hughes vs gracie just in case no one saw

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:05 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls1sEatRice
i've said it once, i'll say it again:

ufc<pride
Word!! UFC fighters look like bitches when they come to Pride. Ever see the UFC light heavy weight champion Chuck Lidell fight Quinton "Rampage" Jackson? Rampage was kicking his *** so bad that Chuck's corner threw in the towel. I think if you compare the level of competition and the champions amongst the two you'll see a hug discrepency. UFC Light heavy champ = Chuck Lidell, Pride Light heacy champ = Wanderlei Silva, who beat Rampage twice, when Chuck got his *** handed to him by Rampage. UFC Heavy weight champ = Tim Silvia, huge 6'8 mfer, lost to Andre Alorfskei, Pride Heavy weight champ = Fedor Emelianenko, who has only lost one time due to a cut, has beat some of the best in the world, Crocop, Mark Coleman, 2X Noguiera who is , and so on. What I would really like to see is a Tito Vs Wanderlei Silva rematch. Wanderlei is the baddest mfer in light heavy weight ever. I just wish UFC and Pride could work something out. Personally I really don't like Matt Hughes . I think his fighting style is the most boring **** ever. He just sits on guys and waits for them to make a mistake. All of his fights I've seen go the same way. He stands for a while, goes for a take down, gets on the ground, does nothing, ref stands them up, takes down his opponent again, sits there, people boo, ref stands them up, does a fancy slam, people cheer because something finally happened, gets lucky how he lands, punches till ref stops it or submits his opponent. I would also like to see a George St.Piere Vs Matt Hughes rematch, I think GSP can take him.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

matt hughes is a bad ***. he isnt boring just smart. that is part of his game. if you want to see action watch a movie with some fake ****. its all about technique. remember old school top gun, iceman. cold killer waits for someone to mess up then takes them out. gracie did the same stuff back in the day.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:31 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

I'll agree he's a bad ***, but at the same time a gay ***. Randy Couture fights the same way, but he makes it interesting, he's effective on the ground. Matt Hughes is just gay. His record is 39-4-0, very impressive, but only 13 of those wins are by TKO. Of those technical knock outs only two were actual knockouts, Carlos Newton by power bomb and Scott Johnson. His other wins were 18 submissions, and 8 decisions. Not to mention none of his losses were by decision, 3 submissions, B.J. Penn rear naked choke, Dennis Hallman twice, 1X armbar, the other by gullotine, and Jose Landi-Jons KOed him with a knee to the head. Lets compare him to a relative fighter in UFC, Spencer Fisher, who also fought at UFC 60, and who also is a Miletich fighter. His record is 18-2-0, also very good and almost half the total fights as Matt Hughes. Yet what makes him so much different is this, he has 10 TKOs, 7 submissions, and 1 decision, Of his 10 TKOs, 4 were actual KOs, Matt Wiman, Kyle Watson, Shawn McCully, and Kurt Illeman. His only two losses were by decision, to Carlo Prater and Sam Stout. What I'm trying to say by giving you all of these statistics comparing him to a fighter in the same weight class, fighting system, and fought on the same ppv is that for his total wins, very few were impressive at all. I'll agree with you that Matt Hughes is the champrion and that he has a very impressive record, but what seperates a champ and a legend is how they get to where they are. Let's compare him to Ali, who is a legend in his sport. Ali did things with passion and intensity, he fought the best there was to fight, and most of his wins were impressive. Ali's total record is 61-4, with 37 KOs, 14 decisions, and four losses. What I'm trying to say is people will always remember Ali KOing Joe Frazier in the 14/15th round. I can't say any Matt Hughes fights at all stick out in my mind. I just think that the way Matt Hughes fights and acts outside of the ring will prevent him from being the fighter that everyone always talks about and is impressed by event though he has a very good record. Personally, I give him major respect for having a record as good as he does and being the champ, but the way he fights is the most boring thing ever.

