverado and full covrage on my 00 Z28 with 54,XXX miles. There payment program is pretty simple to you can have it come stright out of your account or pay it online. Also you can have it set for the 1st or the 15th for it to come out of your bank or pay it anytime troughout the month when evers best. you can pay minimum~how much you owe on your 6 month or 1 year preimuim also im 21 so for you the rates will be MUCH cheaper. just another small peice of advice even if you only save 20-30$ with them anyone whos enlisted knows 30$s goes along ways
Shoot bro it don't hurt to save any kind of money LOL.Thanks again for the help
Old 10-03-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
USAA is a great institution. But as far as ATM fees....USAA doesn't have any because there aren't any USAA ATMs. Every other bank/c.u. has ATMs, and they usually charge people to use them if they aren't members, so USAA will refund up to like $10 or $15 per month in other branch ATM fees.

And the only problem I have with USAA is there isnt a physical location you can go to. There aren't USAAs on corners like there are WaMu or Bank of America, etc. So scanning a check is the only way to deposit it, short of mailing it to them.

Other than that, theyre great from what I hear. NFCU is what I got in bootcamp, and GEICO gave me cheaper car insurance rates. I now use Bank of America Military bank, but am getting rid of them very soon ( I do not recommend them at all...)
So you still have the NFCU account???? I will have to see which bank will give me the best APR on my loan and see which bank would be good to open an account with.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

USAA and Navy Fed should be your only options. i have heard nothing but horror stories from my Marines using Marine Fed and FSNB.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cookba
USAA and Navy Fed should be your only options. i have heard nothing but horror stories from my Marines using Marine Fed and FSNB.
Thanks and I am checking those out right now.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ill have to say USAA as well. While they might not beat Geico or other insurance companies Ill GLADLY pay extra to actually talk to someone who understands what it means to serve.

I got my car loan through them and they were 2.75% LOWER then anybody else and it was SUPER easy to get.

Since I joined over two years ago I now have all my accounts with USAA except a credit card. Just cant beat the customer service.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

I still keep my NFCU accounts open bc they give me the lowest rates for cars and credit (whether it be unsecured loans, or credit card) and for security. Its hard business being a bank these days, and I dont forsee NFCU going under anytime soon...

The only thing i use NFCU for is my car and credit card. I went to BoA bc they have locations everywhere. I dont like not being able to walk into a branch if i need to.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Ill have to say USAA as well. While they might not beat Geico or other insurance companies Ill GLADLY pay extra to actually talk to someone who understands what it means to serve.

I got my car loan through them and they were 2.75% LOWER then anybody else and it was SUPER easy to get.

Since I joined over two years ago I now have all my accounts with USAA except a credit card. Just cant beat the customer service.
I had Gieco before i was paying 160 a month for liability on just my Z28 but it also had 39XXX miles back then when i bought it. But still USAA has the cheapest rates possiable for milatary personal. Becouse its only for milatary kinda like Gieco youst to be. But i pay 10$ more a month get full covrage and another vehicle on the list. cant beat that by any means.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

For my Formula and my wifes Solara its about 1600 a year for full coverage for both. The next closest was Geico with 1720 and then everybody else wanted over 2k.

I wouldnt skip over USAA just because they dont have a branch near you. What specifically do you need a physical branch for these days?? Everything you need done can almost be done by internet except for depositing straight cash.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bballr4567
For my Formula and my wifes Solara its about 1600 a year for full coverage for both. The next closest was Geico with 1720 and then everybody else wanted over 2k.

I wouldnt skip over USAA just because they dont have a branch near you. What specifically do you need a physical branch for these days?? Everything you need done can almost be done by internet except for depositing straight cash.
DAMN 1600 a year?? lol i hate being single and 21 at times... im paying $2040....no tickets no acidents ack im getting screwed...This is why i dident get the 2000 Vette for 16,000 with 42,XXX miles my car inshurence was gonna be 210 a month with gieco for liability...

Quick Reply: Which Credit Union?????