Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

dmh low profile cutouts + custom 3" Y on 99 SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dmh low profile cutouts + custom 3" Y on 99 SS

I have no time to know who is and is not vendors here anymore but Dave at DMH is one of the nicest "car" guys you can have the opportunity to deal with. He bailed me out of a bad situation with an unnamed vendor on here that took my money and was giving me the run around, nothing enough to make me want to bad mouth them but they were going to make me wait an additional couple weeks after a 2 month saga trying to gather parts for a build in early summer. I called Dave just to see if I could speed things up and get the cutouts from him directly and he wanted to know what I was doing and convinced me I wanted his new oval cutouts. Well he was right, they are not just for vetts, they save you needing a "T" which is usually not stainless and reduce the amount that hangs down by a couple or three inches. Now not everyone is going to want to pay for a custom Y but they will work with pre-made Y's as well.

Why a custom Y, because this is a daily driver, not a track car even though I take it to track for "Street night". I did not want to smell gas so I wanted cats, right after the beautiful American Racing Jet Coated Headers and before the cutouts and I wanted a full 3' merge pipe and only after that hook into the stock pipe back to the mufflers. I added an extreme cam (.614/.607 lift) to my recent build but had it cut to my specs from comp so it had exactly 0* overlap and when running thru the mufflers it is very hard to pick up that my car is cammed at all, that was on purpose. I own another "street" car a 600hp Cobra that brought too much attention to me, so this one was set up for stealth.

I missed the first opportunity to take pictures when I first picked up the car, I was so blown away I lost my mind even though I had a camera in my pocket. My SS is on a trailer now (destroyed the 10 bolt on the first pass with more HP) waiting on a new trick 9" Moser/Detroit Locker/4.11/35 spline/4 channel abs/ LCA lowered rearend from Driveline Soultions so I sucked it up and crawled under there to take some pictures for Dave's website and here they are. Keep in mind the last couple that give you the view from the side, because my car is on a trailer, you would have to be laying on the ground and looking under the car from a height of about 2", you can NOT see these things even when you lean over trying to see what is going on, the only thing that is visible is the coupling from my LS1 which is only zip tied until I finish tuning at the track and then I plug the headers until I do my next upgrade!

Last edited by 04snake; 10-07-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Here is the stealth switch setup in the ashtray

The SS was still on the trailer to haul it over to get the 9" installed Weds or Thurs, it is raining and is under a cover because I had to leave the wounded warrior outside so I got lazy and didn't add pictures of the switch setup but it is worth a look at my stealth install in the ashtray.

Here you go, the car is right from blowing the 10 bolt at the track! Notice the winch cable is still attached

Can you spot the LM-1 sitting on the floor for data-logging?

Switch on the left controls the line lock as shown the line lock is off, rocker back, the switch on the right controls both cutouts and was supplied with the dual control DMH setup.

Now the line lock is on, rocker forward, light on. That lighted switch I supplied, it is not what came with the line lock kit I got from Thunder but one of a few I had that matched the size of the quality one supplied by DMH. I have purchased dozens of switches, all shapes and sizes and most I wouldn't use. I did that and wasted 10 or 20 dollars to find exactly what I wanted for a custom 4 way switch plate I have on the Cobra for I/C recirculation pump, nitrous arming, bottle heater and to activate my cruise control switch so it becomes a line lock I can launch off the line with my left thumb. I have seen just about every type rocker switch available, Dave uses a very HD dual rocker rest at center type with a smooth feel and is all you need.

What do you think? Bye the way the DHM's cycle from full closed to full open and back again happens in less than 2 secs, I timed it. They are a work of art, call Dave, you won't be disappointed. The reason I wanted DMH is from what everyone here was saying when I was shopping for a cutout setup in May, after dealing with him in a pinch and then after installing the duals, I'm not sure why you would want anything else but everybody has their favorites I guess.

Last edited by 04snake; 10-07-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i've been wanting to buy one of his cutouts, but only reason i never did is becuase i'm just going to dump the 5inch downpipe out the right fender... lol no need for one.

but yeah i agree, his **** is QUALITY!

btw where did you get that shift ****?! that's crazy looking
Old 09-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Launching!

