Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

OK that was stupid Top Gear Camaro SS vs E63 AMG????

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disagree with people saying that this season isn't as good as the last ones.

I think this one is shaping up to be one of the best seasons...
Old 07-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by w3s1c0a5t
Your a moron.

Wanna see a ZR1 vs the AMG? No? Is it because they are in no way close in performance class or cost?

Theirs you a german muscle vs american muscle episode.

Btw I haven't seen any of the top gear or really care to. This was just a tool of a post.
Your = possessive (ex: Your grammar sucks.)
You're = You are (ex: You're proving yourself to be a jerk.)

Theirs = possessive (ex: It's not your show, it's theirs.)
There's = there is (ex: There's another example of you proving yourself as a jerk.)

Other than that, you need to capitalize and add an apostrophe wherever you see red. But thanks for showing everyone in this thread your superior intellect and why you calling someone else a moron is ironic.

Seriously, quit being an internet tough guy and calling people names.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
I disagree with people saying that this season isn't as good as the last ones.

I think this one is shaping up to be one of the best seasons...
I haven't seen the whole third and up episodes yet, but it's the first time that I think they are a bit boring. I watched countless episodes of Top Gear, and love it...the 13. & 14. Season where _very_ good...Bolivia, Steam train race, Geoff, ZR-1, Bathurst, Romania, etc....and I think they are now running out of ideas.
Seriously, a Reliant Robin? When I was a kid I had a three wheeler and I knew it sucked. I thought it was common knowlegde that three wheelers have problems, but apparently it is not. From the icelandic vulcan are far better vids out there, the challenge with the BMW, Merc and Ford Sierra pushed my hopes up in the beginning, but the ending was too predictable in my eyes and the challenges were a bit lame. As far as I can remember, they did only one **** joke while being in germany - how lame is that for Top Gear? I expected lots and lots of "Don't mention the war", hitler jokes etc...

And as I was starting the third episode I was shocked to see the Panamera again...I can't stand this abomination. And why did they choose a six year old Maserati instead of a Mercedes? That was the first time for me that I couldn't be bothered to watch a segment on TOP GEAR, the best TV Show in the world. And therefore, to make this season one of the best, they better start shooting a road trip to the Mars.

(this is all just my opinion)
Old 07-14-2010, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wolfsblut
I haven't seen the whole third and up episodes yet, but it's the first time that I think they are a bit boring. I watched countless episodes of Top Gear, and love it...the 13. & 14. Season where _very_ good...Bolivia, Steam train race, Geoff, ZR-1, Bathurst, Romania, etc....and I think they are now running out of ideas.
Seriously, a Reliant Robin? When I was a kid I had a three wheeler and I knew it sucked. I thought it was common knowlegde that three wheelers have problems, but apparently it is not. From the icelandic vulcan are far better vids out there, the challenge with the BMW, Merc and Ford Sierra pushed my hopes up in the beginning, but the ending was too predictable in my eyes and the challenges were a bit lame. As far as I can remember, they did only one **** joke while being in germany - how lame is that for Top Gear? I expected lots and lots of "Don't mention the war", hitler jokes etc...

And as I was starting the third episode I was shocked to see the Panamera again...I can't stand this abomination. And why did they choose a six year old Maserati instead of a Mercedes? That was the first time for me that I couldn't be bothered to watch a segment on TOP GEAR, the best TV Show in the world. And therefore, to make this season one of the best, they better start shooting a road trip to the Mars.

(this is all just my opinion)
I can't explain why they chose the Quatraporte. That was also pretty confusing. Frankly, the E63 or an S65 would have been perfectly suited for that comparison. Maybe they didn't think it was "special" enough though.

I enjoyed the Reliant Robin shenanigans honestly. The Merc, BMW, and Ford tests could have offered more, but I still enjoyed it. I did expect them to do something outrageous like they normally do with those types of cars, but I guess they couldn't think of anything.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toneloc60
Your = possessive (ex: Your grammar sucks.)
You're = You are (ex: You're proving yourself to be a jerk.)

Theirs = possessive (ex: It's not your show, it's theirs.)
There's = there is (ex: There's another example of you proving yourself as a jerk.)

Other than that, you need to capitalize and add an apostrophe wherever you see red. But thanks for showing everyone in this thread your superior intellect and why you calling someone else a moron is ironic.

