Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

top gear zr1 vs r8

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did he actually lick the steering wheel of the r8? wow. The vette is obviously the winner if you want to go drifting, and who doesn't like drifting?
Old 11-25-2009, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

The ZR1 is not a super car.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by joker machine
Supercar looks, speed, sound, fun, etc = supercar. Does it not require enough maintenance for you?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

hadn't seen that one yet! awesome, both are monsters!
Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Explain why it isn't.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:43 AM
***Repost Police***

I can understand why he says it isn't a supercar, and I SOMEWHAT agree with him. Not too deep down inside, it's still a Corvette. No matter how badass a Corvette it is. You can't "make" a supercar, it has to just be one. So to a lot of people, the ZR1 is just a great Corvette. And the Corvette isn't a supercar, no matter how well it performs.

Last edited by Irunelevens; 11-26-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

So what makes a supercar?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok.... GM has a "sports car" that whoops up on Supercars...

Ive always considered the ZR1 AND the Z06 GM's Supercars..
Old 11-26-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
He pointed out shortcomings, and then said it would be the one he would buy. How is that "******* out?"
Yea like thats the first episode of top gear I ever saw. Those guys beat up every american muscle car they test..Go take your Honda for a spin
Old 11-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ZR-1 makes 500+ hp to the tires, weighs 3300lbs, has 15 inch brakes, and hangs with the GT-R and ACR in the ring. It's a supercar.

I'd like to see anyone here (minus the pro road-racers) do it any better.
Than clarkson? I'm pretty sure I can make it through a few turns without going sideways. And I'm quite sure that I would catch the R-8 on that track..

Last edited by GTOSE; 11-26-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:11 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Yea like thats the first episode of top gear I ever saw. Those guys beat up every american muscle car they test..Go take your Honda for a spin
They beat up on them because compared to their European counterparts most of them have a reputation for being shoddily made. There is a REASON that the Corvette can be bought for ~$40k. There is nothing WRONG with that of course, but the materials used and craftmanship is expected to be at a lower standard than something that costs $100k+. Did you not see the seatbelt grommet (for lack of a better word) come off while he was driving?
Originally Posted by Viscious
The ZR-1 makes 500+ hp to the tires, weighs 3300lbs, has 15 inch brakes, and hangs with the GT-R and ACR in the ring. It's a supercar.

Than clarkson? I'm pretty sure I can make it through a few turns without going sideways. And I'm quite sure that I would catch the R-8 on that track..
Ok, you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am in no way saying that the ZR1 isn't a super car. I'm saying I can understand why some people think that it isn't a "supercar." A car's capabilities aren't the only thing that determines what it's classified as. If that were the case, I'm sure I could build a foxbody Mustang or 3rd/4th gen Camaro into a "supercar" as well. The fact that you can go buy a regular Corvette for a third of the price of a ZR1 lowers the prestige/glamour a bit, and regardless of what you or I think that is part of being a "supercar."
Old 11-27-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They beat up on them because compared to their European counterparts most of them have a reputation for being shoddily made. There is a REASON that the Corvette can be bought for ~$40k. There is nothing WRONG with that of course, but the materials used and craftmanship is expected to be at a lower standard than something that costs $100k+. Did you not see the seatbelt grommet (for lack of a better word) come off while he was driving?
Christ... You do know that was staged right? Top gear does **** like that all the time, and this is why I sometimes hate it, a lot of dumbasses actually believe what they say...
Clarkson goes out of his way to find things about American cars to bash. The Corvette's rear bumper for example is built like that for a reason, its not cost cutting engineering. The bumper of the Ferrari 360 modena does the same thing, yet you would never see him mention (or care to mention) it because its not American.
When driving hes going out of his way to drift the car because its entertaining and funny, yet so many dumbasses actually believe thats the way the car drives...
Old 11-27-2009, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Christ... You do know that was staged right? Top gear does **** like that all the time, and this is why I sometimes hate it, a lot of dumbasses actually believe what they say...
Clarkson goes out of his way to find things about American cars to bash. The Corvette's rear bumper for example is built like that for a reason, its not cost cutting engineering. The bumper of the Ferrari 360 modena does the same thing, yet you would never see him mention (or care to mention) it because its not American.
When driving hes going out of his way to drift the car because its entertaining and funny, yet so many dumbasses actually believe thats the way the car drives...

finally.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree, they go entirely out of their way to make any american car look like garbage. That seat belt guide didnt just break for no reason
Old 11-27-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just love the lion and jelly comment! - so true. . .
Old 11-27-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
I agree, every episode I've seen with them driving an American car they always have a ton of bad things to say about them. He mentions how the vette drifts a lot and the R8 doesn't, but I think I heard him say that the R8 is an all wheel drive, isn't it? This would explain why the R8 doesn't really spin out as much.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, you are misunderstanding what I am saying. I am in no way saying that the ZR1 isn't a super car. I'm saying I can understand why some people think that it isn't a "supercar." A car's capabilities aren't the only thing that determines what it's classified as. If that were the case, I'm sure I could build a foxbody Mustang or 3rd/4th gen Camaro into a "supercar" as well. The fact that you can go buy a regular Corvette for a third of the price of a ZR1 lowers the prestige/glamour a bit, and regardless of what you or I think that is part of being a "supercar."
I was talking to the other guy man. That's why I quoted him.

And I agree with the above that top gear is staged. But honestly, that's why they also have the stig throw the cars around that track, because they speak for themselves in that respect.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

i dont care what anyone says ill take the zr1 and anyone else can have the r8 and if we run into each other on the street you know whats going to happen? A DRAG RACE im sorry but no one races around corners on the street its always going to be stop light to stop light or highway pulls...ill take the wild v8 beast "lion" any day and please dont lick my zr1 you bloody brit! And what the hell did he mean by if only America could win thier wars so convincingly? DOUCHE BAAAAGG!!!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hcb1700
I agree, every episode I've seen with them driving an American car they always have a ton of bad things to say about them. He mentions how the vette drifts a lot and the R8 doesn't, but I think I heard him say that the R8 is an all wheel drive, isn't it? This would explain why the R8 doesn't really spin out as much.
Either I missed it or it wasn't mentioned, but I didn't hear him point out the fact that the R8 is AWD vs the ZR1 being RWD...... I was laughing on the inside when he said the ZR1 doesn't corner like the R8...to me it was a bit of a no brainer as to why but I knew before hand the R8's are AWD
Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't view the video at work, and I already know who won. I think the Z06 is a fairer comparison for the R8.

IDK if it means anything to anyone, but on FM3 the Z06 is quicker every time i drive it.

And don't let them Europeans bother you so much, and if you hate American cars so much then just pay double or triple for your creature comforts. I don't really care about that stuff, so I'll take my subpar American cars that are more reliable depending on the car. And even if i do have to fix a few things here and there, it's still be cheaper in the long run depending on what you get.