Negative Trader Feedback Disputes| Fraud Reports | Scam Warnings

Possible Paypal scams!!,,you should never pay "as gift",,, PLEASE read why.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Paypal scams!!,,you should never pay "as gift",,, PLEASE read why.....

Just in case you didn't realize this, it is a trend that is getting more and more popular with legit and bad sellers.
I was just scammed by a person on here who insisted I pay for goods via Paypal and send the payment "as a gift".

Even if you trust the seller, DO NOT!! Do this!!

The sellers only save them selfs cents in fees (fees are passed to you) But most important you WILL NOT be eligible for "Paypal buyer protection" and if anything happens you will NOT be able to get a refund or open a claim against the seller. This is a way for bad sellers to protect their Paypal accounts from getting shut down or funds ceased.

I got the part and was the wrong one and was useless to me, seller then offered NO return or refund,,, so I screwed myself right out of even trying to get a refund from Paypal.... THEY WILL NOT BEND ON THIS RULE.

Last edited by BCKNBLK; 04-29-2010 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Paypal sucks *** all the way around....
Old 04-15-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
Paypal sucks *** all the way around....
I have had a great expersience with PayPal on 2 sales where the seller tried to rip me off.In both cases I filed a dispute with PayPal and recovered all of my money in both cases.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a problem with a guy and paypal now myaelf. After 9yrs of using paypal and never having a problem, a guy is trying to rip me off for $600. He bought my intake and throttle body and once the tracking showed it was delivered, he claimed he didn't receive the part, but he would talk to his UPS driver. So the next day he ask me to contact UPS and let them know he didn't receive the package, so I do that, they are investigating it, UPS says it could be 2weeks before they finish. I don't hear back from the guy at all, and I think its fishy because if you have $600 of my dollars and I have no parts, I want to know whats going on, did you get an update from UPS or whatever. Well after a week goes by, he files a claim with paypal saying he didn't receive the package and paypal tells me because UPS has the case in tracer status they can't see if the package has been delivered and there's nothing they can do. I get the results from UPS, in which I paid additional insurance to for the package and they tell me that he did receive the package. I send this info to Paypal and they tell me they will let me know what happens. So now I'm out of a FAST Intake and a 85mm throttle body and $600 of my money. I'm hoping that Paypal makes this right, honestly it makes me not want to sell anything online anymore. Its not worth the headache! Sorry guys for the rant! I just needed to vent about this!
Old 04-15-2010, 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

The guy doesn't answer his cell phone now, but he's over on LS1gto making post about LS6 heads now! There are too many bad apples in this community!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here's a two months paypal case in which I was scammed $1200 in a few lines (You'll read tue info that took me 2 months to find out):

Almost two years ago, sold a T56 tranny, buyer received it and less than 5 minutes AFTER UPS DELIVERY he filed a claim saying T56 is bad. (Yup guys, he installed it in less than 5 minutes). Paypal then forced him to reship it to me if he wants the funds back. He shipped it, and because I knew T56 was in excellent shape I did NOT want to receive it, as paypal issues him a full refund UPON delivery of the package.
I refused to sign for it twice, then paypal called me saying if I don't sign it they will refund him no matter what. I signed to get the T56 back, I opened the package to find this : MOST INTERIOR T56 GEARS WERE GONE, NO SENSORS ON IT, NO FORK AND NO SHIFTER.
The ******* 9-5 PAYPAL MOTHER ******* do not get off their ******* asses and come inspect what I received back. I sent them tons of pictures to show them what a ******* scammer the buyer was. Guess what guys, ******* NADA. They put my paypal $1200 in the hole while he got a good tranny, shipped HIS old piece of **** and got his $1200 back.

There ya ******* go, this is paypal for ya. My profile signature was updated since then, nowadays I use Propay, ten times more professional than your ******* piece of **** paypal.

Good luck to ya brother, sorry about all the cursing, it's on my credit file nowadays.

Adam
Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 AM
11 Second Club

WoW! Thats just crazy!! What every happened to the "Seller Protection?"
Old 04-16-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLNLS1/RX7
I have had a great expersience with PayPal on 2 sales where the seller tried to rip me off.In both cases I filed a dispute with PayPal and recovered all of my money in both cases.
Yes your right but that doesnt matter, if you pay "as a gift" you can never get your cash back.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I send as a gift if the person has a good rating. But i never do it if it is more than a few hundred dollars. You have to use judgement and chance it. I have bought several things in the past few weeks using the gift feature and the last two should be here today.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

I thought just like you before I got ripped off,,,, it's not weather you trust the person or not,,,, in my case the seller had best intentions at first but made a mistake in sending me the wrong part and later decided he wouldn't offer refunds or exchange. The seller can still be some-what legit but LOTS of other things can come up....its not worth it, why chance it?
I will not buy from a seller if that person only accept gift payments,,, for the little money they save in fees don't fall for it. Would you ever send a person cash in the mail?

