Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Video of my accident on 264, on Monday.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Video of my accident on 264, on Monday.

Click here to see Video

Hey here is the video that we had of the accident. We were not racing or anything, I was trying to keep up with my buddy to try and get a good sound clip of his new exhaust. What do you guys think???
Its not the best video, but you get the idea

Lane
Old 01-19-2007, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

that is my greatest fear on the road. was the car totaled
Old 01-19-2007, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

No pics of the damage are in the paint and body section... I got really lucky. I mean really lucky, It was in rush hour traffic, All I remember is trying to gas out it when I was sliding, and there was no engine response. It died I guess, I dont know why either, I guess it might be a safety feature or something.

Lane
Old 01-19-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn dude, that's rough. it was stupid for accelerating that fast during that kind of traffic (i doubt i need to tell you this ), but at the same time, that guy never even looked when he moved over word of advice: don't use that video in court. at least the car sounded good.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Kinda made me cringe...I've been in that same boat, only been more lucky than you were. Really, it kinda was your fault since you were getting on it...most people on the interstate have the reasonable expectation that you aren't going much over the speed limit, so they can feel free to merge when they need to...but at the same time, they probably weren't paying attention at all to what was going on.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

man you crossed over 3 lanes of traffic....i wouldnt show that video to too many people....looks to me like you were at fault...
Old 01-19-2007, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

are you part of the hrfbody here in norfolk?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by calz28
are you part of the hrfbody here in norfolk?
Yeah I am, I know they are having a BBQ This weekend but can't make it. Duty...

Well the speed posted is 55. But if you have ever drivin here, that means 65, I was going around 75 trying to get in front of a whole bunch of traffic as soon as I got in the HOV lane i got off the throttle, witch granit was not very long, To slow back down with the traffic flow. Yeah I should not have shot across those lanes like that, but you should always look before you move to the next lane, that guy moved way to fast over to even bother lookin... The cop asked how fast I was going and I said 65, and the lady I hit said she was going 65, no speeding tickets were givin.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

yikes - that prolly gets your blood pumping, and not in a good way either.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crazylane
Yeah I am, I know they are having a BBQ This weekend but can't make it. Duty...

Well the speed posted is 55. But if you have ever drivin here, that means 65, I was going around 75 trying to get in front of a whole bunch of traffic as soon as I got in the HOV lane i got off the throttle, witch granit was not very long, To slow back down with the traffic flow. Yeah I should not have shot across those lanes like that, but you should always look before you move to the next lane, that guy moved way to fast over to even bother lookin... The cop asked how fast I was going and I said 65, and the lady I hit said she was going 65, no speeding tickets were givin.
That guy might have looked. The way you were crossing lanes and closing in on him he might have looked and didn't see anyone.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

damn that really sucks. did you ruin your drawers in the wreck
Old 01-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh my. i hate seeing first hand vids of wrecks.. too many bad memories..i think hte guy moving switching lanes was mostly at fault, as you lose right of way when switching lanes.what was the concensus from the cops and the insurance, any tickets issued?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Even though you were speeding, you are not at fault. You have no worries. I showed my borther this Video (Indiana State Trooper). He said if he saw it happen you would have recieved a speeding ticket and the other person would still be at fault.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000SS1979
Even though you were speeding, you are not at fault. You have no worries. I showed my borther this Video (Indiana State Trooper). He said if he saw it happen you would have recieved a speeding ticket and the other person would still be at fault.
Thats what I am hoping my lawyer can do for me. I would rather pay a speeding ticket doing ten over than to pay for a Reckless driving ticket..
Old 01-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think it's a good idea posting this video on the internet? You look at fault
to me.
Old 01-20-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

This was already posted in the multimedia exchange, no?

-J
Old 01-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Default Wreck

Glad ya'll are ok, could have been much worse.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BottleFed03GT
man you crossed over 3 lanes of traffic....i wouldnt show that video to too many people....looks to me like you were at fault...
I was thinking the same thing. He probably looked but my the time he started his move, you were there.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
That guy might have looked. The way you were crossing lanes and closing in on him he might have looked and didn't see anyone.
Yeah i am gonna guess that is what happened.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2000SS1979
ask your brother to read this and watch the vid again...

**** happens, thankfully no one got hurt but... driving like that in that that traffic and not possessing the SKILL (you should be at least ONE move ahead when driving at all times, esp. that traffic) to avoid that crash is the culprit here.. I watched the vid 7X already and paused it over and over (Guess what I do for a Living) Had I saw that crash from the side of the road or going the other way even, I would've cited you for Careless Driving, and if the driver of the ford said they didn't see you until the crash as opposed to having seen you but thought they had "room", I wouldn't fault them 1%..
you could get a Reckless summons if you were doing (best guess from the Vid) 80-85 right before the crash (definition of Careless and reckless are vastly different, if you admitted to what you posted here, to me at the scene, it would be reckless), due to the fact you were trying to catch up to that other car, which in and of itself in NJ is considered a Speed Contest (you don't have to be racing someone else for that summons).. to the other driver's defense, you had just kamikaz'd the left lane, the lane they probably saw as clear, because it was until you "flew up their ***" and you Hit that vehicle from behind (from what i could tell, the camera guy, who isn't exactly goin to Iraq for any "action shots" , dropped down )... we all do stupid things, and in your mind the other driver was at fault, but just sit back for a second and ask yourself "if someone flew up out of nowhere and it was clear when I changed lanes, then I got slammed going 65mph?" can you see who's "really" at fault here?

it's happened to all of us, and I am sure I've done it to others as well.. lesson learned and I am sure the vid will keep others on their toes, remember it's rare to crash from speed alone.. most of the time it's the "unforeseen X Factors" (people, animal, object, surface condition), that make it happen, in this case an F150, but it's speed & your inability to slow in time, that caused this crash...
opinions will vary, just one from me, as I handled plenty of horrific crashes before i resigned my Traffic Safety position (more for the oncall than the stress, but I am glad to be out) and you see how my investigation would have resulted.. Good Luck, drive safe..