Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

2011 GT H/C/I makes 507hp N/A

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a 500hp 5.0 in car that weighs 3500lbs.

You have a 500hp LS3 in a car that weighs 3500lbs.

Which one wins? LS3 EVERY time.
Which one is cheaper to build to that level? LS3 every time.

So what motor do you want in your car?

Granted, its pretty cool it made the number it did. And I love high revving engines (Ferrari's engines are pure sex).

Plain and simple, torque wins races and horsepower is for showing off. Its the area under the curve that matters, not the peak. And that's were the LSx's shine. Ford doesn't have that part down quite yet.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

F8L Byte I loaded out the price for ya via JPC
Originally Posted by LSXNV
You have a 500hp 5.0 in car that weighs 3500lbs.

You have a 500hp LS3 in a car that weighs 3500lbs.

Which one wins? LS3 EVERY time.
Which one is cheaper to build to that level? LS3 every time.

So what motor do you want in your car?

Granted, its pretty cool it made the number it did. And I love high revving engines (Ferrari's engines are pure sex).

Plain and simple, torque wins races and horsepower is for showing off. Its the area under the curve that matters, not the peak. And that's were the LSx's shine. Ford doesn't have that part down quite yet.
Exactly what I've been saying "THE BIG PICTURE" is not just Peak numbers but the entire graph!
As for Blowers on the Mod Motors the 03/04 Cobra is still a dollar for dollar NIGHTMARE for a 500rwhp budget destroyer!

If i was a ford fan I'd be happy about the 5.0l. In hopes many Termi owners ditch their ride for a New 5.0L so i can get in a powerful USED car!

Last edited by 06X6spdGTO; 02-22-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Cool engine and results. But I would build up an LSx 12 times out of 10.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
let the hate begin.....
...and it sure did...in full force. Lot's of ignorance posted.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

were these numbers corrected or do we not know? That is damn impressive either way. A lot of GM nut swingers are eating their words with the new 5.0l
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

close to the same numbers, but WITH cats and stock intake manifold. 497whp/435wtq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3cZM1jCsPo

517whp/484wtq stock intake manifold
https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...m-results.html
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
I will find the 03/04 cobras for you give me some time to remember where I found them.

And when I say ~1k for exhaust i mean the header back and the way cams are for our cars are usually sold in a package deal however with the car being new im not sure the exact price on those just speculating from our 4v cars, and Im not sure what all is needed with the TiVCT
Not to change the subject too far but, here are a couple Stg IV and V+ 03/04 Cobras I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbUKs...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m9aHXS-hqs

A LONG WAYS from 580whp for No N2o!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Im not impressed by anything anymore. Everything has become so boring. It seems like it took me a long time to realize that all it is is a money and pissing contest. So a guy made some numbers after spending his 10k or whatever he spent. I guess if we all had 10k spent, it would all still be just as boring. So just like every other hobby, if you dont have your "10k" you dont have anything "impressive".
Old 02-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Teching In

What about driveability?

Does a 500whp N/A LS motor have the same street manners as a 500whp N/A 5 liter? I doubt it..

Having VTC lets us do a LOT with this new Ford engine. The cams in the engine in question are nothing more than slightly larger factory regrinds. They cost 799.00 IIRC. The car does not lope AT ALL. The heads are just mildly cleaned up. It still has the stock valves, springs, and retainers. So, you know that it's not a very aggressive setup. This is just the tip of the iceburg for what this engine can (and will) do in the coming years.

This car does not lope at all. It sounds like a stock engine with bolt-on's. It doesn't smell like a rolling gas station, and it still gets 25-26mpg on the highway. It doesn't need a 4K rpm stall.. It'll run in the 10's on slicks, with full interior, and you can drive it home with the A/C blasting when you're finished.

What's not to like about it? Because Ford built it? I've built and owned both GM and Ford vehicles. I know what it takes to build both, and they are both completely different animals. The LS family of engines is nice, but, having a 4 valve OHC engine, with VTC is where it's at. You can tune the cam timing for good bottom end, and street manners.. then, let it rip at high RPM. It really is the best of both worlds.

Travis
Old 02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06X6spdGTO
Not to change the subject too far but, here are a couple Stg IV and V+ 03/04 Cobras I found.

