Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Camminlt1t/a (Bennett Humphries) Sold me a junk transmission...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Camminlt1t/a (Bennett Humphries) Sold me a junk transmission...

Well, sadly this has been over 6 months in the working and unless Discover Card will do something about it (I have a feeling not due to the time frame), I got taken for $550 by camminlt1t/a, despite the positive feedback the person has.

Long story short, I was looking for a new trans as mine started slipping, managed to find one + a 2500 Stall for $550! Sweet, as it would've cost me $800+ to have the trans rebuilt, minus converter. Bought it and when I was switching my speedo gears I noticed an anomaly in the aluminum around the tailshaft bearing. Turned out to be a crack. Contacted him, he said it left there with no cracks and that he checked just that spot and it didn't have one, must have happened during shipping, but he'd fix it if I paid for shipping there and back! That would've ran about $600 itself. Problem is, where it was with the tailshaft housing bolted on, for it to have happened during shipping there'd be much more external casing damage. Anyways I asked if he'd be willing to buy a gasket and seals kit, he said sure if I'd find one and I did and linked him. Weeks gone by and nothing, I contacted him and got a bit of a run around. Called around for pricing on just to swap cases, and it was going to run $300 (different place then the $600 quoted in a following picture), so I asked if he'd be willing to pay for some of that. I think this is about the time he started ignoring me . So I started saving up and fast forward to 3 weeks ago, I took in the two trannys to have the cases swapped, I'm not gone 45mins and they called up saying I should come in and see this. I'll let the pics and scans of the document they wrote up speak for me:
http://maxpain.lackeydom.net/Transmission/
TSI Verdict is the document, the .doc is what I submitted to PayPal (and they said they can't help me since it wasn't through eBay), the other 2 pics are my recipts for parts and labor, and then the "Transmission Pics" folder is of what I took of that piece of junk he sold me (I suggest you read the verdict to fully understand) and mine I pulled from my car.

Since then, I tried contacting him a final 3 times before I submitted the claim to PayPal, all 3 went unread/ignored. The last one I sent with the Read Confirmation, and it was never opened, yet we all know that when you get a PM that a popup window opens asking if you want to goto it or cancel. That and unless notification is turned off, you get an email too!

So I'm out $550 for the boat anchor, $600 for the rebuild and I STILL have yet to get a converter which will run another $185 I could've gotten either one BAD *** transmission for that, or a stock rebuild and a Cam or LTs. I guess this is what I get for being a nice guy my whole life.

There you have it, stay far and wide from him. And if anyone here knows him, feel free to knock his *** out for me Or at the very least make him read all the Verdict from the trans shop.

EDIT: Here's the FS Thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-lsx-p...-interior.html
Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Well, sadly this has been over 6 months in the working and unless Discover Card will do something about it (I have a feeling not due to the time frame), I got taken for $550 by camminlt1t/a, despite the positive feedback the person has.

Long story short, I was looking for a new trans as mine started slipping, managed to find one + a 2500 Stall for $550! Sweet, as it would've cost me $800+ to have the trans rebuilt, minus converter. Bought it and when I was switching my speedo gears I noticed an anomaly in the aluminum around the tailshaft bearing. Turned out to be a crack. Contacted him, he said it left there with no cracks and that he checked just that spot and it didn't have one, must have happened during shipping, but he'd fix it if I paid for shipping there and back! That would've ran about $600 itself. Problem is, where it was with the tailshaft housing bolted on, for it to have happened during shipping there'd be much more external casing damage. Anyways I asked if he'd be willing to buy a gasket and seals kit, he said sure if I'd find one and I did and linked him. Weeks gone by and nothing, I contacted him and got a bit of a run around. Called around for pricing on just to swap cases, and it was going to run $300 (different place then the $600 quoted in a following picture), so I asked if he'd be willing to pay for some of that. I think this is about the time he started ignoring me . So I started saving up and fast forward to 3 weeks ago, I took in the two trannys to have the cases swapped, I'm not gone 45mins and they called up saying I should come in and see this. I'll let the pics and scans of the document they wrote up speak for me:
http://maxpain.lackeydom.net/Transmission/
TSI Verdict is the document, the .doc is what I submitted to PayPal (and they said they can't help me since it wasn't through eBay), the other 2 pics are my recipts for parts and labor, and then the "Transmission Pics" folder is of what I took of that piece of junk he sold me (I suggest you read the verdict to fully understand) and mine I pulled from my car.

