Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

The Black Mary (my Z28)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Black Mary (my Z28)

Hi guys! I've had a few requests for some more pictures of my wheels, so I thought I would start a thread!

This is my 99 Black Z28 M6! I will have had her for 2 years in February, and shes been through quite a few things! LOL.

When I first got her, she was almost bone stock. I couldn't beleive it when I picked it up from the dealer. I didn't even get to drive it home, I had to have a friend drive it for me because I couldn't drive stick yet. (Yeah yeah.) I kept staring at her in my rear view from the other car because I couldn't beleive what I was about to start driving. I've always been a big Camaro fan, I had a 90 RS for my first car. But I have had a love-hate relationship with the fourth gens. Mostly I would look at them and just not see anything I liked.. Nothing like Gen 1-3 that stand apart from all other cars around it in my opinion. (Even ratty Turd Gens are easily distinguished from regular cars, yet I _still_) sometimes mistake those one lexus's or whatever as fourth gens at wrong angles.)

I brought her home, and within a day I was driving manual. I didn't even kill it the first time I took off. I was happy. For then.

Over time, I installed long-tube headers with a custom dual exhaust I was originally planning on using on the 90. It has two 31" classic chambered mufflers that do not have the dimples in them (Not sold anymore by them which makes me probably the only fourth gen with them. The do sell the "cobrapack" mufflers, but that is not what mine were. Mine are the original muffler with no dimple.) It's dumped right at the axle and finally makes me like the LS1 sound. What's funny is the shop that installed them, did them backwards... I didn't know this because it sounded so good I just thought they did it right. Well recently I did a head and intake swap and when I pulled my exhaust off and set it out of the rain/off the ground (this is after a year LOL) I notice the painted words on the mufflers are... reversed.. my inlets are the exit and the outlets are my inlets...

In my first winter with the car, I would sometimes come out and literally not be able to see my car due to the white smoke. Of course I immediately thought it was a head gasket. I smelled the exhaust and it "smelt" like coolant. Well I went ahead and pulled the heads off and did a quick gasket swap. The oil was fine, the gasket was fine. The pistons were still oily from the PCV being stock, and the spark plugs were still slightly black and did not look like they had been washed off in coolant. Yeah, dumb move. Should have just changed the oil, saw it was fine, and left it. But I had fresh head gaskets and new valve seals. I was good.

Yeah, right.

Noticed after awhile the car would emit a nice puff of blue smoke everytime I started it. Ut oh. What happened to those valve seals? After a month or two, acquiring funds and parts. I set out on pulling the heads again, and possibly for good. (By this time, I wish I had ordered some head studs. HAHA)

Well after pulling the heads I noticed my culprit.. almost all of the exhaust valve seals were jumping up and down with the valve! That's not suppose to do that!

I was really perplexed, I used the same strength when I tapped all my seals. (Evidenced by the intakes all firmly being seated) And yet, it was just the exhaust seals that popped up. Well this time that wasn't happening, when I had my heads cut for 2.00 valves and milled, I had him assemble them for me as well. $30 for peace of mind is fine by me.

So I button everything up again, throw my new LS6 intake on and fire it up. Runs like a champ with the Frost tune.

After a week, I am driving home on my regular road, it has a concrete factory on it so you can imagine what the road is littered with.

Apparently, I attracted the attention of a police officer as I was coming around a bend. When I went to make a turn off onto a street so I could see what he wanted, I clutched out when I made the turn and unfortunately some of that gravel made me ah... not turn? I went straight and my back tires hit the gravel as soon as I hit the brakes.. I knew it was over.. I went right over the curb into a bloody fire hydrant.

Yeah, this is all in front of the cop.

Of course I get the whole "your were trying to run away, etc." spill. I just kinda laughed. I didn't really care at that point, all I knew is I was sure it was gonna be totaled. The cop that took pictures of the car said "I'm really surprised the airbags didn't go off." I bent the fire hydrant over a bit. Didn't break it though. Everyone I tell the story too is like "OMG DID IT START BURSTING WATER?!" and when I say no they get disappointed..

(ok I am a little bit but come on. )

I had my uncle whos been working on show cars and custom cars as a body man all of his life look at it. He said "3k". I was relieved.
I went over it myself and noticed no frame damage at all, which is amazing. It didn't even touch the radiator either. Bent the left wheel assembly back, but that was fixed.

Got my estimate later on from insurance, and.. it was 3k. LOL.

OK, that was a long story and way too much typing. tl:dr.

PICTURES:

Stock, right after a bath.:

One of the few pictures I have of when it had C6 wheels. I never got around to take pictures of it.

All of my engine disassembled shots were on my phone which is now dead and destroyed. Sigh.

The wreck:

How bad the wheel was pushed back:

Now today.. as she sits outside:

I still need a few things of course. But in due time.

By the way, my name came from people commonly referring to muscle cars as "boats". I thought it fitting to name my car like a ship. xD
Old 01-06-2011, 02:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Car looks good. The flat black stripe is a nice touch.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great. I like the hockey strip color you went with.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Addict

Dude those wheels look sick!! Good job on the hood and the stripe too, came out pretty clean looking.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a bunch guys! I love flat black on black, I actually went through 5 different color combos I wanted to do until I saw a thread with Flat Black Sunoco Stripes on a black SS and I knew what I had wanted to do.

I want to put some flat black stripes on the sides of the hood as well, like the blackbird stripes. Fourth Circle Designs has them for a really good price too!

The wheels are C5 Deep Dish 18x10.5 all the way around. My first choice was DD C6, but they don't sell them without rivets and that was the deal breaker for me.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Do you have a exhaust video?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks a whole lot diffrent... Really nice and clean and mean and all of the above.. Good choice on the hood too
Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

She is so sexy!!!!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks fantastic, the hood really makes the car!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with an SS spoiler that back would really pop along with the hood nice car

Last edited by Cole Train; 01-07-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cole Train
with an SS hood that back would really pop along with the hood nice car
dont you mean spoiler lol
Ultra Z hood is just ****!
Old 01-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Nice car bro. Why did you not put a cam in with those heads? Your car would roll out with just a lil 224 or 228. Oh and lower that thingit will look great.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Nice car just needs a ss spoiler imo. what size are those tires ?
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

SS spoiler is one of my next appearance mods! I hate the back of my car without one haha.

And in regards to not camming it, I got my heads bought/machined/milled/assembled for the price of bare 243's and the LS6 intake I got after selling some old tuning equipment for the TBI on my old car. (LOL.) AKA, money problems! I didn't have the extra $1500 for a cam swap. (Accessories, Tune, etc.)

One day! She will have a cam.

The tires are 295/35/18 all around! They don't make my tire anymore. (Nokians that got phased out for a new generation.)

In regards to an exhaust clip: This weekend I will try to get one. My camera sucks, but hopefully it comes through ok.

Thanks for the compliments everyone!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i was high, drunk and getting head when i typed that lol ******' distractions....
Old 01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good man, not huge on the Z28 hockey stripes and Z28 again for the regular badge but still looks very nice. Love the wheels and the hood fits real nice to I like.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Car looks badass. really like the rims
Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

looking nice gr8 u ditched the C6's lol where did you get your stripe?
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Parasoth
In regards to an exhaust clip: This weekend I will try to get one. My camera sucks, but hopefully it comes through ok.
Fantastic not many LS series guys running H pipe setups nearly every truedual is a x pipe.