Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Top Gear Bugatti Veyron!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take a new Ferrari 430 Scuderia over that thing. 1/4 the cost, looks better and will rape that thing on any road course.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by plaf713
well first off you can throw everything that you have said out the window when you look at the price tag and realize that 250 miles an hour really isnt worth that much. What they go for 1.5 mil, ill buy a house, put three kids through colleges, buy a twin turbo lsx running 20 psi and have a lot left over. So they can win there awards but it really doesnt mean much if its not practical.
It's not practical?? And a twin turbo LSX running 20 psi is? Your original argument was the engine isn't impressive which is fine because it's your right to have that opinion. But it's evident based on that comment that you either haven't done your homework/research on this engine or know absolutely nothing about engines which I presume isn't the case and you do in fact know your nuts and bolts. If your gonna expand your negative opinion about this vehicle based on pricing then you should include EVERY super car out there because give me $50,000 and I'll build you something that handles better and is faster in all aspects. This car wasn't built for someone looking for a good deal at a used car lot, the people who purchase this vehicle aren't calling their bank to ensure they have the funds either. It wasn't built or priced for people like you and me who do in fact worry about housing costs and putting our kids through college so stop acting like they took our opinions seriously when pricing this car.

1000 hp is not impressive im sorry. 8 litres is pretty big and 4 turbos sounds like overkill, think about it 4 turbos. I know there goal wasnt to make the most hp but im sure they could have done it with two turbos. My point is that they make 1000 hp on this very extravagant motor but here in america we make twin turbo big blocks that make more power. I just think that the motor itself is very unimpressive.
Again do your research before presuming what they were trying to achieve with this car...the President of VW promised the press 8-10 years ago that they would produce the first 1000hp car and that is exactly what they did. Their goal wasn't to make 2000hp it was to make a 1000hp super car that was reliable and... PRACTICAL. If you watch to video that Tainted posted about the handling you would realize that this car was built and engineered to be driven by retards with the prospect of being driven daily, i.e. practical.
Show me a 1000hp car that you think is better and that can do everything this car can do and I'll slap a muffler on it and de-tune it to reduce it's output power by 40% so that it will pass emission standards like the Bugatti does. Your comparing a totally legal car to cars that are built for drag strips or race tracks but can't be driven legally or practically on the street. As far as the 4 turbo's are concerned I can guarantee you the engineers who designed this car also thought about the fact that they used 4 turbos. I would start listing the reasons, pro's and con's of it but a little research might do you some good.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Spoolin
Show me a 1000hp car that you think is better and that can do everything this car can do and I'll slap a muffler on it and de-tune it to reduce it's output power by 40% so that it will pass emission standards like the Bugatti does.
Not to be a dick or anything, but isn't the Hennessey Viper emissions legal? We know that it's faster than the Veyron. I'm not sure on handling, though. The Veyron is an amazing car, but to imply that it's the only thing that's capable of what it does is just ridiculous. Can the Hennessey be driven by an idiot with a fat wallet? I highly doubt it, but that idiot would probably wreck a Veyron as well. It would just take longer and be sadder in the end. Giving a rich guy a 1000hp car without checking to make sure he knows how to drive the car is just irresponsible. Props to Bugatti for engineering that car to be so easy to drive, but 1000hp is too much for anyone without some form of special training on how to deal with that much power.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:58 AM
On The Tree

if i had millions i would but a veyron in a heartbeat. not only is it fast it is more luxurious than so many other cars, just look at the exterior and interior. i would buy two. one for a summer car and one for the winter
Old 12-04-2007, 02:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XxGarbSxX
Not to be a dick or anything, but isn't the Hennessey Viper emissions legal? We know that it's faster than the Veyron. I'm not sure on handling, though. The Veyron is an amazing car, but to imply that it's the only thing that's capable of what it does is just ridiculous. Can the Hennessey be driven by an idiot with a fat wallet? I highly doubt it, but that idiot would probably wreck a Veyron as well. It would just take longer and be sadder in the end. Giving a rich guy a 1000hp car without checking to make sure he knows how to drive the car is just irresponsible. Props to Bugatti for engineering that car to be so easy to drive, but 1000hp is too much for anyone without some form of special training on how to deal with that much power.
Not at all bro! And I wasn't trying to be a dick either so I apologize if I sounded like one earlier. I like debating facts, that's all. Of all the supercars I would not buy a Bugatti for other reasons but to say what they were able to accomplish isn't impressive is a bit ignorant that's all.

As far as the Henessey viper is concerned I'm sure you can get it passed legally by certain smog technicians but if you were to follow the guidelines to the "T" then from what I've found no it would not pass.

Originally Posted by ARTICLE
the Hennessey Viper next up. Although the amount was minor, the Viper failed the emissions test due to minuscule overages of measured CO.
Same with the Lingenfelter Corvette...

Originally Posted by ARTICLE
The LPE Corvette was third for emissions scrutiny. After the twin sampling tubes were inserted in the exhaust pipes, the technician drove the twin-turbo 7.0-liter through the different mph tests and grimaced at the results. The LPE Corvette had passed all but one test: It failed the "at 25 mph" HC allowance by a scant six parts per million--39 ppm verified, outside the allowable 33ppm limit.
ARTICLE
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s_testing.html

Obviously every test is gonna produce different results and it would be interesting to see them test to Bugatti as I'm sure it might be getting close to the legal standards of some of the emission standards!