Since then, I tried contacting him a final 3 times before I submitted the claim to PayPal, all 3 went unread/ignored. The last one I sent with the Read Confirmation, and it was never opened, yet we all know that when you get a PM that a popup window opens asking if you want to goto it or cancel. That and unless notification is turned off, you get an email too!

So I'm out $550 for the boat anchor, $600 for the rebuild and I STILL have yet to get a converter which will run another $185 I could've gotten either one BAD *** transmission for that, or a stock rebuild and a Cam or LTs. I guess this is what I get for being a nice guy my whole life.

There you have it, stay far and wide from him. And if anyone here knows him, feel free to knock his *** out for me Or at the very least make him read all the Verdict from the trans shop.

EDIT: Here's the FS Thread
https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-lsx-p...-interior.html
Wow man, I just dont understand how you seem to try to run me in the ground with this. If i remember correctly i offered to replace the housing and whatever was wrong if you would send the transmission back to me for replacement. I told you that there was no way that i would pay for someone you have to do work that i would have to pay for at a high price, when i can have the same work and parts replaced for free. I know that there was no issues with the transmission when it was pulled out of my car. The stall worked fine and i had removed the tailshaft housing before shipping to make sure the that the speedo gear was still ok. Which is the reason that i say it must have happend durring shipping.
I also offered another option after you denied wanting to ship it back to me. I said that i would replace the seals that were needed for the swap then you beat around the bush for 2 weeks or so and then come back saying that i would have to pay 300+ for a seal kit plus labor. This thing had drug out 3 months by then. I then responded saying that there is no way i could afford to pay you $400 or so dollars to fix a problem that i know had to happen in shipping.
I did not set out to screw you in any situation but i offered many times to have the transmission fixed if you would ship it back to me and you denied every time. I tried to work with you and you drug your feet getting back to me. Now this, over 7 months ago i started to offer to replace it and this has drug out till now.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camminlt1t/a
Wow man, I just dont understand how you seem to try to run me in the ground with this.
Nope, just letting people know what all went down.

If i remember correctly i offered to replace the housing and whatever was wrong if you would send the transmission back to me for replacement. I told you that there was no way that i would pay for someone you have to do work that i would have to pay for at a high price, when i can have the same work and parts replaced for free.
Which clearly you must not have read the post, as I said you were willing to swap the case for a good one. Doesn't make it any better when shipping would cost more to have to sent to you and back to me, then for me to have it rebuild here. And why would I want the burnt up parts that were in yours, put back in?

I know that there was no issues with the transmission when it was pulled out of my car.
Which is damn surprising considering the parts from yours were in WORSE shape than those in the trans that was starting to slip that I pulled from my car.

The stall worked fine...
Not disputing that, except no smart person would reuse a converter from a transmission that had horribly burnt clutches and steels.

... and i had removed the tailshaft housing before shipping to make sure the that the speedo gear was still ok. Which is the reason that i say it must have happend durring shipping.
It wasn't easily visible and could have easily been overlooked. If you weren't looking at it from the right angle, which would've meant you had to have been on the right side of it (looking at the back of course) and have the trans almost level with your head. So I'm sure it just wasn't in your line of sight. As for the shipping bit, we've discussed this. There would be more broken than the inside of the case. The whole tailshaft housing would've been broken, and it wasn't at all. Which also brings me to this interesting note: The whole trans is used looking, that being not looking like it'd just been hot tanked. Where as the tailshaft housing looks brand new, kinda like if someone was to break a drive shaft and have it take out that housing. Which coincidentally is one of the 2 things the builders said could've been the cause of the crack in the location it's at, the other being improper installation.

I also offered another option after you denied wanting to ship it back to me. I said that i would replace the seals that were needed for the swap then you beat around the bush for 2 weeks or so and then come back saying that i would have to pay 300+ for a seal kit plus labor.
Actually, it was my idea for you to do that since there was no way I was going to shell out the cash to have it sent back. Transmission was shipped on "07-17-2008" with you saying "well everything is on its way....it was a little hassel but its headed your way now.....Thanks". I got back from vaca and inspected it, we started talking then suggested the seals idea and on "08-09-2008" you asked for somewhere to get the seals and gaskets. Later that day sent a message back recommending bulkpart.com, and at 5:30pm you replied with "ill find out what all is needed or if you do let me know". So clearly you didn't find anything out. So it wasn't me who beat around the bush for 2 weeks.

