Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

F-18 ridealong

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your major has nothing to do with pilot slots. My major is Aeronautical Science (professional pilot), but I'm not more likely to get a slot than an engineer. What DOES help is flight hours. The more flight hours you have, the more points go on your Pilot Candidate Selection Method score, and the more likely you are to get picked.

Remember, everyone one of us will be an OFFICER first, and have a job second. Your job is not that important, but the rank you wear and represent means alot. If you're in it just to be a pilot, its the wrong reason. When I first got into ROTC, the only thing I could think about was becoming a pilot. But after graduating Field Training and spending the majority of my free time working on projects/jobs for my Detachment, I know that I'll be more than happy just to commission as an Officer with whatever job I get. It sounds cookie cutter and sappy, I know, but it really does mean something to put the uniform on every day.

As for medical disqualifications, talk to an AFROTC recruiter. The enlisted recruiters won't know NEARLY as much, and I too have heard that they "bend" the truth to get you to enlist. www.afrotc.com has alot of basic answers. I took my DoD Medical a couple years ago and passed as "Potential Pilot Qualified", but it still doesn't mean jack until I goto Lackland and get a Flight Physical.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brandon
FYI there are hi-res clips at grouchymedia.com
thanks for the tip, the direct link here ==>> http://grouchymedia.com/other_videos...e/download.cfm

that is 100 times better than the original i posted, i playing full screen with very little distortion, compared to the original where you could barely make out the small one...
Old 03-10-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000NavyZ
Am i really dumb or did i see him drop one off about a 1/4 through the video......seriously watch the the video and stare at the right wing. look hard you will see him blow off a city below.....haha i love it.....USA BITCH
ya your right, I just saw it, at about 1:15, small, so it shouldn't be a fuel pod...
Old 03-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Do you need perfect vision to fly civilian? Not sure what my vision is currently but I've always wanted to be a pilot. What's the best way to go about it? Help me become a pilot!! Thanx!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You don't need perfect vision to be a civilian pilot, but it needs to be correctable by glasses to a certain degree. Its much easier to get a civilian pilot's license than it is to fly military. An FAA Medical Exam can only be administered by a certified Aviation Medical Examiner (AME). You'll have to find the AME closest to you, and your first medical exam will be a combo Medical/Student Pilot Certificate, which allows you to fly without a license.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brewer48
Do you need perfect vision to fly civilian? Not sure what my vision is currently but I've always wanted to be a pilot. What's the best way to go about it? Help me become a pilot!! Thanx!
no but make sure you dont get laser corection. If so you automaticly fail.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:10 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Awesome video!

I am with an F-18 weapons test and evaluation squadron in China Lake, CA.
(VX-31)
Dust Devils

Those are some bad *** birds!
Old 03-15-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

That's unreal.

I want a prop-driven fighter when I become an eccentric millionaire.