New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008 | 03:49 PM

Default need some advice ??

im looking into buying a trans am , im probably gogin to buy a 1998-2000 ill probably purchace one by mid winter. I have some friends who own a couple trans am''s so they said they would help me out and do all the work on it. Im probably goign to do mostly street and a lil track.The car will mostly be for weekends so its not goign to get a ton of milage. im looking to spend 5000$ to 6000$ on the car after its bought what can i do to get the most power? how much will it cost? please list your suggestions...

Last edited by chrisdelk; 10-20-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-20-2008 | 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

I think most people on here will tell you do add more information. What kind of power goals are you talking about?? 400 rwhp? 500 rwhp? We need some more information.

Also, don't forget that with more power, comes the need for supporting mods. If you plan on going to the track, i would recommend some suspension mods like new lower control arms, panhard bar, sub-frame connectors.

Another factor will be with witch tranny you go with. If you get an auto, then a new stall converter would be in order, maybe some gears also. With a manual, you are looking at new clutches and possibly a new rear end if you start adding the power.

If you are able to and money permits, I would try to find a 2001 or 2002 model year. These year cars come with the better flowing LS6 intake manifold, and upgraded rod bolts over the 98-00 year cars.

As far as power goes though, just focus on the bolt on's when you get your car. A lid should be the first purchase, followed by a full exhaust to help the motor breath. Once you get the bolt on's done, that is where you figure out where you want to go as far as power levels go and which way to make that power.

I hope this info helps. Good luck on buying an f-body!

Last edited by Sgt Drags; 10-20-2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-20-2008 | 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

with 5k id say your looking at, a heads cam package, stall, gears which will put your at 450 tops depending on other supporting mods, and the rest will go to suspension. which includes rear/drop/lcs's/phb/tires/sfcs/ and other things im probably not thinking about.
Old 10-20-2008 | 07:43 PM

Im going to go with manual. and for power goals i would like to at least reach 400 rwhp . This car will mostly be for street mabe i probably wont do track for a while
ty for the advice i was wondering how much an exhaust setup would cost if headers, y pipe, and exhaust ( i was lookin at borla and loved it but couldnt find a price)
Old 10-20-2008 | 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

400 rwhp should not be a problem. You can about get that with intake, exhaust (to include Lt's and Y), ported throttle body, and a cam with a good tune. Many people on here have hit that number with these mods, it mostly depends on the size of cam you go with.

As for the exhaust, LS1sounds.com is your friend here. There are plenty of different setups that you can listen to. As my sig states, I have SLP long tubes with ORY with the borla adjustable catback on it. It's got some rasp in it since I run the full open plate and have no cats, but this sucker just screams at WOT and I love that obnoxious sound!

In all, I spent about $1850 for the exhaust. You can get a full exhaust for cheaper or more $$$, just do some research and shop around for good deals. Many guys go with true duals also and have had excellent results. As for prices, many of the sponsors of this site carry a large variety of Headers and Exhaust's. The For Sale section also is a good place to look for deals

Last edited by Sgt Drags; 10-20-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-20-2008 | 08:40 PM

ty for that advice again, im going to go check that site out.
for suspension what parts are vital for me to have for street with all that additional power and what parts are vital for my to race track.?
Old 10-20-2008 | 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

as far as exhaust goes i wanted a true dual setup over a y/catback setup... i also wanted it ran out the back as opposed to dumped like the tsp/lanes setups... i picked up a stainless bassani true dual setup and some corsa clone tips... found a good deal on some new jet-hot longtubes also and i won't be running any cats... all in all i have spent $1200 on the whole exhaust setup... if you want a true dual setup ran out the back i think the bassani kit is a no brainer as it costs about the same if not less than a y/catback setup
Old 10-20-2008 | 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chrisdelk
for suspension what parts are vital for me to have for street with all that additional power and what parts are vital for my to race track.?
For suspension, I would recommend these parts: Lower Control Arms- These help to prevent wheelhop i.e. they keep the rear tires planted to the ground. Panhard Bar- This helps to keep the rear end of the car from moving side to side on hard launches. Subframe connectors- These help to prevent chassis flex and overall stiffen up the car. IMO these should be a good start for suspension mods and will all help with getting better traction.

I would recommend this to you also: Since you have a couple of months before you buy your car, you should spend this time to research and learn about what each modification does and how it helps your car. After that compile a list of the things that you would like to get after you buy your car. Once you have your car, post up on here what your list consist of, then the more experienced members of the site will be able to help you make the right decisions on what you should get and maybe make recommendations to you.

This sight has a vast wealth of knowledge. You can always use the search button on the top of the page to help you find this information, it is a very handy feature. Good luck on buying a good f-body and welcome to the site BTW
Old 10-21-2008 | 08:41 AM

thanks that helps ill check out all the specifications on the parts. and then in a couple months im gonna put my list up on here
thanks for the feedback everyone this helping a ton !!!