I think Road and Track had a great article in their September 2007 issue called "Speed Kings" The Hennessey, once she picked up speed completely annihilated the Bugatti which is severely impressive. Read the article in it's entirety and you'll pick up on why I think the Bugatti is superior to the Viper in many ways. Granted the Viper can flat out out-run the Bugatti it is no where near as impressive as the Bugatti is in engineering. Simply stated the Veyron was designed to be able to hot lap while in between runs the Viper needed it's crew to "cool the car's intake tract with ice and wet towels and warm the rear tires with electric blankets". There is no crew needed to prep the Bugatti which is why I consider the Bugatti a reliable supercar.
Each car respectively has implemented safety controls for retarded drivers as well, the Viper has programmable speed-related boost controller that helps ration the power safely to the wheels so a numb-nut doesn't do a 120 mph burnout. The Bugatti has a special key to enable top speed runs and if in that mode (as one of the video states) you turn the wheel more than 15 degrees it will raise the car back up, implement the air brake, cut the power, etc... Also the Bugatti has a phenomenal ESP controls that allow it to out handle the Viper. Case in point you can very easily over throttle the Viper in a corner and lose control as to where in the Bugatti the ESP won't let you do that, which is an example of why I believe the Bugatti is a practical super car.
It would also be interesting to find out what gas was run in each car, I don't know if I missed that or if it wasn't addressed in the article. But I would presume if the Viper was pushing 16 psi it wasn't running 91 unless it was using a lot of meth, but I think the Bugatti was in fact running pump gas. IMHO the Hennessey Viper isn't a do everything super car but an incredibly, insanely fast car.

The Veyron is an amazing car, but to imply that it's the only thing that's capable of what it does is just ridiculous.
Don't mean to sound cocky or elitist but IMHO I don't think it's that ridiculous of a statement. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of supercars out there that are just as incredible if not more incredible in certain aspects but as a complete package I don't think there is one car that can match it. If I had my pick of a supercar I would either choose a Pagani Zonda or a Koenigsegg CCX. Would they be as comfortable, manageable, practical or reliable as the Bugatti? Not in my opinion but then again I've never EVER owned one let alone driven one so...who knows.

Last edited by Spoolin; 12-04-2007 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i will totally agree with you that it is the total package, and i know that when they built the car they werent worried what the average person was going to think about it. They handling of it is amazing. That is impressive, what doesnt get me is that they needed 16 cylinders and 4 turbos to be reliable, and to get that "impressive engine" you are going to scuff out some dough. I just feel that its overkill, but i am biased towards american cars. WHen i see tt vettes and tt vipers doing the same thing i think whats the point to a supercar. and lets be honest, there isnt a place that i know of that i am going to go out and do a 250 mph run. I can think of two places, autobahn and a airport. Now mind you, this is just my opinion, its not based off of facts, when i say not impressive i'm speaking in terms compared to other supercars, i am not comparing it to a ford focus. ANything that amkes over 1000hp is impressive, to what extent is just my opinion.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Total package? Hell yea. There's nothing with that combination of speed and luxury. But just looking at the performance, which is all I care about since I'm young and don't need luxury, there are a few post-production cars like the Hennessey and Lingenfelter, that compare. As far as luxury, I'm sure you can get a Rolls or something like that to blow the Veyron out of the water with unnecessary creature comforts and stuff like that.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Teching In

That is impressive, what doesnt get me is that they needed 16 cylinders and 4 turbos to be reliable, and to get that "impressive engine" you are going to scuff out some dough. I just feel that its overkill, but i am biased towards american cars. WHen i see tt vettes and tt vipers doing the same thing i think whats the point to a supercar.
They didn't need 4 turbos to make the car reliable, they used 4 turbos to improve driveability. In the video someone posted a while back they actually have a chart comparing the torque curve of the quad-turbo setup to a twin-turbo one, and the 4 turbo version did a lot better at low revs. They could have made 1000hp with a big single turbo no problem, but it would be crap to drive.

Tuner cars making more than twice as much power than they were designed for are absolute hackjobs compared to a bone-stock production car. Motortrend actually lined up a bunch of modded high hp cars a year ago (including a Lingenfelter Vette and a Hennessey Viper). Out of 5 cars 4 failed emissions, 2 broke during the standing mile and 1 broke during the quarter mile.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Impressive car, but too bad its a bit on the ugly side.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Giving a rich guy a 1000hp car without checking to make sure he knows how to drive the car is just irresponsible. Props to Bugatti for engineering that car to be so easy to drive, but 1000hp is too much for anyone without some form of special training on how to deal with that much power.
Bugatti requires you to have at least 2 super cars before they will sell you the car. So your argument doesnt hold any water there.

And who cares if a Viper can be faster or a Corvette. Whats the build quality like? And does it even have Heat, AC, Full Audio system, comfortable seats, and something you dont see on every street corner in almost any town in the US(speaking of Corvettes, and Vipers to a lesser extent).

WHen i see tt vettes and tt vipers doing the same thing i think whats the point to a supercar. .
Yea but like I said above you get a lot better interior, a lot better build quality, Heat, AC, Decent audio(the supercars Ive been in sound good but not great), and you dont see them on every street corner.

I used to think the same thing you did and most of the people on this site. Why would I want to buy a 200k car when a 50k Vette will do the same thing with 20k worth of work? But then I saw a Lamborghini up close, got to look at it, sit in it hear it running. I was sold then, but then I got a ride in it. I was even more sold then. We only did 100 and if I wouldnt have looked at the speedo I wouldnt have known that, it felt like what 40 feels like in a normal car.

I probably wont ever afford one but seeing that car motivated me to work hard and not settle for just Average.

Last edited by BLK85; 12-11-2007 at 05:46 PM.