94 Supra with 421 stroker smallblock swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_merv
Definately different.

Needs LS1..

If not, then a built up 2JZ with a 90mm on it..
+1 for truth.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIKHS 5
**** the haters. badass car!!

over 500 to the wheels n/a will def. shut people up.
Not really, it makes us talk more ****. 500whp is a 50 shot + stock twins on a 6 speed car, or a 75 shot on an auto car (assuming both have basic intake/exhaust mods and a SAFC to tune with.

OP, come back with a real motor setup instead of something that belongs in an iroc, lose the mullet and maybe you would get more respect.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kracin
i didn't wanna call names, but seriously.. your own link to SF shows the 2jz weighing in at 524 minus the fan and flywheel.... lightened flywheel is 14 lbs.
Yes, complete long block without turbos or piping. Add those and you get my original estimate of 600lbs...

524 - 30 lbs for a single turbo conversion is *gasp* 496? pretty close to 480 like i said. and there are a few other things that are removed when doing a single conversion that arent attached to the plumbing of the turbos themselves.
What 30lbs are you removing from the long block?

and going by a whole bunch of info i've seen, SBC weigh in at 575 to start. add in forged internals and whatnot and you get my point.
Hmm, what info have you seen?
GM quotes their ZZ4 SBC "turn key" at 511lbs, thats with a forged steel crank. Thats generally the weight of an iron block/al head SBC...

edit, also. you linked to a hybrid forum and expect accuracy?
Hybrid Z forum, as in the Nissan/datsun Z. Its an engine swap forum from those cars...
for starters they are showing a 6spd weighing nearly 160 lbs, try looking up the supra hard top registry. people have weighed every single part capable of being removed from the car, and its been done for a while. i wouldn't trust any weights listed by a guy trying to sell stuff wholesale who wants to make sure he makes an extra dime off shipping either.
You may need to scroll down the thread, they have a weighed picture posted. Not sure what you're talking about a guy selling stuff for...
Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Yes, complete long block without turbos or piping. Add those and you get my original estimate of 600lbs...

that is with the turbos and piping.... why are you adding it twice

What 30lbs are you removing from the long block?

the weight of the stock twins is 105 lbs, versus a regular 74mm single setup that only weighs 75 lbs on average

Hmm, what info have you seen?
GM quotes their ZZ4 SBC "turn key" at 511lbs, thats with a forged steel crank. Thats generally the weight of an iron block/al head SBC...
odd, ive seen different, plus you have added weight on the built motor dont you

Hybrid Z forum, as in the Nissan/datsun Z. Its an engine swap forum from those cars...

yeah, a hybrid z forum.. for nissan and datsun, nothing to do with toyota or supras oddly enough.

You may need to scroll down the thread, they have a weighed picture posted. Not sure what you're talking about a guy selling stuff for...

last post that your link takes it to
even if the weights are similar after talking about removing stock stuff.. modified vs modified since neither would be stock anymore. its a ridiculously shitty motor to replace an advanced motor that requires nothing built about it to make over 900hp
Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never knew sbc's were "shitty" I've got a lot of work to do then to remove them from all my vehicles
Old 12-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KS-LS1
Thanks. And for everyone going on and on about weight, this motor weighs about the same as a 2JZ considering it doesnt have any turbo plumbing and it has aluminum heads/intake...
Don't let dingle berry AKA kracin hijack your thread. Sexy car and people ask why you put a sbc in it. lol gm did something right for however many years didn't they. Clean car now get some new videos up
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 6898camaross
Never knew sbc's were "shitty" I've got a lot of work to do then to remove them from all my vehicles
a motor from the 70's is shitty compared to a motor from the 90's.... that makes more hp and torque per liter by a long margin without even needing to be cracked open.... never said all SBC were, but this was a bad option as an "upgrade" as the OP put it earlier.

sure, gm did something right... for their cars, doesn't mean op did something right by putting that in there.

honda did something right by making some god damn nice engines for lawn mowers, snow blowers, pressure washers, generators... but putting them in your camaro just because honda did something right X years ago doesn't make it smart.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO at the supra kids getting butt hurt and joining here to talk **** over this. Don't you have anything better to do than worry about what someone else does to their car?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Where do I get that shiny red dash and the awesome square box that goes on the hood? How did I miss this ultimate build on supraforums?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
LMAO at the supra kids getting butt hurt and joining here to talk **** over this. Don't you have anything better to do than worry about what someone else does to their car?
Not butt hurt, just publicly flogging the fool
Old 12-21-2011, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 270 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWxPz04Lcaw
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

IIRC the inline six has been around since the early 1900's. Not exactly 90's tech there..
Old 12-21-2011, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Badass swap. If the 2JZ was gods gift to earth, why weren't they around longer?

kracin, GTFO of this guys thread and stop being a troll. Go beat off in your supra-throne closet and never come out.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
Same can be said about the SBC. Also this is a public forum so let people talk their mind here. Its not like this is a private or exclusive club with nice decoder rings from cereal boxes.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Teching In

kracin, GTFO of this guys thread and stop being a troll. Go beat off in your supra-throne closet and never come out.
I would say that it had a good run, in turbo form it came in Supras up until 2002, and up to 2005 in Aristos. It isn't around longer, because Toyota/Lexus dropped their performance goals and went on to make shitty econo boxes.

