Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Possible Paypal scams!!,,you should never pay "as gift",,, PLEASE read why.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will never do business again with a seller who tries to pass the paypal fees onto the customer?? Its wrong!!
Ive sold on ebay and accept payments all the time,,,I would never think it was ok to pass the fees to the buyer when I am the one who is charged. There is many costs involved with selling,, so as a seller suck it up and pay them instead of charging everyone "stupid tax" for buying from you.
Why deal with a company who is ganna nickel and dime their customers.

If your gonna pass these fees onto the customers then atleast do it discretely and charge more for the item or add it into handling charges. Let the customer pay normally so they are still covered under paypal protection plan.
Is this too much too ask from americans? Last I heard you started charging at airports for taking carrying on bags onto the plane.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does paying for items as a gift cost the buyer any more money? It does limit them on their protection but it also limits the seller as well. IMO, it more fair than other forms of payment providing everything is as advertised. If you have a problem with it, don't do it. To come on here and say its a scam is simply not true. Its merely your opinion.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

No,,
"IF" a seller is going to rip off someone they will ask the buyer to use "as a gift" option as a guarantee that Paypal will not repossess the funds from the scammers account.
All I am saying is it "can" be the sign of a scam,,, I know that this is not always the case.
My reason for the thread was to inform people that if you choose to pay as a gift you void the Paypal buyer protection plan.
And so you know.. if I pay you for goods you pay a fee for receiving cash and I dont pay any fee. If I pay you as a gift, I pay that fee.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Banned

You do not pay anything to send a payment as a gift. I just did it yesterday to a website I am a sponsor on.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

For you people who pay paypal fees your crazy. The terms of use of paypal actually state that a buyer cant pay the fees. Its ridiculous for sellers to ask for paypal fees when they want to sell stuff with paypal. Roll it into your price if you want to recoup fees, oh but then you cant make it look cheap right? When you go and order 1200 dollar heads from a sponsor do they ask you to cover credit card fees? when you go buy a pizza with a card do they ask you to cover credit card fees? GET REAL. I will never deal with anyone who asks me to pay for the paypal fees especially when they WANT TO USE PAYPAL FOR THEIR CONVENIENCE

Also dont even bother with the paypal dispute process. Just pay with your credit card and if anything goes wrong just file the dispute with the credit card company. I had to do that with something that a ebay seller shipped me that wasnt the correct model or color. Paypal doesnt care what you get sent as long as its sent. Sad but true. Called credit card company and all was well.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thesource
You do not pay anything to send a payment as a gift. I just did it yesterday to a website I am a sponsor on.
He probably paid using funds from a Debit/Credit card. If you don't have funds in your paypal account or have your account linked to a bank account, paypal charges a tax to withdraw the funds from a debit/credit card.

Also, this thread is pointless.

There are enough scammers and idiots out there. Paypal, I believe is a good/safe way to pass money over the internet. Let's not stain it's reputation so more and more people feel less confortable using it. It's 100x better than waiting for a check to come to you in the mail, or paying a fee for a money order, and then having to wait for it to arrive in the mail, or even worse... having cash sent in a letter.

For the people that say it's the same for businesses NOT to charge us fees. Do you run a private business? I sell AMSOIL. I take a cut in my profit margins because paypal fees are included. So I know how businesses work, they just don't advertise it like private sellers do.
Why?
Often times, private sellers can't afford to get taxed her and there for every little thing, especially if the items they are selling are already cheap.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Here it is in a nuttshell.......

If your going to scam someone, then you're going to do just that.....Doesn't matter the how, just the outcome of getting something for free....

So, if it's a gift,dipute,damaged, item not a sdescribed....you get the point...A SCAMMER WILL GET YOU IF HE WANTS TO....PERIOD!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by getusum
Here it is in a nuttshell.......

If your going to scam someone, then you're going to do just that.....Doesn't matter the how, just the outcome of getting something for free....

So, if it's a gift,dipute,damaged, item not a sdescribed....you get the point...A SCAMMER WILL GET YOU IF HE WANTS TO....PERIOD!!!
Thankyou!!!!! This was just a waste of time.... yes someone can make you pay "as a gift" but like getusum said... if they want to scam you they will. How long have people not been paying paypal fees and still get scammed. Yes the guy got ripped off and I dont think it was to scam you fully. I ordered from the same exact guy a week before and I paid "as a gift" and I got my little $20 part. that is also how I got my LS6 intake and it was in perfect shape and i wasn't scammed. However, I will be more careful now and never go as a gift again but my 2 times paying that way I was not scammed. sorry for your $40 loss...
Old 04-29-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Also, this thread is pointless.

There are enough scammers and idiots out there. Paypal, I believe is a good/safe way to pass money over the internet. Let's not stain it's reputation so more and more people feel less confortable using it. It's 100x better than waiting for a check to come to you in the mail, or paying a fee for a money order, and then having to wait for it to arrive in the mail, or even worse... having cash sent in a letter.
No you didnt read my posts (it might be the title you read into, Ill see if i can edit it),,, I said nothing negative about Paypal. I like Paypal and will continue to use it, and trust it. If ppl don't what to use Paypal because they are paranoid then that is their loss. The point of the post is: "If you want to be covered under paypals buyer protection or whatever it is called, you MUST choose "pay for goods" when sending money"