A LONG WAYS from 580whp for No N2o!
Steigemeier does great port work but its not their stage 1-5 that lay down the numbers its snake bite port and also posi performance with their race ports is where the big numbers are.

here are a few:

549hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKhNTKhGIQ

545/530

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...o-numbers.html

550/570

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...hp-570-tq.html

596/590 (something happened to the video) Im working on finding it again

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...s-600rwhp.html

Fastest 6sp no nitrous ported eaton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnARYVk9TDs
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

How long has the 5.0 been out? Not even a year yet, right? So we have a totally new engine that's not even a year old yet making 500whp N/A, and you are comparing it to an engine that has been out for a few years, and is fairly a run of the mill Chevy engine? Real fair comparison It's weak to argue that all these LS3s making more or the same power when it's been out longer and it wasn't a totally new engine to begin with like the 5.0 is.

I’m not in any way saying the LS3 is a bad engine, but the 5.0 is 1.2 liters smaller and putting down damn near the same power N/A. How can you not be impressed with that? The only thing holding you back is that it doesn’t have the Chevy emblem on it. They decided to put it on that fat pig of a Camaro instead…
Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gocartone
How long has the 5.0 been out? Not even a year yet, right? So we have a totally new engine that's not even a year old yet making 500whp N/A, and you are comparing it to an engine that has been out for a few years, and is fairly a run of the mill Chevy engine? Real fair comparison It's weak to argue that all these LS3s making more or the same power when it's been out longer and it wasn't a totally new engine to begin with like the 5.0 is.

I’m not in any way saying the LS3 is a bad engine, but the 5.0 is 1.2 liters smaller and putting down damn near the same power N/A. How can you not be impressed with that? The only thing holding you back is that it doesn’t have the Chevy emblem on it. They decided to put it on that fat pig of a Camaro instead…
I agree. Just a lot of brand loyalists here. Its good to see Ford stepping up with the Coyote motor.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it's a start.... yall are stupid for having this pissing contest.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 AM
Teching In

Here's one in the 9's with a bone stock motor, ported Eaton, and bolt-on's.. The car has a automatic swap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l95Ql6_cvAU

Originally Posted by F8L BYT
Steigemeier does great port work but its not their stage 1-5 that lay down the numbers its snake bite port and also posi performance with their race ports is where the big numbers are.

here are a few:

549hp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYKhNTKhGIQ

545/530

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...o-numbers.html

550/570

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...hp-570-tq.html

596/590 (something happened to the video) Im working on finding it again

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...s-600rwhp.html

Fastest 6sp no nitrous ported eaton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnARYVk9TDs
Old 02-23-2011, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Reject
it's a start.... yall are stupid for having this pissing contest.
I wouldn't go that far. I mean, its these pissing contests that have fueled our hobby since the day the first internal combustion automotive engine started.

And some may think this is blind brand loyalty, and for some it may be. But like I posted before, I want an engine that has alot of area under the curve. Thats what you feel, and it makes for the best street strip car (isn't that what most of us want?). And I want all that for less money then the other dude's engine.

The Coyote is a great engine with alot of potential. It is just too one sided as far as HP/TQ goes. And truth be told, I am willing to bet a 450hp LS3 will win over a 500hp 5.0 at the strip all else being equal.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone

You forgot it's in the base corvette as well.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
10 Second Club

F8L did u even research the snake bite pak? Or did u forget I was on a 112 size headunit? A comparison of a 122hh unit would be a closer comparison to the stage5 w/ snakebite steggy package. I can post results on some on another thread if you'd like to start the topic

So let's get back to the 5.0l
Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSXNV
I wouldn't go that far. I mean, its these pissing contests that have fueled our hobby since the day the first internal combustion automotive engine started.

And some may think this is blind brand loyalty, and for some it may be. But like I posted before, I want an engine that has alot of area under the curve. Thats what you feel, and it makes for the best street strip car (isn't that what most of us want?). And I want all that for less money then the other dude's engine.

The Coyote is a great engine with alot of potential. It is just too one sided as far as HP/TQ goes. And truth be told, I am willing to bet a 450hp LS3 will win over a 500hp 5.0 at the strip all else being equal.
If you drive one with intake, tune, and gears, I think you would find the powerband a lot better than it looks on paper.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
You forgot it's in the base corvette as well.
I didn't forget, that's why I said it's been out for years already, and why comparing it to the 5.0 isn't real fair at this point. Being in the Corvette doesn't make up for the Camaro being a total pig.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Travis, GM has a vvt system for LS motors as well.

I don't know where people are getting this but, the new 5.0 weighs less than an LS3.

All this is is internet bragging numbers. 310 hp/tq @ 4000rpm makes this motor good for racing and that's it. I don't know about you guys, but I usually don't go threw town rippin' 7500 rpm powershifts. Mostly little spurts around 3000-4000 rpm.

Quick Reply: 2011 GT H/C/I makes 507hp N/A