Originally Posted by '00_Z
IIRC the inline six has been around since the early 1900's. Not exactly 90's tech there..
I wasn't aware that sequential turbos, sequential injection and sequential ignition were available in the early 90s...
Old 12-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
not butt hurt, just wondering how it is logical to think it is an improvement, typically when you do an engine swap you put something better in the car, not worse

Originally Posted by the_merv
that camaro was pretty cool, a much nicer build than some supras even had, but the guy wanted a ridiculous amount on it

wow, thanks for the incredibly redneck response... lol!

carb vs EFI

1900's didn't have turbochargers, forged crank, sequential forced induction systems, transmissions capable of holding 1000hp in passenger cars from the factory. not only that but you are talking about a an DOHC motor vs pushrod.

******* rednecks. not surprised though, i was expecting something more like "durrhurr its just a little I6, bigger is better durrhurr"

why isn't the sbc found in production cars anymore? heres food for though, for the length of time that the sbc of this exact style was found in cars, you'd think they could have improved on it, but no, it stuck around for so long with no changes.

the 2jz was definately found in cars for a long time as well, and toyota has used other platforms and improved upon them constantly which is why the same engine code doesn't stick around forever. just a matter of technology getting better, too bad the guy before you posting about "1900s" tech has no clue what tech actually is, he still thinks an american v8 is the best v8 lol. you would be better off putting a mercedes v8 in there, way better.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

not butt hurt, just wondering how it is logical to think it is an improvement, typically when you do an engine swap you put something better in the car, not worse

that camaro was pretty cool, a much nicer build than some supras even had, but the guy wanted a ridiculous amount on it

wow, thanks for the incredibly redneck response... lol!

carb vs EFI

1900's didn't have turbochargers, forged crank, sequential forced induction systems, transmissions capable of holding 1000hp in passenger cars from the factory. not only that but you are talking about a an DOHC motor vs pushrod.

******* rednecks. not surprised though, i was expecting something more like "durrhurr its just a little I6, bigger is better durrhurr"

why isn't the sbc found in production cars anymore? heres food for though, for the length of time that the sbc of this exact style was found in cars, you'd think they could have improved on it, but no, it stuck around for so long with no changes.

the 2jz was definately found in cars for a long time as well, and toyota has used other platforms and improved upon them constantly which is why the same engine code doesn't stick around forever. just a matter of technology getting better, too bad the guy before you posting about "1900s" tech has no clue what tech actually is, he still thinks an american v8 is the best v8 lol. you would be better off putting a mercedes v8 in there, way better.
I don't recall stating anything about the american V8 being the best of anything. Obviously you're more of an authority than everyone else and with that sometimes comes a certain level of maturity, not in your case though since you need to resort to personal insults. Good luck with your internet war! durrhurr durhurrr...
Old 12-21-2011, 04:01 PM

I don't recall stating anything about the american V8 being the best of anything. Obviously you're more of an authority than everyone else and with that sometimes comes a certain level of maturity, not in your case though since you need to resort to personal insults. Good luck with your internet war! durrhurr durhurrr...
internet is internet.

although going to school at some point in your life or knowing what you're talking about would have helped you when you tried to exclaim how an early 90's motor capable of 900hp unopened is early 1900's technology... and i admit you never said american v8's were the best, but the way you are trying to claim it is as good as or better than a 2jz-gte, you might as well think that

i'll toss one more insult out since you are so fond of them..

what an idiotic thing to say.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awe that's mighty precious of you. Thanks, I can sleep better at night knowing you schooled me.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Please use to learn multi-quote.
odd, ive seen different, plus you have added weight on the built motor dont you
What have you seen? That is typical (if not higher than normal) weight.
Not sure how it works in your world, but in our SBC world aftermarket stuff is usually lighter than factory, so a "built motor" is often lighter than stock...

yeah, a hybrid z forum.. for nissan and datsun, nothing to do with toyota or supras oddly enough.
Actually everything to do with the 2JZ, that is an engine swap forum, the 2JZ is a relatively common swap (or at least pondered on and then dropped for a lighter/smaller/cheaper/simpler LSx )

even if the weights are similar after talking about removing stock stuff.. modified vs modified since neither would be stock anymore. its a ridiculously shitty motor to replace an advanced motor that requires nothing built about it to make over 900hp
LMAO...
I think you are confusing "advanced" with factory over built, and simple (yet ridiculously easy to get power out of) with "shitty".
We all know the 2JZ can take a ton of peak power with stock internals (yippie!) but what does that really matter? You have to mod everything else, you still have to spend big money, so who cares?
And GM never set out to create an "advanced" engine when making the SBC, its beauty is in its simplicity (and low mass and weight with an aluminum block). You can buy off the shelf stuff from summit, install it in your garage yourself and make stupid power on 87 pump gas.
Im not saying either is better, they are very different engines, but to call the SBC shitty is plain dumb.

a motor from the 70's is shitty compared to a motor from the 90's..
Even if it makes as much power (with a better powerband) and comes in around the same weight, Id say thats not too bad for an "old motor"
that makes more hp and torque per liter by a long margin without even needing to be cracked open....
Did you really just... hp/l really?....
You can buy a cheap RC car today that makes more HP/L than a 2JZ, does that mean the RC engine is more advanced, and the 2JZ is **** in comparison? HP/L is ricer math at its finest, peak HP not being useful in many cases (power under the curve is what matters) and displacement shows nothing, its weight and size that matter.
Out of two engines that both make the same power, would you rather have a heavier one with less displacement, or a lighter one with more displacement? One makes more hp/l, the other make more hp/weight.

sure, gm did something right... for their cars, doesn't mean op did something right by putting that in there.
Its not about who did what "right", its about a compact, reliable engine that can make gobs of power and torque very easily. This is not to say the 2JZ can't, so don't give yourself an ulcer just yet.
Hopefully you don't happen to stumble upon all the other SBC/LSx swapped Supras on the interwebs, you'll surely have a heart attack...

Quick Reply: 94 Supra with 421 stroker smallblock swap