Matt Hughes http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...?fighterid=232

Spencer Fisher http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/f...fighterid=5118

Ali http://www.ali.com/article.cfm?id=40

Edit: That post took over an hour so someone better respond!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Junkie

total ownage
Old 06-05-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think he can knock people out, but when people start doing that is when they get caught by a submition. hughes like i said is a smart fighter. i havent seen all of his fights, but he seems to come out pretty clean. he takes things to the ground due to nature(he is a wrestler), hes not a knock a knockout king. i do agree with you. he doesnt carry a lot of hype. he just goes in and does what he trains to do.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:28 AM
Teching In

some full fedor fights:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...or+Emelianenko

this one features him and his brother Aleksander(toughness just runs in that family)
Old 06-05-2006, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FRCJim
Hey Ls1marine , thanks for the post ,I love this stuff , but had to READ about this fight . Go Matt Hughs .
no problem man
Old 06-05-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ls1sEatRice
fedor has not been beat "fairly", he did lose a fight because of an injury... but as far as legit losses goes, it hasn't happened yet, of course the tyrant will lose one day, but he is 13-0 in pride and 17-1-0 in MMA, and the loss came from a referee stoppage because of a cut...

and the best part of the fedor video I posted is at the 4:52 mark when it shows the guy he is fightings girl friend/wife and she is crying, that is when you know you're getting your *** whooped...
Fedor's record in MMA is 23-1, not 17-1. He lost to TK due to a cut from an illegal elbow. Back at that time the rules in Rings stated that elbow strikes were illegal unless the fighter was wearing elbow pads. But a winner needed to be declared and the fight, though it should have been, was not called a no-contest. Fedor is undefeated in MMA combat in the minds of many MMA fans- myself included.

"The guy" that Fedor is fighting is more than just an opponent, he's Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera, who was thought to be invincible before Fedor upset him the first time, and beat him again later on. He has beaten great fighters like Horn, Hendo, Coleman, Crocop, Ricco, Sergei, and Herring. He's a legend in his own right, and if Fedor was not a fighter he'd have Fedor's title of the greatest fighter in the world.

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Word!! UFC fighters look like bitches when they come to Pride. Ever see the UFC light heavy weight champion Chuck Lidell fight Quinton "Rampage" Jackson? Rampage was kicking his *** so bad that Chuck's corner threw in the towel. I think if you compare the level of competition and the champions amongst the two you'll see a hug discrepency. UFC Light heavy champ = Chuck Lidell, Pride Light heacy champ = Wanderlei Silva, who beat Rampage twice, when Chuck got his *** handed to him by Rampage. UFC Heavy weight champ = Tim Silvia, huge 6'8 mfer, lost to Andre Alorfskei, Pride Heavy weight champ = Fedor Emelianenko, who has only lost one time due to a cut, has beat some of the best in the world, Crocop, Mark Coleman, 2X Noguiera who is , and so on. What I would really like to see is a Tito Vs Wanderlei Silva rematch. Wanderlei is the baddest mfer in light heavy weight ever. I just wish UFC and Pride could work something out.
I'm sorry man, but your post is full of garbage. There are a ton of Pride nuthuggers all over the place. Before I continue, I want to say that I personally prefer Pride over UFC. But I do not believe the overall talent pool in Pride is so much higher than in the UFC.

Pride has FAR better heavyweights than UFC, no doubt about that. The UFC is very thin at heavyweight right now, and Pride's best fighters are now at heavyweight.

Light heavy I'd say is about equal. Now that Rampage has signed with WFA and Overeem and Shogun have moved up, along with Ninja and Hendo finally having their 183 lb weight class, Light heavy (or middleweight as it's called in Pride) is getting thinner. UFC has Babalu, Liddell, Tito, Griffin, and Vera is planning on dropping down and fighting at that class. Pride has Wand, Little Nog, Arona, etc. I'd still give Pride the edge, but they're very even. I don't prefer one to another.

But when it comes to middleweights and welterweights, the UFC smashes Pride. Pride's entire middleweight division is Hendo and Kang. Ninja has been disappointing lately. There's simply NO other hugely talented fighters in the division. UFC has Franklin, Tanner, Salaverry, Horn, Loiaseau, Swick, Riggs, Doerkson, Marquardt, and Lindland if he stops being lazy and comes back to challenge Franklin for the title. As for welterweights, UFC has Hughes, GSP, Penn, Karo, Fickett, Diaz, Goulet, Sanchez, Stevenson, Trigg, Sherk... you can't deny that talent pool.

As far as LW divisions go, you can't really argue it yet, because UFC still has yet to establish their LW division. But I'd say they're about equal as well, especially if Penn drops down.

As far as styles, I'm not a big fan of guys like Hughes' or Sanchez's style either. But UFC's cage caters to the wrestlers, Couture showed this to everybody years ago. I'd rather watch strikers and grapplers than wrestlers, because they tend to have a fighting style that isn't as exciting to watch. That is mostly my reason for preferring Pride matches. But I love UFC all the same, and would never hate on it.

