Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

1/24 Scale Trans Am Project/Peterbilt Custom Transport

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is no where near as good looking as yours, i kind of lost my skills with tiny pieces so i broke like exhaust pieces and small engine components and i cant seem to fit my hands where i used to... Tail lights keep slipping when i try to put them in and whatnot... Plus i lost my model glue so i was using Gorilla Glue for a while lol
Old 12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Launching!

Did a little work on my camaro tonight and got it this far:

Still need to work on the clean up a little and the interior needs to be installed and i need to work on the paint a bit, i realized that cuz the car has been sitting in the box over two house moves now i lost some pieces so i glued the hood shut cuz most of the engine components are missing lol

Here are a few of the other cars i did in the past year or so...

I am going tomorrow to look for an F body preferably a camaro but a TA will work if i cant find either i will settle for a Vette Either way i need some more tools
Old 12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Ok so I bought a camaro yesterday and I already got moat of it together (will post pics later) but here is my question... I made the mistake of painting the body with a brush now it looks like ****... It's all runny and you can see brush marks and whatnot... Any ideas of how to fox this without ruining anything? I painted the bumpers and hoodthe same way and they came out fine... Maybe I just suck? Lol
Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Easy Off Oven Cleaner will strip the paint back to the bare plastic. Only let it sit a little while as it will eventually eat the plastic too. Then lightly sand the body and body parts.
Wash them with lots of water and dish soap to remove any of the Easy Off and use spray primer and paint this time, go in light coats and you can't go wrong!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Now i already have my mirrors and spoiler glued on is it going to eat through that glue?

I am going to hobby lobby in a few to get an airbrush kit, just a cheap on so i can make it look decent. i googled some hobby car model forums or something like that and there is a site that does some REALLY nice CUSTOM stuff! I didnt think that was possible with these little cars but i guess it is lol
Old 12-09-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No it shouldn't...just the paint. FWIW you can really top quality results with a regular spray can. Learning to airbrush is NOT easy.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that's awesome. I've always kept away from the late-model cars because the motors and what not didn't seem as fun to jack with.... If I would have or were to ever build one, I'd hope it be as nice as this one!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by skimms98
No it shouldn't...just the paint. FWIW you can really top quality results with a regular spray can. Learning to airbrush is NOT easy.
Yeah i know im like a pro at rattle canning lol i painted all the other models i have ever done with a rattle can and even my daily driver

I figured if i got good enough with an airbrush on model cars i could step it up and do my hood on my car sometime

UPDATE: Ran in to another problem, my tail lights... When you glue your tail lights on you can see the glue through the tail lights and it gives it a "Hazy" look if you will. I decided i am going to "VHT" my tails on my model just like my car I am also considering doing the Whistler mod to my model as well as painting my fogs yellow. The interior is taking some time as well as the suspension components, i somehow (Maybe it was my cat idk) broke half of my axle on the right rear of the car so hopefully the glue holds on that or else i will be buying a donor kit and re-making the entire rear end.

I will try to get some pics up of my progress tonight, if anyone has any ideas or input they would like to see im all ears! Im sure between the two of us doing this we are gonna have something crazy by the time we finish... Im considering ACTUALLY WORKING lights and possibly adding a real "Motor" as kind of an RC car type thing, they can be picked up at your hobby store for like $5 so if i can figure out how to make it work i think its going to happen. HID's FTW!

Oh and Zac HobbyLobby is having a sale on model kits if you have one near by it might be worth it to pick one up, i found the more work i did on this the more i learned about my car and the more i paid attention to detail. As opposed to all the other cars i did, i didnt have one in real life so i just threw it together like the directions said! When its your car you kind of get off track and start doing "Custom" work to it lol
Old 12-09-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice! I'm getting a 1/24 35th ss for christmas from my gf. Planning on doing a crazy scale build like yours. They're so addicting! I made a custom stretched White Freightliner cabover and flatbed last spring, probably had over 100 hours in it.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Launching!

Update! I know I said I would have pics but my camera died lol so just imagine with me k!?

I bought a "airbrush" kit for $28 at hobby lobby and I sanded down the old paint and started fresh. Let me be the first to tell you if you find a $28 airbrush kit it's probably garbage... So I go to spray the hood and it came out in clumps... So I cleaned the brush up and out and started over. Works great now as long as I don't stop lol so I got the body and bumpers done and drying now I'm waiting for the spoiler and hood to dry so I can sand them down and try again on them... I shoulda just got a rattle can but that brush is so precise I couldn't pass it up! So night number 4 starts in 3 hours! Hope to get the drive train all in place and the suspension and the body painted. Tomorrow I start on the interior!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Thin the paint like water using paint thinner & it wouln't clump when you try to spray.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Launching!

What ratio should I use? Or just eyeball it?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually eyeball it but Ive been airbrushing for a while. It will be differant depending on the paint you are using so if you make it the consistancy of water you should be fine.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Okay I will give this a shot later tonight. Does it make a huge difference to use acrylic as opposed to lacquer or anybother type of paint?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Question for ya Chaman. Did your model come with the FRC's?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Launching!

He said he got them from another member and modified them...

UPDATE: I dropped my car... So... im leaving it to sit and re dry over night... The bumpers and the wheels and some of the little things fell off of it when it slid off the table... Other than that its almost done! Gotta finish putting the mirrors on and finish doing my whistler mod and get the rest ofthe intake system and such back together and its done! I hope... As long as i dont run into any more problems...

They dont make these kits like they used to! The pieces dont just fit nicely, some need to be trimmed some need to be shortened, some need stretched... Just a heads up!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lt1Powerz
He said he got them from another member and modified them...
Hmm didn't see that anywhere, thanks. Just curious, I would like to figure out how to get ahold of some for my build too. Will be following this for sure! Post updates when you can Chaman.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is two 1:18's I did a few years ago . I have been working on a 1:24 95 Z28
since 01' and still not done Ill get some pics of the 95 Z28 if anyone wants to
see them . Ive always wanted to do a full replica model of my Camaro but theres
no way in hell I would ever find the parts I need Heres the two 1:18's ....

Old 12-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Im lovin it! Mine isnt turning out like i thought but still cool nonetheless!
Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo78
Question for ya Chaman. Did your model come with the FRC's?
Nope!

I got them from a Z06 model I had laying around....

Stay tuned for updates!

Quick Reply: 1/24 Scale Trans Am Project/Peterbilt Custom Transport