Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Video-Site update (StreetFire/PerformanceTrucks/Ls1Tech)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Video-Site update (StreetFire/PerformanceTrucks/Ls1Tech)

Hey Folks just wanted to give an update that we're aware of the problem with Choppy video and are working on a long term solution. Pretty much, here is the problem.

Note: This graph just shows visitors, a StreetFire visitor requires 100x more bandwidth to watch videos than browse a forum, so you can imagine What our MRTG graphs much look like!

We're bring another Datacenter with higher quality bandwidth online this weekend, and will get better peering for Comcast/*** cable customers next week. This should allow the system to scale 4-fold or more. As you can tell we're growing like mad and have brought our upstream hoster's Cisco router to it's knees, so expect a solution shortly. Thanks for bearing with us!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the awesome services, and to think it's free for us is amazing. I've been waiting a long time for something like streetfire's concept to come along, i hang out in the multimedia section all the time unless something on my car goes lol, then i surf the corresponding section to whatever broke on my car.

So, streetfire is a nerdy car video shrine for me since i have a turd (car) =)

Thanks again for the time and effort.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

Hey man we really apreciate everything you have done & doing

thanks for UPDATES

peace
Old 08-04-2005, 07:03 AM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=bad95killer]Hey man we really apreciate everything you have done & doing

Thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! With the all night code-a-thons, and constant work with out host, trust me when I say your kudos are appreciated!
Old 08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Restricted User

The service and site are GREAT! However, I think you're giving people the wrong impression with your graph. It should be stated in unique visitors, not how many hits per day per month total. Why would you post it as "Daily Reach (per million)" ? MILLION (typo)? I think THOUSAND might be more on-base. I know for a fact 'tech averages 12,000 unique visitors and 275,000 page views (daily). If 'tech and 'vette are getting 20-40 MILLION visitors per day (or hits), they best up the ante for more servers...quick.

I'm wasn't sure how to approach this and not trying to be an ***. It just looks misconstrued. Please explain.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NOSjohn
The service and site are GREAT! However, I think you're giving people the wrong impression with your graph. It should be stated in unique visitors, not how many hits per day per month total. Why would you post it as "Daily Reach (per million)" ? MILLION (typo)? I think THOUSAND might be more on-base. I know for a fact 'tech averages 12,000 unique visitors and 275,000 page views (daily). If 'tech and 'vette are getting 20-40 MILLION visitors per day (or hits), they best up the ante for more servers...quick.

I'm wasn't sure how to approach this and not trying to be an ***. It just looks misconstrued. Please explain.
That's an Alexa Graph actually not ours,

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/tr...etfire.net#top

....and the only third party way to show comprable reach of multiple sites. That is, For Every (1) Million Web Users, (x) Users Visited LS1Tech, CorvetteForum, StreetFire, etc. You're right, it's not the best way to compare site visits, but it is the only third party monitor I'm aware of that shows graph over time. (Netcraft, has a similar ranking system, but lacks graphing). I only posted it to give folks a feel for the level of traffic growth we've been hit with in such a short period of time.

In Terms of Unique Visitors per day, we're in the 50,000 Range according to webtrends, but only 30,000 according to our Ad-Network stats, so I'm not sure what's going on there. (Possibly more poepl going to the forum which isn't tracked by our ad-network...more likely that's something is broken though).

FWIW though you can see real-time how many videos we're streaming a day on our website here: http://www.vidiac.com/

The 30th is showing "0" because we had to turn off reporting that day.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Restricted User

Very good. Yes, web stats are tough to follow. One will say one thing and the other states another. It's possible with Ad-Network it is only seeing the amount of people that click on certain parts of your site. Either way, the site is growing at an exponential rate. Care to throw an LS7power.com banner on there?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Update we just brought our second feed online, and video quality has skyrocketed. We're going to have to make another change tomorrow, but it should be good to the weekend. Next week, we'll have (2) more Gig feeds at the MAE-east Peering point and ***/Comcast broadband users should see their quality increase dramaticly.

Whew this is a lot of work!

John, all the banner spots we have are paid spots right now, but you're welcome to join the forum and post about your site.

-Adam, Haggard, Tired and working 90 hour weeks!!!!
Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 PM
Restricted User

Thanks for the invite. I may inquire about a paid spot.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Well I'm not gonna lie, you've got **** for bottom end... but that top end pull is mind blowing once the VTEC kicks in.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Well I'm not gonna lie, you've got **** for bottom end... but that top end pull is mind blowing once the VTEC kicks in.

And yet notice that wide-Torque curve of LS1Tech! Gotta love those V8s!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shinkaze

And yet notice that wide-Torque curve of LS1Tech! Gotta love those V8s!
"Torque Monster" we love it

peace