Another thing that really bothered me about your post was your use of "MMA math". Saying things like "Liddell would get crushed by Wand because Wand ruined Rampage twice and Rampage beat Liddell" is bullshit. Styles make fights, and it's impossible to say that somebody would beat somebody else just because of a prior fight. If it were, then that would be a contradiction, because Vitor made a fool out of Wand and knocked him the **** out in less than 30 seconds, yet Liddell fought Vitor and beat him soundly. Fighters are always evolving, and styles clash much more than pure physical ability. Think about this as well, Rampage KO'd Arona, but Arona then beat Silva. How would it then be possible for Wand to dominate Rampage twice?

Your logic doesn't make sense... please don't use any of that ghey MMA math anymore. That **** reeks of MMA newbness, and you obviously are not an MMA newb.

PS - Paragraphs are your friend.

Last edited by Vendetta; 06-05-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

pride fighting is just great. I like to think of UFC being like commercial mma. while pride is your real ****. although i like UFC alot, great fighters. but i have to hold my hand up to pride fighting. whats really good is muay tia and tia land fighting. god i love that stuff
Old 06-05-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

great bost btw, agreed 110 percent
Old 06-05-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why would hughes go for knockouts when his strength is his ground and pound. he just beat royce easily and royce was supposedly the best submission guy ever. its just stupid for him to sit there and swing with someone. and how many times has hughes been ko'ed? once because of a flying knee. its all about strategy
Old 06-05-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ONLY watch pride for the ring announcer

"WANDERLEEEEIIIII SEEEEEEEEIIIIILLVVVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Teching In

I don't get to see any PRIDE fights except for the net..
I see UFC on SPIKE but i don't know when they broadcast pride.

FEDOR is a MAXIMUM striker and Submission guy. I'd like to see a video where he fights his Toughest opponent...to see him tested a bit.

Every vid i see he beats somebody's *** in 2 minutes
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by astrochimp

FEDOR is a MAXIMUM striker and Submission guy. I'd like to see a video where he fights his Toughest opponent...to see him tested a bit.

I believe Crocop wen the distance with him.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by astrochimp

See if you can find the vid of his fight with Fujita. Fujita rocked him good but Fedor ended up staying with him and choked him out. He never totally recovered from it though, he was wobbly for the rest of the fight until he subbed him.

Originally Posted by 02ZOh6
I believe Crocop wen the distance with him.
Crocop went the distance with him, but Fedor won pretty soundly... the decision was no surprise.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:38 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by Vendetta
I'm sorry man, but your post is full of garbage. There are a ton of Pride nuthuggers all over the place. Before I continue, I want to say that I personally prefer Pride over UFC. But I do not believe the overall talent pool in Pride is so much higher than in the UFC.

Pride has FAR better heavyweights than UFC, no doubt about that. The UFC is very thin at heavyweight right now, and Pride's best fighters are now at heavyweight.

Light heavy I'd say is about equal. Now that Rampage has signed with WFA and Overeem and Shogun have moved up, along with Ninja and Hendo finally having their 183 lb weight class, Light heavy (or middleweight as it's called in Pride) is getting thinner. UFC has Babalu, Liddell, Tito, Griffin, and Vera is planning on dropping down and fighting at that class. Pride has Wand, Little Nog, Arona, etc. I'd still give Pride the edge, but they're very even. I don't prefer one to another.

But when it comes to middleweights and welterweights, the UFC smashes Pride. Pride's entire middleweight division is Hendo and Kang. Ninja has been disappointing lately. There's simply NO other hugely talented fighters in the division. UFC has Franklin, Tanner, Salaverry, Horn, Loiaseau, Swick, Riggs, Doerkson, Marquardt, and Lindland if he stops being lazy and comes back to challenge Franklin for the title. As for welterweights, UFC has Hughes, GSP, Penn, Karo, Fickett, Diaz, Goulet, Sanchez, Stevenson, Trigg, Sherk... you can't deny that talent pool.

As far as LW divisions go, you can't really argue it yet, because UFC still has yet to establish their LW division. But I'd say they're about equal as well, especially if Penn drops down.