This thing had drug out 3 months by then.
And it's a shame that now you're even lying about the time frame. On "08-29-2008" after not hearing anything from you (not me who slacked for 2 weeks I was doing my own digging), I said that I'm going to have to ask for a refund. Between shipping day and me asking for a refund is only a month and 12 days later. So where this 3months came from, I'd love to know.

I then responded saying that there is no way i could afford to pay you $400 or so dollars to fix a problem that i know had to happen in shipping.
You "know" it did(happen during shipping), and yet the inside of the box was in pristine shape and no aluminum on the outside of the transmission was broken. To reiterate, I even had a shop saying there's no way it could've happened during shipping.

I did not set out to screw you in any situation but i offered many times to have the transmission fixed if you would ship it back to me and you denied every time. I tried to work with you and you drug your feet getting back to me. Now this, over 7 months ago i started to offer to replace it and this has drug out till now.
If I was going to pull a scam, do you honestly think I'd admit to it? So it's expected of you to say that. And try and make sense of this for me, because I'm clearly failing to. Here's what you said "hey man I checked today and to go through ups its going to cost 325", and going with that it equals $650 to have a case swapped (shipping to you and back here) yet I was quoted from one place for $600 and then $300 from another for case swap. BOTH are cheaper. So where does that make your offer sound so sweet? Again, if you're able to explain that to me, I'm all ears. But why I should be stuck fixing something that should've been in working order, I'm not sure. This is before it was taken apart and found to be a complete piece with a total half *** 'rebuild' and incorrectly done shift kit. I didn't drag my feet at all. I actually tried to contact you COUNTLESS times over these 7 months, all of which went ignored, and even the most recent ones. I also tried to work with you on this and felt I made fair requests initially with seals and gasket kit and only paying part of the case swap cost. Even if you had planned on paying for shipping one of the ways, that could've covered the WHOLE swap cost! I'd even be happy right now with the $300 for the labor!

But that's right, you're the nice guy who offered to do something for me for free, when it would actually cost $650 to do You should be a politician!

I've been damn civil and nice, up until pretty much now, and even then I've been far nicer than I'd like to be.

Last edited by Formula350; 02-26-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

he sold me a y-pipe that was crushed and cut in 3 peices!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by phantoms
he sold me a y-pipe that was crushed and cut in 3 peices!
Must have been from shipping!

Even if mine was somehow caused during shipping, it doesn't erase the fact that the internals on the transmission were WORSE than the one that came out of my car -_-

Sorry to hear you got had as well.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

I had bought an oil pan from this guy i kept getting the run around different excuses. Finally filed a claim thru paypal and got my money it took over a month this guy really pissed me off. Hope everything works out for you formula
Old 03-26-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by plum krazy
I had bought an oil pan from this guy i kept getting the run around different excuses. Finally filed a claim thru paypal and got my money it took over a month this guy really pissed me off. Hope everything works out for you formula
PayPal told me I have no claim since it wasn't bought over eBay :\
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

I would keep on trying i called paypal a few times and gave them my story and they gave him a few days to respond and he never did so i got my money back and i didnt use ebay
Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by plum krazy
I would keep on trying i called paypal a few times and gave them my story and they gave him a few days to respond and he never did so i got my money back and i didnt use ebay
How long had it been since you filed? Quite awhile had passed before I did. I was going to just pass it off since I was going to have the case swapped with my old one, and use all the "good" internals from them. Only when I found out they were junk did I finally file, which was almost 6mo later :\
Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can file even if its not an Ebay purchase, I just don't think after that long.

Sounds like the guy likes selling broken parts.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

3 Strikes and you're out? DROP THE BANHAMMER!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula350
Must have been from shipping!

Even if mine was somehow caused during shipping, it doesn't erase the fact that the internals on the transmission were WORSE than the one that came out of my car -_-

Sorry to hear you got had as well.
well.. the packaging was horrid btw too pipes were sticking out and stuff. but theres no way anything could crush that 3 inch y pipe but a car hitting speed bumps..

Quick Reply: Camminlt1t/a (Bennett Humphries) Sold me a junk transmission...