Even "IF" your package is really sent off to you, many things can happen that can leave you with no parts and no cash.

- Damaged package in shipping
- Lost package
- Send to wrong address
- Wrong item sent
- Missing items in your package
- Misrepresented parts,, different condition that was orig. stated
- Defective items (not due to shipping)
- Seller wants to delay your delivery for any reason he wants,,, and you are waiting for months
- many more

If a seller is going to rip anyone off and not send anything they will use this scam right away,,, why wouldn't they, they can get away with it and you cant do anything?

Last edited by BCKNBLK; 04-16-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Banned

Pay Pal cuts both ways guys. You can demonize them if you want but credit card companies and banks are the same exact way. Its a risk you take when buying or selling something over the internet.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Banned

As for the buyer paying additional fees for sending payments as a gift, this is not true. I have customers send me payments as a gift to save the 3% pay pal charges. I usually discount the total amount by that much to reduce the cost to the buyer as well as me.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

I've had numerous people try and have me pay with the "gift" option and I have backed out of the transaction for that reason
Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 PM

this is why you withdraw your money IMMEDIATELY from PAYPAL accounts they cannot take what isnt there
Old 04-16-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thesource
As for the buyer paying additional fees for sending payments as a gift, this is not true. I have customers send me payments as a gift to save the 3% pay pal charges. I usually discount the total amount by that much to reduce the cost to the buyer as well as me.
Why would you even want to do this,, all that for the same total?? Its not to save yourself fees is it? Is it to protect yourself so the buyer cant open a dispute?

Originally Posted by thechef
this is why you withdraw your money IMMEDIATELY from PAYPAL accounts they cannot take what isnt there
And Ive heard that paypal can and will put your account in the negative,, so it might not come out of your account but it will always be there if you tried to use paypal again.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jcurrieta
Why would you even want to do this,, all that for the same total?? Its not to save yourself fees is it? Is it to protect yourself so the buyer cant open a dispute?
Well believe it or not, 3% on a $2000 transmission is about $60 in fees. That usually helps out with the shipping cost of the unit which customers like.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

So sad. . . . . some people are just *** holes and that's all there is to it.

This is a rising danger of dealing online or anywhere else. Scams, are very easy to pull and people are desperate. Times are tough and people need to make a buck.

I am not gonna lie, I have thought about it and came up with some very easy scams. But, I can not rip off people who worked hard for their money. . . . But, there are plenty of people that will and not think twice about it.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run a small business (amsoil) and have sold quite a few items on here, and other forums. I ALWAYS insist on using paypal. So far (and I hope I dont jinx myself) I've had 0 issues with it. In fact I prefer it over any other type of payment apart from person to person cash exchange.
I have often insisted that the buyer send the cash as a "gift" because I know no one likes to deal with fees/taxes for their own money. I do offer them the opportunity to send the money as a "payment" but they MUST cover the fees.
Why should I sell items at a discounted rate, and then get hit with a fee when trying to get my money for it? Most sellers would agree with me I believe.

Also, if you're a buyer, and you're afraid to send money as a "gift", then dont, but then don't bitch when you're asked to pay the fees. If I'm buying something, I do the seller a favor and usually send the funds as a "gift" so they don't take a hit, and get the full amount I'm sending. It's a courtesy thing IMO. However, if you don't trust the person you're sending money to enough, then why are you doing business with them in the first place?
Old 04-17-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Veteran

I use paypal for everything and you can see my trader ratings. Jason Short does too and we are both very serious in what we ship and always ship. I in fact had 1 problem last year with shippping out headers and they never made it they guy. They were lost in transit with ups and they didnt know where they went. How in the **** can my headers travel 600 miles away and then get lost in a UPS facility. They never found them and my money that i received for them had to be given back to the guy on here. THat sucked so bad and I was pissed, I dont know if the guy ever got those headers after 1 month of a paypal dispute. But o'well if he did, he did, idk. But paypal works for me everytime. since then.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
I use paypal for everything and you can see my trader ratings. Jason Short does too and we are both very serious in what we ship and always ship. I in fact had 1 problem last year with shippping out headers and they never made it they guy. They were lost in transit with ups and they didnt know where they went. How in the **** can my headers travel 600 miles away and then get lost in a UPS facility. They never found them and my money that i received for them had to be given back to the guy on here. THat sucked so bad and I was pissed, I dont know if the guy ever got those headers after 1 month of a paypal dispute. But o'well if he did, he did, idk. But paypal works for me everytime. since then.

Similar to my situation, but I always insure my packages for what the buyer paid for. Difference is that UPS investigated my package and concluded that he did receive it and this guy is still trying to get his money back. I can't afford to take a $600 hit!

Quick Reply: Possible Paypal scams!!,,you should never pay "as gift",,, PLEASE read why.....