Seriously, quit being an internet tough guy and calling people names.
Stick to english you know clearly more than you know about cars. Maybe you should try grammartech.com? Maybe they will side with you on "cam only".
Old 07-14-2010, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Stick to english you know clearly more than you know about cars. Maybe you should try grammartech.com? Maybe they will side with you on "cam only".
What do you have, do or know that gives you such arrogance?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just young and rude I guess. When people come on a ls tech website and have been here for 5 years and dont seem to know simple things and then try and correct the grammar as if that makes them less ignorant,well... they tend to get made fun of.

If you had read the post I quoted you would have seen the guy was acting like a dumbass. Hence I called him a moron.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:57 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Im pretty sure no one ever thought that American cars of the past 30 years were "world class", and mostly because no one cares. No ones saying they are world class so why are you saying they should be? Until recently the vast majority of American car sales were here, in America. So why should they be built for any one else? I'm all for better build quality and reliability but this is (and often is) just stupid. Compare cars of the same class which were meant to compete with each other. No one looking to buy a $30,000 Camaro is also looking at an $80,000 Mercedes, just as is no one looking at an $80,000 Mercedes is looking at $30,000 cars.

Many times Tops Gear's jokes are funny but what gets irritating is that Top Gear goes completely out of their way to try and make American cars (and Americans in general) look bad, and there are many many morons that believe every word they spew. The infamous example of the Corvette's rear bumper flexing is a perfect example. It was purposely engineer to do that, its not in any way, shape, or form being "cheap". Ever touch the rear bumper of any Ferraris? They do the exact same, but you will never hear Top Gear mention anything about this because they don't go out of their way looking for things that are not there with their fanboy cars.
It can almost be taken as a complement they they have to go so far to show up an American bargain performer...
Totally missed my point. And you clearly aren't part of Top Gear's demographic. Just because they have two cars in a test doesn't necessarily mean they are comparing them to see which one is better. They make this show to have fun. They did an episode where they ran a Ford Fiesta and a Corvette through a shopping mall for God's sake. And then they took a Fiesta and "stormed the beaches" with it. And as far as you saying, "we only sell them here so why should they be world class," THAT is the reason American cars were pieces of **** for so long. Because of apathetic attitudes like that.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Just young and rude I guess. When people come on a ls tech website and have been here for 5 years and dont seem to know simple things and then try and correct the grammar as if that makes them less ignorant,well... they tend to get made fun of.

If you had read the post I quoted you would have seen the guy was acting like a dumbass. Hence I called him a moron.
Hey man, all I'm saying is you don't have to act like that. Someone else being a dumbass doesn't mean you have to call him a moron.

I've said plenty of dumb ****. I can admit that. Thankfully, a lot of times, people have had the grace to correct me without doing things like calling me a moron.

Oh, and about the assumption of what I don't know, well, if I don't know think it would represent my character very well to try to prove anything to you about that. But, I do love to talk about my car if you're ever interested.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the fact that Top Gear ran the Camaro against that AMG should be taken as a compliment... and in the end, Richard said he's still rather have the Camaro.

Jeremy was never going to like the 2010 Camaro no matter what it was compared to. And to be honest if I had the money to spend I'd rather have that Benz. It's just too ******* pimp.

Also, I always have to wonder, when is GM going to give their V8 cars a proper exhaust note? A stock Corvette has the same exhaust note as a Toyota Camry... none. But Mercedes gives their luxury sedan a badass exhaust note, why can't GM make their muscle cars sound like, well, muscle cars?
Old 07-14-2010, 03:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Latch
Also, I always have to wonder, when is GM going to give their V8 cars a proper exhaust note? A stock Corvette has the same exhaust note as a Toyota Camry... none. But Mercedes gives their luxury sedan a badass exhaust note, why can't GM make their muscle cars sound like, well, muscle cars?
This ...

Don't get me wrong, I've loved my LS-powered cars, and LOVE the sound of my LSX. However, I really felt the GEN I and GEN II small blocks sounded better. Maybe it's just me.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:29 PM
***Repost Police***

When my mom got her stock '01 Z51/6spd Targa, and I had my bolt-on '01 GT, I definitely envied her... but mine still sounded 1000% better
Old 07-15-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Totally missed my point. And you clearly aren't part of Top Gear's demographic. Just because they have two cars in a test doesn't necessarily mean they are comparing them to see which one is better. They make this show to have fun. They did an episode where they ran a Ford Fiesta and a Corvette through a shopping mall for God's sake. And then they took a Fiesta and "stormed the beaches" with it.
While I certainly am not a euro-snob, I would consider myself somewhat apart of their demographic considering Ive watched (and enjoyed) almost all the episodes they've made, including the Corvette vs Fiesta shopping mall race.