Originally Posted by Lambert695
Thankyou!!!!! This was just a waste of time.... yes someone can make you pay "as a gift" but like getusum said... if they want to scam you they will. How long have people not been paying paypal fees and still get scammed. Yes the guy got ripped off and I dont think it was to scam you fully. I ordered from the same exact guy a week before and I paid "as a gift" and I got my little $20 part. that is also how I got my LS6 intake and it was in perfect shape and i wasn't scammed. However, I will be more careful now and never go as a gift again but my 2 times paying that way I was not scammed. sorry for your $40 loss...
Yes your right,,, BUT if someone scams you and you are covered thru paypal you can get your money back... if you send a gift you cant be covered, simple.
As I read your last sentence I see you got my point. All Im trying to do here is inform ppl about the protection plan paypal has,, If I would of known this info I would have my parts or my money still, but right now I have neither. I know not every person asking to be sent as a gift will scam you.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thesource
This is the screen shot of my paypal account. This is only one of the two payments I sent him "as a gift"! You will see I payed the fee, and it did come out of my paypal balance.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

Wow guys, I think I just got scammed for 1200 the payment is in limbo and that bank and paypal said basically, u need to contact him or hope he sends you the stuff, as they will not be able to stop the payment. When I asked him what a fellow member sent me a pm today 5 days after I said i was going to purchase this stuff. WOW am I stupid for sending it as a gift, I guess I can only learn from this but it really sucks to be out that money, It clears tommarrow I can only hope he sends me the LE2 Heads and Intake I purchased. I hate that no one on the site comes forward when they think something is a little out of place.....
He also has alot of other stuff listed and has been doing business on the site since november and no 1 has reported anything bad. So maybe he really is trying to save fees or whatever, I hope its the case.....

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
This is the screen shot of my paypal account. This is only one of the two payments I sent him "as a gift"! You will see I payed the fee, and it did come out of my paypal balance.

snip.
What type of account do you have?
Personal, Business, or Premier?
I know that a "business" account will charge you the fees regardless of how you send it. Otherwise, unless the money had to be pulled from a debit card, I don't understand why you were charged a fee. Also, unless my math is way off, that's not 3%, so that doesn't seem to make sense either...
Old 04-30-2010, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
What type of account do you have?
Personal, Business, or Premier?
I know that a "business" account will charge you the fees regardless of how you send it. Otherwise, unless the money had to be pulled from a debit card, I don't understand why you were charged a fee. Also, unless my math is way off, that's not 3%, so that doesn't seem to make sense either...
Personal for sure... maybe they changed the rules sence then anyhow Both payments i sent as a gift i was charged the fee,, one was an echeck and the other was from my paypal account.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im getting jipped on a set of Le2 heads I bought for the 355 going in the car, The story is long but I sent it as a gift threw pay pal as the guy on Cz28.com asked. He sent pictures and seemed ligit and had other stuff selling for sale. in responding as soon as it cleared I havent heard from him, I have also contant the site admin, and asked why he made another name or 2 and Jason said he PMd him saying he couldnt get into his account. It really makes no sense I called paypal they said they cant help me bank wont do ****, The guy is located in TX according to the IP but profile said Hammond IN/Harvey IL which is like 5 min apart over the boarder. ITs rediculous, I have never had a problem ordering stuff from anyone in this community of fbody lovers till now.
Is thier anything I can do?

It happens to everyone.

His name is william gibb from IL/In but IP texas, I have his number which he never awensers aswell, really sucks

Any help is appreciated.

Anyone port a set of heads/intake off a lt1 for a decent price to match seeing as I jst lost bunch of money but i want to have the motor done and in the car.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry to hear man!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Here is my update guys:

I got a tracking number for fed ex from him. Still leary because he told me on mothers day his mom died and had an excuse for everything. The package got to the station and was supposed to be delievered the 11th I believe, it has not and now thier is no delievery date on the site, so I decided to call and they said I would get a call today about the package and its weareabouts. well I didnt so I again called fed ex. and the lady said the weight of .02 lbs is the paper the tracking number is on. THe heads either were lost or didnt have a an adress or were never even shipped. They said they may have misplaced them. whats funny is in a PM he said " you'll get your package unless fedex ***** up, then you can call and bitch at them" well he was right they did and now it could take up to 14 days and they needed part numbers which I do not have...

so If anyone has part numbers for heads off an Lt1 camaro lmk, as well as arp headbolts and intake manifold. This is rediculous as I bet he didnt ship them as he gave another guy a tracking number aswell for the heads he shipped they never came and I assume the same thing happend. its very fishy so if anyone has any imput let me know
Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

I bought many parts from LS1tech and camaroz28 members back in January and I always followed these rules.

1. Look up the user. In most cases when a user has ripped people off, people will make threads or comment on his threads informing you of this.

2. Research previous sales history. In many websites there are trader ratings which will let you judge a user, also many people will comment on the original for sale thread letting you know they got the parts and everything was good.

3. Always use paypal, no checks or credit cards.

4. Never send the money as a gift. Sure you can be saving a few bucks but in the end if they screw you over you can't get that money back. If they suggest that option to help save what ever fees paypal has, simply tell them you'll cover the fees instead.

5. Always ask for a tracking or shipping number once they tell you they've sent the package. This will confirm that they actually sent something out.

6. Once package arrives, inspect the contents thoroughly.

7. If there seems to be some discrepancy. Tracking number doesn't work, it says package was shipped but you haven't received it. Let the seller know. And do what you can to figure it out.

8. There are alot of people out there who just want to screw someone over to come out winning, but sometimes an angry reaction on your part will bring out the bad side in someone else and both people will end up losing. So, try to treat others with respect and don't accuse anyone of anything until you are sure of it.

Well, good luck with your future trades.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes awesome advice!!

Quick Reply: Possible Paypal scams!!,,you should never pay "as gift",,, PLEASE read why.....