As far as styles, I'm not a big fan of guys like Hughes' or Sanchez's style either. But UFC's cage caters to the wrestlers, Couture showed this to everybody years ago. I'd rather watch strikers and grapplers than wrestlers, because they tend to have a fighting style that isn't as exciting to watch. That is mostly my reason for preferring Pride matches. But I love UFC all the same, and would never hate on it.

Another thing that really bothered me about your post was your use of "MMA math". Saying things like "Liddell would get crushed by Wand because Wand ruined Rampage twice and Rampage beat Liddell" is bullshit. Styles make fights, and it's impossible to say that somebody would beat somebody else just because of a prior fight. If it were, then that would be a contradiction, because Vitor made a fool out of Wand and knocked him the **** out in less than 30 seconds, yet Liddell fought Vitor and beat him soundly. Fighters are always evolving, and styles clash much more than pure physical ability. Think about this as well, Rampage KO'd Arona, but Arona then beat Silva. How would it then be possible for Wand to dominate Rampage twice?

Your logic doesn't make sense... please don't use any of that ghey MMA math anymore. That **** reeks of MMA newbness, and you obviously are not an MMA newb.

PS - Paragraphs are your friend.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with you whole heartedly. I personally prefer Pride because as you stated it's not in the cage, it's in the ring which makes it a more striking based match up. I really enjoy watching UFC too, just not as much because of the way it allows wrestles to use the terrain as an advantage. In the ring a wrestler on the ground has no advantages, such as propping their opponent against the cage. I also like the fact that Pride has super heavy weight and allows fighters to fight across weight classes. This brings fans great fights such as Wanderlei Vs Crocop. I'm sure plenty of people would love to see certain fighters in UFC mix it up across weight classes periodically. Lets really prove who's the pound for pound best fighter.

With the talent pool idea, i was just trying to compare what Pride has / doesn't have to what the UFC has / doesn't have . I've personally never seen a Pride light weight fight on TV and single digit times on UFC. Whether anyone likes it or not the heavy weight division will always have the greatest draw. It's like that in any sort of fight sport. What I also think has a huge effect on the talent is the fact that the UFC is an American based organization vs Pride which is based out of Japan. The UFC being an American company makes it easier for North American fighters to get in on the action. Japan is a very remote part of the eastern hemisphere almost making it impossible for many fighters to get there. Hence the reason there so many European fighters in the UFC.

With the math thing I was just trying to compare fighters across the companies that we might never see fight, I just tried to avoid what you said at the end and not make it seem like some undistinguishable, endless loop. What I was really trying to point out with the Hughes Vs Fisher comparison was to give an example that is very close to the same sort of fighter who's gaining popularity and compare their stats / styles. With those stats I was trying to point out was the fact that Hughes popularity is due to the fact that he's the champ, not his fighting style. What makes fighters popular besides being the champ is their style and I just don't think Matt Hughes is poplular because of his style. I think Spencer Fisher is gaining popularity due to his hard hitting style that gives the fans something to watch besides a man laying on top of another man for 5-10+ minutes of a 15-25 minute fight.

I'll always give fighters like Hughes and Noguiera respect for being a good fighter or the champ even if I don't like their styles, but if you look at someone like Fedor you'll see he's popular because of his amazing ability. The fact that his style is obviously greater than anyone elses or that he's the champion of Pride doesn't hurt either.

PS - Sorry about the lack of paragraphs on the last responses, I was trying to make them the best I could content wise. Also this post took a long time too, so responses.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:43 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Fedor vs Fujita is in the Fedor compilation someone posted earlier. Fujita's head is a freaking brick, I don't think he's ever been knocked out. Don't believe me? Find the fight where he fought Ken Shamrock. I was so amazed he took a beating like that and still won, even if it was because Ken threw in the towell.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Board Certified Idiot

I kinda thought matt was going to take that win before that match even took place.. Looked preety ez for him actualy
Old 06-06-2006, 09:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
Fedor vs Fujita is in the Fedor compilation someone posted earlier. Fujita's head is a freaking brick, I don't think he's ever been knocked out. Don't believe me? Find the fight where he fought Ken Shamrock. I was so amazed he took a beating like that and still won, even if it was because Ken threw in the towell.
Fujita vs. Hunt would be awesome to see in the next round of the HWGP
Old 06-06-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.fazed.net/out/?id=9706
I also think that Pride fighters are better. I still think if rampage and chuck fought Rampage would destroy his *** again. Wanderlei and Fedor are just to GOOD period.