**** with 0 overlap you might not need cats to pass emissions lol.. looks very clean though.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by violent_celerity
**** with 0 overlap you might not need cats to pass emissions lol.. looks very clean though.
In upstate NY we don't have to pass a sniffer but they have started contacting people with sensors not reporting like the rear O2's, sneaky ba$tards. If they call me I will just act dumb but I took them out of the tune 2+ years ago in anticipation of this work that didn't happen as quick as I was hoping so I already had two inspections with n/a (not available). They can't go after the shop because no codes (he knew what I was doing) were kicked out so I am going to plug in and do the same next year. I gave up a little 6K+HP with 0* overlap but had all the same power under the curve below that plus the tuning at idle was a snap. You have decent vacuum so all I had to do is not let the idle drop to 800 (stock) until it is fully warmed up and adjust the sensitivity to idle changes to act a bit sooner. I was ready for a battle because my cam is significant but for once, no battle. This thing idles at 800rpm (knock on wood) with a gentle loap but I pay in other ways and with other part carnage, just glad the tuning for driveabilty was easy.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Weird looking cutouts....looks like a damn good setup though.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn that looks sick .. any pics of the car itself?
Old 10-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
damn that looks sick .. any pics of the car itself?
no need to repost, the first couple of hits are the stock version of this car and some stuff from my other POS that sits waiting on a motor rebuild.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8991142

some pictures, mostly movies from 2008 with mostly stock everything including clutch and 10 bolt I had to baby, with a lot of the normal "that aint shiet, Iv gone faster in reverse" type comments, normal stuff. No biggie I was happy with 12.92 with what I had done to it, I am hoping for low 12's once I get a proper rear now that I have a beefy RAM powergrip, we shall see I just miss going down the track.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

world wide premier, so to speak. Just a short clip from the garage, the sound thru the cutouts is too many decibles for the movie camera to deal with so it ends up clipping and compressing those parts, but you can get the idea. When I get down the track with them open, that will be the movie that will tell the tale of what they sound like.

for best results, right click and save as, then play the downloaded copy:

DMH_oval_cutouts.wmv

Here are some bonus pics of the new 9", like a drunken fool in a rush to down a six pack I forgot to tell the shop who installed to spritz a little hi-heat paint on the bad boy so instead I will have to spend 2 hours taping everything off and do it on my Fing back. Too many things going on, the WRX rotted out a rear strut while cornering at 75 and the spring took out a new Goodyear Eagle and stranded me at the same the parts came in for the 9" AND I realized I had to find a roofing contractor to replace my roof before winter. I didn't want to pay for the powder coating but I have to get something on that case so I F'd up again. Friggen thing really tightened up the feel when power shifting and I know some people don't like the sound of a locker, it ruin's their music experience but for me it is the only music I need. I still have a speed sensor not reporting:
[Brake] C0245 - Wheel Speed Sensor Frequency Error (History)
and they are both plugged in, probably collateral damage when the brake backing plates were swapped, who knows, I have to scan now to see which one, never ends.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:58 PM
formerly twolow02fransen (2014-1-2)

whats up with not painting it ? looks badass either way
Old 10-08-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Pretty clean under there. Not sure how much of an advantage 2 cutouts is over just one. Maybe a tich better flow, I suppose it might be a bit louder. Nice setup though.

I got a DMH myself
Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by twolow02fransen
whats up with not painting it ? looks badass either way
I said I F'd up, the plan was to squirt a little high-temp black on there when it was getting assembled but in the excitement and rush to get it in there ASAP, I forgot to tell the guy to do it. Track cars, real race cars don't run in the rain and salt and usually don't get painted, I want to drive it on days with maybe some moisture so I screwed up. Powder coating was way too expensive for a car that is not a dyno or show queen but since I will have this for a number of years it should have some protection.

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Pretty clean under there. Not sure how much of an advantage 2 cutouts is over just one. Maybe a tich better flow, I suppose it might be a bit louder. Nice setup though.

I got a DMH myself
I think it is like have Both true duals and a y which actually makes the car more low profile and stealth, just my 2 cents
Old 01-26-2010, 01:01 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the grave, but those low profile cutouts are slick!
Old 01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

And they are still working great and no clearance issues at all.

I have to take some more pictures, I got under there and painted the rear with black gloss rust inhibitor POR15. Looks better, the rear is protected now, it wasn't that hard, not that sloppy if I could have used a lift and it only took me a month to get that crap off my hands and body. I hate working on a car with stands on your back, I am getting too old for that $hit.

I was wearing gloves but it was dripping all down my arm and on my face, you don't want to get that stuff on you, I had to use a pumice stone to remove over time along with several layers of skin, I looked like a bank bag of money blew up in my hands for a week or so.

Speaking of that rear, it had to be rebuilt after a few hundred miles, the supposedly bullet proof DLocker grenaded. No one I have ever talked to knows of such a case. The center section came assembled and only needed to be put in the housing after installing the studs so it wasn't my fault. Eaton warrantied it but I was out for shipping, a new bearing set and had to pay a local shop to rebuild it and missed the final track day of the fall so I have yet to get down the track.

Modding cars is not for anyone with a weak stomach or easily stressed because it can cause you to burst a blood vessel.

Today after a January thaw of my long inclined driveway in NY I got a chance to drive the SS to work for the first time in a month. I had forgot how much fun this car is now with the cam and headers, that is why I put myself through the pain but it certainly not for everyone.

Quick Reply: dmh low profile cutouts + custom 3" Y on 99 SS