And as far as you saying, "we only sell them here so why should they be world class," THAT is the reason American cars were pieces of **** for so long. Because of apathetic attitudes like that.
Completely missed my point
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 PM
***Repost Police***

Which was?
Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Launching!

Top Gear is really just for entertainment. Cant really take there comments about cars seriously, as its usually just a joke or being sarcastic. Only thing that's really fair performance wise is The Stig's lap times. IMO its by far the best car show on TV.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Great episode. If you let their jokes get to you, you probably have a pretty sad life. They were comparing a N/A 6.2L car to another N/A 6.2L car. I think that's pretty fair. CTS-V and ZR1 are supercharged. ZR1 also weights 1,000 lbs less. It's not the Germans fault that Americans need to supercharge the same displacement engine to develop the same power levels. Either way, the Benz looks to be superior in handling too so even if the camaro had the LSA in there it would have lost. 5th gen looked like it weighed 300lbs more going around turns. AMG even beat a C6 vette by 2 seconds. Is that closer in price range for you? Same LS3 engine, 600lbs less and still whooped it.

Don't like the show, don't watch it. You're not hurting their ratings by not downloading the torrents.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Which was?
No matter how "good" an American car is, Europeans will not like it. They want certain things that we don't want, and visa versa. (cup holders are a perfect example).
Old 07-18-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another fail post...
Originally Posted by Dom
Great episode. If you let their jokes get to you, you probably have a pretty sad life. They were comparing a N/A 6.2L car to another N/A 6.2L car. I think that's pretty fair.
Completely fair, wait expect the Benz is engineered to be an $80,000 performance luxury coupe (and obviously has a much larger budget to put into the car) while the Camaro is engineered to be a $30,000 Muscle car competing with the likes of a the Mustang, Challenger and arguably the G37, and BMW 3 series coupe.
Oh yea, and the fact that displacement is completely irrelevant in comparing anything about cars. Should we also throw in Ford's F150 Raptor as well, since it has a 6.2L NA V8?
What matters is what class the car is in, which is very much so based around price.

CTS-V and ZR1 are supercharged. ZR1 also weights 1,000 lbs less. It's not the Germans fault that Americans need to supercharge the same displacement engine to develop the same power levels.
More flawless logic...
Its not GM's fault that the Germans need 1,000 more pounds to make the same power
I guess its not blatantly obvious to you so I will spell it out for you, GM didn't need a supercharger to make 640hp, they chose to make "just" 640hp with that particular setup. Your kidding yourself if you think that setup is near its limits, or that GM couldn't simply use better flowing heads, exhaust, and a larger cam to make more power. Fact of the matter is they only WANTED 426hp for the Camaro, no more.

Either way, the Benz looks to be superior in handling too so even if the camaro had the LSA in there it would have lost. 5th gen looked like it weighed 300lbs more going around turns.
And again, it doesn't matter because these cars are no where near the same class.
AMG even beat a C6 vette by 2 seconds. Is that closer in price range for you? Same LS3 engine, 600lbs less and still whooped it.
No, its still not near the price enough, how about the (still cheaper) Z06? Its 2 seconds quicker...

See, this very post above is the exact reason I was talking about earlier. People are taking this supposed "joke" Top Gear is presenting and taking it seriously.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's entertaining to see the denial on this site. I don't like seeing my team bashed either, but the MB spanked the SS.
American cars are critiqued the same as any other vehicle. You just don't like the harsh truth. If GM charges "Xxxxx$" for a vehicle and puts plastic ***** and cheesy attention getting gimmicks, it'll be pointed out, aka clear motor window in zr1's hood, the rear 'plastic' fascia and road noise of the vettes. Slam the door on a 80's 90's 911 and it still feels/sounds solid as a rock. Jeremy hates Porsche, but still gives credit where it's due. GM makes fantastic cars for the money, but there are many points that need critiquing, you just don't like to hear it. Open your mind, it's what makes us human. Imperfections.
Didn't TG vote an american company as "The Best Auto Manufacturer" for 2009?

The show can be biased, but it's for entertainment, get over it, lighten up, this is tv. And lots of the time TV sucks because they need to dumb it down for the general public. Between these two vehicles, whether you think it was a fair comparison or not, the MB took it. Think twice when you see that 3 letter moniker on the 4 door.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone know where i can watch this? they took it off youtube

Quick Reply: OK that was stupid Top Gear Camaro SS vs E63 AMG????