Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

My son's AWD Eagle Talon Drag car

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shepherd Trans 4 spd. Dogbox w/EVO8 Input shaft & Welded diff.

This is the 10.6 car. Street driven. It's gone 11.0X's on pump and radials.

Almost picked this up a few yrs. back for $15K. However certain mods to the structure
prohibited the car from competing in certain classes that we run in.

Last edited by Blue72; 11-05-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Teching In

He almost bought the white car. However I guess the car had some structural pieces removed(rad. support/cross members) which enabled the car from entering in certain classes that my son races in. It was a steal at $15K,but you would have had to run the car in a very fast class. Too fast for that car!

The other pics are pretty random. Sorry,we're both pretty computer illiterate. Just thought this was a little easier posting them all at once,lol.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

it looks like shaun ivey's old car
Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Street driven car? Looks like a nice, clean car.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by twokss
it looks like shaun ivey's old car
Yes,it is.
No offense to Sean. Great guy,but thats exactly why the Iveytune stickers have been taken off.lol
The car was purchased as a rolling chassis with the Haltech,J&S Safegaurd,MSD coils & ign.,DSS driveshaft,and GC coil-over suspension. Everything else has been built and assembled by myself.
I'm not cheap,but I usually put a budget on most of my projects. However on this car I've pulled out all the stops.This car has roughly $60K invested in it from top to bottom. It's not cheap when trying to build something fast but keep it looking like a street car and run well enough to drive around town.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Street driven car? Looks like a nice, clean car.
Yes,and thats why it was not cheap to build. If I were only using this car for the track I would have already filled the block and been running methanol.
There are other things as well that wound up being a lot more expensive due to the type of application. Like the Weldon 2345A fuel pump. Sean ran twin Bosch 044's. Good for up to 1,600whp (800 each) I opted for a single pump capable of 2400hp on EFI and over 1100 on meth.Another thing,lots of guys say solid lifters are needed on these motors to obtain optimal valvetrain operation. However with a slightly modified oiling system and the right parts not only can the OEM HLA's operate well up to an obscene rpm,but this modification also increases oil flow to the bearings thus prolonging engine life. These are just examples of the little things that were incorporated into this build. All of them together make it possible for this little 122ci inline 4 cylinder motor to make over 200hp per cylinder safely.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Launching!

Thats a pretty badass setup man. Thats one hell of a car you have their.

A friend of mine found a complete 1st gen AWD talon tsi in a junk yard about 2 years back. He put a new battery in it and it started right up so he paid $400 for it and drove it out the yard. Back at his house he was looking in it and in the glove box it he had the original owners manual AND the window sticker back from 1992 which was $39,XXX. Can you believe this car had a MSRP of right under $40,000 back in 1992? That blew my mind. Anyway he ended up selling it for like $2k a few months later.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R W B
Thats a pretty badass setup man. Thats one hell of a car you have their.

A friend of mine found a complete 1st gen AWD talon tsi in a junk yard about 2 years back. He put a new battery in it and it started right up so he paid $400 for it and drove it out the yard. Back at his house he was looking in it and in the glove box it he had the original owners manual AND the window sticker back from 1992 which was $39,XXX. Can you believe this car had a MSRP of right under $40,000 back in 1992? That blew my mind. Anyway he ended up selling it for like $2k a few months later.
$39,000???!!!!.....I'm just having a hard time believing that they cost that much back in 1992.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Boo"SS"t
$39,000???!!!!.....I'm just having a hard time believing that they cost that much back in 1992.
They definitely didn't. All of the 1g's were under 20k I think.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...ms&modelid=884

According to that website, even the awd ones were 17k.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RawrImAMonster
They definitely didn't. All of the 1g's were under 20k I think.

http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...ms&modelid=884

According to that website, even the awd ones were 17k.
I have the original sticker for a few of my 1G's that I've owned for a while. They were in the $20K's for an AWD turbo model with leather,but not anything close to $39K.
Leather was a $3K option on certain models.
I've priced leather seating from the dealer in the past......$4,500 and they no longer stock them.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:49 AM
Teching In

The second gens shot up in price quite a bit after 95'.
It's getting harder and harder to find an all original 1G in mint condition. I've seen a few 91' and 92' TSi's with fair mileage going for upwards of $7,000. Thats pretty good for a 17yr old car.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Buschur Racing had a blue 91' AWD TSi in mint cond. with some light mods for $6,500. The car was fairly stock with a few upgrades and a new motor with BR's head and block package. But still,it looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Teching In

cool car man. i know it has been mentioned a few times in this thread but you really should consider going auto if you already haven't. one of my personal friends and i travel all over the country racing his auto AWD 1G. he is the 2 time IFO (import faceoff) points champ and about to make it a 3rd. here is a vid of his car just to give you an idea of how efficient it is. its also a 9.4X car that is about to see a bump in power to take it deep into the 8's. whats the fastest your car has gone since youve owned it?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Teching In

No track time yet. Car is going to Iveytune to be tuned in a few days. Sean is confident the car will make more than enough power to put the car deep into the 8's
It's not a bracket car.I run Sport RWD. I just could'nt go auto in this car.I run a Shepherd Dogbox w/PPG gearset. http://www.sheptrans.com/dogbox/index.htm
My perticular trans. has a few extra options. (Welded diff, EVO8 input shaft, 4 speed)
I can shift at WOT with no clutch at high rpm with no issues.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

my buddy is gonna love it when i show him this. he has an eclipse awd in the tens. but like someone said. sumthin is allways broke.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by imola740i
my buddy is gonna love it when i show him this. he has an eclipse awd in the tens. but like someone said. sumthin is allways broke.
Yeah,I hear that all the time. They are definately not Chevy motors thats for sure. These cars when built correctly can be a lot of fun. But for guys that are use to domestic V8 applications these cars can be a PITA.
Once you start making good power the clutch needs to be upgraded. Than once you start hooking up,the gearbox and transfer cases become an issue. It's a domino effect. When done in stages these cars always seem to be breaking parts. However,I learned early on what it took to build a fast,"reliable" DSM. So I've built every one since in one shot. Though they are not cheap to build,but you can run 12's with them for under $5,000. Once you start going faster than high 11's it can get a little more expensive. I've built several DSM's over the past 10 yrs. Among them were 2x daily driven 11 sec 1G Talons and a 10 second daily driven 1G AWD. I had under $10K each in the 11 sec cars and just under $20K in the 10 sec car. However,the price more than doubled when I set out to build an 8 sec Talon.
Honestly though,I don't think there is any "cheap" way to build an 8 sec car.
DSM or not. I mean the safety equipment alone is a few thousend dollars.

Quick Reply: My son's AWD Eagle Talon Drag car